How often change Differential fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rarely, I did once and replaced all fluids! I live in the desert, not many streams, much less rivers. Except for the Rio Grande, but it's federally protected. A no go zone. The snorkel is for the dust, especially in convoys...

I posted this as my Owners manual doesn't recommend service, but I've done it every 30,000 miles averagely.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I suggest you maintain your 30,000 mile service intervals for both differentials. I drain and refill mine every 40,000 km (25,000 miles), which is compliant with what Mitsubishi recommends for their severe service schedule in this part of the world. I stick with synthetic 75W-140 (primarily Motul), but in your climate conditions a quality synthetic 75W-90 will suffice. Make sure you service the transfer case as well.

I'm guessing that our weather is similar in the summer months. I always appreciate your advise Falcon_LS and others too!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Gotta keep an eye on Ford recommendations - in general section I have seen 150k and then many pages later stumble upon a 'severe' section at 30k. That's a ridiculous spread IMO so going with 40k-50k when weather is nice.
FoMoCo might only cover 60k.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
I'm guessing that our weather is similar in the summer months. I always appreciate your advise Falcon_LS and others too!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

My pleasure.

As far as weather similarity goes, the climate is pretty awful here, particularly in summer when temperatures of 135 F are common. Although not so much the case with the Pajero, 75W-140 comes out like water in my Envoy with 4.10s after ~12,500 miles, which is why I pay particular attention to the diffs. The fluid not only provides lubrication, but also cools it down.

Yota specifies 25k oci for a 80W90 differential oil, whereby my mechanic says the drained oil is goldenish and looks pristine.
I'm stretching (current SAE 90 GL5) oci to 30k or more , then go from there.

I like to do it between 36K-50K miles. The factory stuff has always been black and ugly looking for me. The next owner should appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Gotta keep an eye on Ford recommendations - in general section I have seen 150k and then many pages later stumble upon a 'severe' section at 30k. That's a ridiculous spread IMO so going with 40k-50k when weather is nice.
FoMoCo might only cover 60k.

I was looking at the OM for our 2017 4 WD Explorer and noticed the same for the transmission service, 150,000 or 30,000 mile service. For the PTU and rear axle it's NEVER service or 30,000 mile service. Kinda gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling, NOT! I guess the question is do you intend keep the vehicle past the warranty or lease. In my case yes. I'm driving a 2005 Explorer with 194,000 miles on it and it runs great, but it's been well maintained. It better last a lot longer as I put new Michelin tires on it last year
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back