How long to run Amsoil SSO with a new OEM turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My OEM turbo was replaced under warranty about 4,000 miles ago due to excess oil getting past the turbo seals (intermittent problem for a year). I had just switched to SSO a couple of days before the oil change and the head tech at my dealer said I was fine leaving the SSO in there.

Originally, I planned to do 7,500 OCI but now I’m wondering if I should change it earlier. I suppose some of the wear metals will be high but do you folks think it will be fine? I've always used Subaru OEM oil filters with good results.

Of course if I had the money I would do a uoa every 1,000 miles. Just looking for some free advice.
grin2.gif

Thanks!

-Dennis
19.gif

7.5k may be early if it was just the seals leaking and the turbo wasn't worn.
I would do a UOA at 5k and post the results in the UOA section before deciding to change the oil.

Really, Subaru is having problems with turbo oil seals too? Seems to be a really big problem, and I'm still convinced that its due to the Japanese' horrible overly optimistic recommendations of 5w30 type EC oils. The engines can take that punishment, but once that hot thin EC oil hits the bearing cartridge of your turbo, the intense heat will OBLITERATE the viscosity temporarily, in which the oil pressures force it past the seals. Not sure if the problem is the subpar seals or the inappropriation of thin EC oil. I have a hard time believing so many turbo seals across manufacturers are suddenly faulty, though.

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
Really, Subaru is having problems with turbo oil seals too? Seems to be a really big problem, and I'm still convinced that its due to the Japanese' horrible overly optimistic recommendations of 5w30 type EC oils. The engines can take that punishment, but once that hot thin EC oil hits the bearing cartridge of your turbo, the intense heat will OBLITERATE the viscosity temporarily, in which the oil pressures force it past the seals. Not sure if the problem is the subpar seals or the inappropriation of thin EC oil. I have a hard time believing so many turbo seals across manufacturers are suddenly faulty, though.

I was thinking the same thing.

I've read that the seals don't actually "go bad" since they are made of metal (forgot the specific metal). I've seen a few posts on other sites with turbo seal issues as well, including STI's and other Forester turbo's. There was one person from Australia, but most people were in the U.S.

Before the SSO, I used GC since I was at 15k miles or so (now at 70k) and I'm now wondering if that is too thin. I asked the tech about viscosity, and he said I shouldn't need to switch to a 40 grade. Maybe it would be a good idea anyway.

I'm pretty sure 5W30 being preferred is not a "Japanese" recommendation, but a Subaru of America recommendation. The manual does allow 10W30, 10W40, 30, 40 10W50(?) and 20W50 over 100F or in severe conditions.

The turbo guys in the UK think we're
crazy2.gif
for running xW30. Maybe they're on to something.
11.gif
A diesel 5W40 might be the ticket.
cool.gif

-Dennis

The turbo leaking oil would not mess with the oil itself. Most likely just burned up in the combustion process. Depends which end of the turbo was leaking.

I think without a UOA, 12K is a safe number.

I would switch to a thicker oil all the Subaru guys i know just use plain castrol 10w-40 and pretty much all Japanese cars use 40 weight oil outside of the united states.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

Before the SSO, I used GC since I was at 15k miles or so (now at 70k) and I'm now wondering if that is too thin. I asked the tech about viscosity, and he said I shouldn't need to switch to a 40 grade. Maybe it would be a good idea anyway.

Well, GC is on the high side of a 30 anyway, so I don't see a problem with using that at all. There are tons of people that have no problems using it in Turbo applications.

Thanks for the tips folks. I'll probably go to 6-7k miles so I can have a better comparison to previous uoa's.
25.gif

Jeff - I've seen STI uoa's on GTX and Syntec 10W40 where it sheared down to a thinner viscosity than my GC.
15.gif
Short OCI's are probably fine though.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back