How many oil drain containers do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
I have a smaller one for Subaru and larger one for pickup. I move it to catch oil from unscrewing the filter if needed.

I use empty cat litter jugs so I can drop the oil off and no need to get container back.

My cat goes through enough litter, always a supply of the empty cat litter jugs.

Could that 7 qt. pan from Dollar Tree be used for cat litter?
I have a really big cat!

I use a rectangle 11 quart open top pan for all my drainings. I also have a closed top round one strictly for draining oil filters. I dont like draining into the closed top ones because they spatter everywhere!!! All the time!!! More oil ends up on the ground than in the container!!!
They both get dumped into some 2.5 gallon Rotella bottles, though they are getting worn out so I am transitioning to 5 gallon pails.

Last edited:
I have a ... pan. I drain the oil into the pan. Then I pour the jug of new oil into the engine. Then I pour the used oil from the pan into the empty jug. So, that's one drain pan, a bunch of jugs full of used oil, and a jug to collect the tiny bits of new oil that the engine didn't take.

Get some of those purina cat litter pails with the handles.

They work great for used oil, and for transport to the recycle center.

I just use some masking tape over the top to make sure it doesn't pop up during transport.

I have been using that system for years, taking two cat litter pails to the center at once.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
When I do an oil drain, I place one of these:

js11ty.jpg

I have one similar to this as my primary drain pan. Drain oil from engine, then move pan under filter.
I usually have a large piece of cardboard underneath it as well to help with any splashing (rare).

I usually empty it every other oil change into a few 4/5 qt oil jugs (Mobil jugs are good, they have large openings, as do Maxlife ATF Jugs), then bring it to the auto store to recycle the oil every few months.

For my bike, I have to use a shorter drain pan, I use the one that comes with the $5 deal from AutoZone for that, then dump it into the one above.

I have an old 2 gallon plastic oil drain pan I've used for years. probably got it at Kmart.

I drain the filter first then on to the pan. I use a 2-15 gallon plastic carboys and have a crank barrel pump to store the used oils. It somehow never gets to a recycling center though.

Had a few over the years.
The city was giving these Wesco containers away, before the great recession:
4878_1b.jpg

So that works out nicely - holds two cars' worth of oil. Just have to wash the funnel/saucer after each use. Lay it in the trunk and drive it to the O'Reilly auto parts. CA fees the oil when you buy it; the stores are supposed to take it for free.

For the motorcycle I use a smaller black plastic tub. For the lawnmower or edger I balance them on the tub and try to drain them before their weight collapses the side of the tub and makes a mess of everything. It's a stupid way, but the crankcase drain is in a place that makes it very awkward. Small engine oil changes are my least favorite.

I'm thinking I might start doing more frequent oil changes but use the oil more than once. If I actually get around to that I'll have to be more careful how I collect it to avoid contamination.

I have a pretty good assortment, ranging from a joint compound bucket homemade job to a large cement mixing tub I started using for transmission pan drops. It works amazingly well, even if I get lazy and don't extract the fluid first. Not one drip on the floor ever when I use that bad boy for a trans pan drop.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I'm thinking I might start doing more frequent oil changes but use the oil more than once. If I actually get around to that I'll have to be more careful how I collect it to avoid contamination.

I've done that a few times. Had the car high enough to just fit an oil jug and a decent sized funnel under there.

Used the oil in push mowers. Probably had ~50 miles on it. (Came out of a classic car.)

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Well Vern In Illinois
I think Sir Tanon does a real nice job with his changes and recycling

Good job Sir Tanon as I also use that recycle jug

He does not have to be a rich kid to be kind to his driveway and recycle, just considerate.
And you did not show him much love with your remark.

Again, good job Sir Tanon.

I appreciate the support. I agree - one does not have to be a 'rich kid' to follow the process I do. The metal tray was the most expensive item of the three, and even it was only mid-$20's on sale - I want to say about $27. The other two were each under $15. All up, they totaled less than $60. I think most people can afford $60 for a few car maintenance items that they will likely have for decades.

Besides, the thread question was "How many oil drain containers do you use?" Seems to me, my answer was right in-line with the intention of the question posed.

..also, for what it's worth - I did both the engine oil and transmission fluid in my Fusion this past weekend, and didn't spill a single drop of either on the driveway. I'd say my process, and containers, worked extremely well.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Ducked

I've done that a few times. Had the car high enough to just fit an oil jug and a decent sized funnel under there.

Used the oil in push mowers. Probably had ~50 miles on it. (Came out of a classic car.)

I'm thinking seasonal oil changes, maybe six months in six months out, with magnetic separation/enhanced sedimentation/filtering when its out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back