How much crude oil is in a quart of engine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's absolutely astounding is the % of a barrel of crude that ends up as PLASTIC!!

Depending on the refinery/chemical plant, it can be 40%

This is interesting:
http://elsegundo.chevron.com/abouttherefinery/whatwedo/whatisinabarrelofoil.aspx

What is in a Barrel of Oil?
To some, a barrel of crude may look like a gooey liquid who’s only redeeming virtue is to be eventually refined into gasoline.

Researchers broke down a typical barrel of domestic crude oil into what may be produced. By the way, the average domestic crude oil has a gravity of 32 degrees and weighs 7.21 pounds per gallon.

Here’s what just one barrel of crude oil can produce:
Enough liquefied gases (such as propane) to fill 12 small (14.1 ounce) cylinders for home, camping or workshop use.
Enough gasoline to drive a medium-sized car (17 miles per gallon) over 280 miles.
Asphalt to make about one gallon of tar for patching roofs or streets.
Lubricants to make about a quart of motor oil.
Enough distillate fuel to drive a large truck (five miles per gallon) for almost 40 miles. If jet fuel fraction is included, that same truck can run nearly 50 miles.
Nearly 70 kilowatt hours of electricity at a power plant generated by residual fuel.
About four pounds of charcoal briquettes.
Wax for 170 birthday candles or 27 wax crayons.

There are enough petrochemicals left in that same barrel to provide the base for one of the following:
39 polyester shirts
750 pocket combs
540 toothbrushes
65 plastic dustpans
23 hula hoops
65 plastic drinking cups
195 one-cup measuring cups
11 plastic telephone housings
135 four-inch rubber balls

The lighter materials in a barrel are used mainly for paint thinners and dry-cleaning solvents and they can make nearly a quart of one of these products. The miscellaneous fraction of what is left still contains enough by-products to be used in medicinal oils, still gas, road oil and plant condensates – a real industrial horn of plenty.

d1fc03f39806642998b1bd6ea1dda2c8e2e2b674.gif

I don't see motor oil on that chart anywhere.

As natural gas can be measured in BoE, even GTL can enter into the conversation on an equivalent status...

Calculating the number of plastic dustpans must have been an barrel full of laughs for the poor PR person at Chevron.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
d1fc03f39806642998b1bd6ea1dda2c8e2e2b674.gif

The diagram is greatly oversimplified. It's not as if a distillation column has only seven trays. Dino oils would be down there towards the bottom, somewhere between Diesel and heavy (Bunker C) fuel oil. Another thing that is not obvious is tha the lower cuts can be forwarded to a fluidic cat cracker (FCC) unit and then recycled into the feed stream.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

The diagram is greatly oversimplified. It's not as if a distillation column has only seven trays. Dino oils would be down there towards the bottom, somewhere between Diesel and heavy (Bunker C) fuel oil. Another thing that is not obvious is tha the lower cuts can be forwarded to a fluidic cat cracker (FCC) unit and then recycled into the feed stream.

They could have put a line for motor oil right between diesel fuel and fuel oil. I noticed that the lightest No.2 fuel oil is about an SAE 30 viscosity, and thats before further saturation is added to the molecules and VII is added to the oil to thicken it up at kv100.

Very interesting reading... and it brings one thing to mind:

In many discussions on here about Valvoline NextGen, etc.. and the practicality of recycled oil.. it gets brought up that re-refined used motor oil is "at least as clean as crude oil".. but what I never see mentioned is that, at least based on the figures shown above, recycled/re-refined motor oil is FAR more 'efficient' at producing a given quantity of serviceable 'new' motor oil than crude oil would be.

I'm just guessing here, but I'd wager that recycling a quart of used motor oil would yield at least 1/2 a quart of finished base stock. I'm basing this on absolutely nothing.. I'm sure there are those here who will correct me. In any case, it has to be FAR greater than the 1% produced from crude.

Makes me really think that most people are missing the bigger picture in terms of using recycled oil

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
In many discussions on here about Valvoline NextGen, etc.. and the practicality of recycled oil.. it gets brought up that re-refined used motor oil is "at least as clean as crude oil".. but what I never see mentioned is that, at least based on the figures shown above, recycled/re-refined motor oil is FAR more 'efficient' at producing a given quantity of serviceable 'new' motor oil than crude oil would be.

That's probably quite true. But, remember that, despite us being BITOGers, we go through a lot more fuel than we go through finished lubricants. Does it pay for a broadly based oil company to spend time on recycling used oil while they also have gasoline, diesel, and tar to produce, and in much larger quantities?

It seems to me that it makes more sense for some companies than others. Safety-Kleen has a lot of use for re-refined base stocks. Perhaps Valvoline could make the argument, too. The other companies, and even some not too terrible large, like Petro-Canada, are providing all these other products, too.

Valvoline needs to sell motor oil. For Shell and XOM, that's probably a drop in the bucket, or a pint in the barrel, as it were.

I agree with the above: It would be interesting to know the cost of getting say a GroupII or GroupIII from old recycled motor oil (generated all the friggin' time locally) vs. from the distillation crude in the right viscosity range. Which is cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back