How long do you let it cool before draining oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few minutes after I shut it off I drain the oil. I get the vehicle up in the air, gather my tools and change the oil. If the pan is hot to the touch I put on a heavy rubber glove, if not I use Nitrile gloves. I typical take about a 15 minute ride before changing my oil. Total oil drain time is about 30 minutes or so.

I prefer cold because it is easier to work on. Especially swapping oil filters in odd positions.
But if it's hot it's hot. Not sure I have ever waited for it to cool; who has the time?

I don't understand how you change the oil when it's hot and not scald yourself. So I can run around town for an hour come home loosen the drain plug and the hot oil that gets on my hands won't be a problem?

Up on the ramps & open the fumoto valve installed on all vehicles in signature. Easiest/cleanest way about it and especially when using Fram Ultra oil Filters that you can use multiple times -- "if you choose to do so!!!'

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I don't understand how you change the oil when it's hot and not scald yourself. So I can run around town for an hour come home loosen the drain plug and the hot oil that gets on my hands won't be a problem?

It won't scald you like water will at the same temp. Motor oil dissipates heat relatively quickly. All those years I worked for Q Lube, Jiffy Lube, Texaco Xpress Lube and the independent shop I ran we serviced vehicles right off the street...never got scaled by got engine oil. Hot exhaust component obstacles were by far more of a problem than the oil ever was.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
I just came home from a drive and I pulled the car up onto the ramps before I shut it off in preparation for changing the oil. How long to you usually let a fully warm car cool down before draining the oil? I'm pretty sure it's still too hot to touch anything on the bottom of the engine right now.

On a related note, I would hate to be the pit guy at one of those quick lube places.

Until the oil is no longer hot enough to burn me . I just about always get some oil on me .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back