How long are cell phones supported?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kawie_guy
My story was in December 2017, and was an iphone5. So I'd bet your mother was very close to seeing her phone conk out too, had she kept it a little longer.
Then in spring or early summer of 2018, Applegate happened. Most Apple fanboys conveniently forget that happened, or they brush it off entirely. Yep, Apple got caught forcing people to upgrade by deliberately corrupting older iphones.
Verizon supports - meaning the phone will physically work on their network - iPhones back to the 4. Something else was going on with the phone you described earlier and it wasn't a scandal. Does iOS not work as well on older devices ? I'm sure it doesn't. The hardware is older, slower, less capable, less RAM, and so on.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
l

My story was in December 2017, and was an iphone5. So I'd bet your mother was very close to seeing her phone conk out too, had she kept it a little longer.
Then in spring or early summer of 2018, Applegate happened. Most Apple fanboys conveniently forget that happened, or they brush it off entirely. Yep, Apple got caught forcing people to upgrade by deliberately corrupting older iphones. No shock to me, I'd already seen it happen! I'm betting iphone 7 will be dead by the end of this year, and my uncle will be forced into yet another new iphone. He'd really like to get out of the rotten Apple barrel, but his son is one of those fanboy types that camps out overnight at the stores to get the latest iphone, and he helps his dad operate some functions on the ios. But I keep telling him that I'd help him learn Android, and in the end, he'd be happier. But he doesn't want to offend his son, I think.

The 4S released in 2011. If it was going to conk out it would have an entire year before the 5 would, by your logic.

Apple also wasn't corrupting anything. They were slowing down phones to prevent random reboots/crashes in case a degraded battery couldn't keep its voltage up. Should they have told people instead of hiding it? Definitely. But guess who else got caught doing it? Samsung with their android phones. As for LG, I've read enough reviews of their phones going into a wonderful boot loop to never recommend them to anyone ever.

You don't think that's corruption? And you actually believe that horse pucky story they cooked up to cover their tracks? Only loyalist Apple fans swallowed that hook. And why can't iphones have replaceable batteries? Because that's how Apple wants it to be. Helps them phase out older phones so you have to buy a new one!

As for Samsung corruption, I've not heard of Samsung doing that, and won't believe it until I see some links or something reputable. And even if they did, there's a big difference between Samsung doing that and Apple doing it, because Samsung doesn't own their own operating system like Apple does. You can always go to a different android device made by another maker, and run it on whatever carrier you choose. Your balls are in a bear trap with Apple.

And by the way, the time table for Apple phasing out phones was not linear back in the beginning. It has sped up since Jobs died (it appears).

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Then in spring or early summer of 2018, Applegate happened. Most Apple fanboys conveniently forget that happened, or they brush it off entirely. Yep, Apple got caught forcing people to upgrade by deliberately corrupting older iphones.
Verizon supports - meaning the phone will physically work on their network - iPhones back to the 4. Something else was going on with the phone you described earlier and it wasn't a scandal. Does iOS not work as well on older devices ? I'm sure it doesn't. The hardware is older, slower, less capable, less RAM, and so on.

Ask around. How many folks have iphone 5s or earlier that still work, Verizon service or any other?
I have been doing just that ever since I saw what happened, and I've yet to find one.

l

Then in spring or early summer of 2018, Applegate happened. Most Apple fanboys conveniently forget that happened, or they brush it off entirely. Yep, Apple got caught forcing people to upgrade by deliberately corrupting older iphones. No shock to me, I'd already seen it happen! I'm betting iphone 7 will be dead by the end of this year, and my uncle will be forced into yet another new iphone. He'd really like to get out of the rotten Apple barrel, but his son is one of those fanboy types that camps out overnight at the stores to get the latest iphone, and he helps his dad operate some functions on the ios. But I keep telling him that I'd help him learn Android, and in the end, he'd be happier. But he doesn't want to offend his son, I think.

The 4S released in 2011. If it was going to conk out it would have an entire year before the 5 would, by your logic.

Apple also wasn't corrupting anything. They were slowing down phones to prevent random reboots/crashes in case a degraded battery couldn't keep its voltage up. Should they have told people instead of hiding it? Definitely. But guess who else got caught doing it? Samsung with their android phones. As for LG, I've read enough reviews of their phones going into a wonderful boot loop to never recommend them to anyone ever.

You don't think that's corruption? And you actually believe that horse pucky story they cooked up to cover their tracks? Only loyalist Apple fans swallowed that hook. And why can't iphones have replaceable batteries? Because that's how Apple wants it to be. Helps them phase out older phones so you have to buy a new one!

As for Samsung corruption, I've not heard of Samsung doing that, and won't believe it until I see some links or something reputable. And even if they did, there's a big difference between Samsung doing that and Apple doing it, because Samsung doesn't own their own operating system like Apple does. You can always go to a different android device made by another maker, and run it on whatever carrier you choose. Your balls are in a bear trap with Apple.

And by the way, the time table for Apple phasing out phones was not linear back in the beginning. It has sped up since Jobs died (it appears).

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-and-samsung-fined-for-slowing-down-phones-with-updates/

And yes, I believe it. You know why? You replace the battery and you regain full performance. There is now a toggle to enable or disable it if you want. You can replace the battery, it's just not as simple as popping off a cheap plastic piece and slapping a new battery in... most repair shops can do it in under an hour.

The version of android Samsung uses is far from vanilla android. They throw their own "tweaks" on top of it, aka TouchWiz. So yeah, it's entirely possible for Samsung to release an update and slow everything down.

I'm not bashing androids, they're great for the people who like them. I've had enough bad experiences with them I'm sticking with my iPhones. They just "work." Can't tell you the last time I restarted my phone.

I can also take my iPhone to pretty much any other carrier I want. It's not that hard... just gotta pop in a SIM card and go.

Last edited:
[

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-and-samsung-fined-for-slowing-down-phones-with-updates/

And yes, I believe it. You know why? You replace the battery and you regain full performance. There is now a toggle to enable or disable it if you want. You can replace the battery, it's just not as simple as popping off a cheap plastic piece and slapping a new battery in... most repair shops can do it in under an hour.

The version of android Samsung uses is far from vanilla android. They throw their own "tweaks" on top of it, aka TouchWiz. So yeah, it's entirely possible for Samsung to release an update and slow everything down.

I'm not bashing androids, they're great for the people who like them. I've had enough bad experiences with them I'm sticking with my iPhones. They just "work." Can't tell you the last time I restarted my phone.

I can also take my iPhone to pretty much any other carrier I want. It's not that hard... just gotta pop in a SIM card and go.

You remind me of my cousin. Apple can do no wrong. I think he even has a t shirt that says that on it.
That link was for an Italian regulatory group who lumped Apple in with Samsung and simply accused them of wrongdoing. Apple confessed, Samsung said they did not slow old phones. Apple confessed because they were already in hot water in the US for doing it.

As I said earlier, I've got three Samsung tablets ranging in several years of make, and all of them work flawlessly. I can turn off auto updates very easily if I choose to. All of them have replaceable batteries that I can change myself, and all of them accept micro sd cards for extra storage. Apple products have neither.

And I'm still waiting for someone with a iphone 5 to say their phone still works. By your account, they should be able to go to an Apple store, have them pop in a new battery in an hour, and have a working phone. Show me one person who has done this! I know several folks with 2010+ Android phones that still work. They aren't that hard to find. But I know of no iphone users with phones of that era (or several years newer) that still work.

Apple flavored Koolaid must be alcoholic.

Last edited:

You remind me of my cousin. Apple can do no wrong. I think he even has a t shirt that says that on it.
That link was for an Italian regulatory group who lumped Apple in with Samsung and simply accused them of wrongdoing. Apple confessed, Samsung said they did not slow old phones. Apple confessed because they were already in hot water in the US for doing it.

As I said earlier, I've got three Samsung tablets ranging in several years of make, and all of them work flawlessly. I can turn off auto updates very easily if I choose to. All of them have replaceable batteries that I can change myself, and all of them accept micro sd cards for extra storage. Apple products have neither.

And I'm still waiting for someone with a iphone 5 to say their phone still works. By your account, they should be able to go to an Apple store, have them pop in a new battery in an hour, and have a working phone. Show me one person who has done this! I know several folks with 2010+ Android phones that still work. They aren't that hard to find. But I know of no iphone users with phones of that era (or several years newer) that still work.

Apple flavored Koolaid must be alcoholic.

Apparently so is android flavored kool aid
21.gif

The coworker I bought my wife's iPhone 6 off did exactly that. Prior to battery replacement it was showing about 70% capacity left and was throttling, proven via benchmarking. Took it in, got a new battery for $29, and the phone is as good as new. Re-ran the benchmark and it's back up to what it was when new. Yeah, it's not a 5, but I'll be sure to let you know next year if it's still working.

Expandable storage is great for people who need it. I don't. Got a 64gb phone, have 45gb free.

Once again, android isn't bad. But it's not for everyone. Just like Apple products aren't for everyone. But to write them off, call them garbage, try to make people who are happy with their stuff switch and blah blah blah is entirely asinine. Seriously, I used to be the biggest Apple hater.

But it's okay, I used to be the same way... until my 3rd warranteed HTC One blew out its speakers and I switched to iPhone. In *my* experience Apple makes a far far better product, and charges accordingly. Kinda like cars... all you need is a Camry, but that Lexus is one helluva upgrade
wink.gif

Last edited:

Apparently so is android flavored kool aid
21.gif

The coworker I bought my wife's iPhone 6 off did exactly that. Prior to battery replacement it was showing about 70% capacity left and was throttling, proven via benchmarking. Took it in, got a new battery for $29, and the phone is as good as new. Re-ran the benchmark and it's back up to what it was when new. Yeah, it's not a 5, but I'll be sure to let you know next year if it's still working.

Expandable storage is great for people who need it. I don't. Got a 64gb phone, have 45gb free.

Once again, android isn't bad. But it's not for everyone. Just like Apple products aren't for everyone. But to write them off, call them garbage, try to make people who are happy with their stuff switch and blah blah blah is entirely asinine. Seriously, I used to be the biggest Apple hater.

But it's okay, I used to be the same way... until my 3rd warranteed HTC One blew out its speakers and I switched to iPhone. In *my* experience Apple makes a far far better product, and charges accordingly. Kinda like cars... all you need is a Camry, but that Lexus is one helluva upgrade
wink.gif

So Apple is a Lexus and Android is a Camry? Hmmm.....well I guess I'll be happy with my cheaper, better equipped, and more universally optioned Camry!
lol.gif
I'll let all you Apple fanboys keep drinking that Koolaid and thinking you've got a better product just because its more money. I have fun watching y'all camp out in sleeping bags in front of the Apple store for the new iphone crack party.
thumbsup2.gif

Incidentally, I've owned 5 ipods from the 2nd one to the last one, and all of them had glitches and corrupted music files. And everytime I had to sync them with itunes, it would auto update and re-corrupt files I had just fixed. Not to mention that itunes itself had to change every other month to a new version. I was always chasing down updates and trying to keep up was ridiculous. I have now coverted all my mp3s to my Android, and have not had one problem since.

So what's next? Should we talk Harleys, BMWs, Weatherbys, GoPros, Can Ams, or some other overpriced clique junk that costs more than it should?
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Ask around. How many folks have iphone 5s or earlier that still work, Verizon service or any other?
I have been doing just that ever since I saw what happened, and I've yet to find one.

We get it, you hate Apple.... I do have an iPhone but have no love for Apple. A phone, be it an Android or iPhone, is just a tool to me.

Regarding iPhones older than a 5s, my Mom uses an iPhone 4 on Verizon. It works. Your point is 100% invalid.

I carry a couple old 5s phones to stick SIM cards in overseas and don't have to mess with (or have huge bills) my company iP7 or personal 6+ … all of them work everywhere I travel …
Those and my two iPads all use the same charger …

I have a 5s saved when a family member upgraded to a 6s Plus. The screen is so small on the 5s not interested in using it. I would rather use the LG with a slightly bad screen. The LG has been rock solid so I have no bad experiences. Reliable. Much better speaker phone quality than my Iphone ever had. Most of my family members use Apple. My coworkers all use Android. Both have their place.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

We get it, you hate Apple.... I do have an iPhone but have no love for Apple. A phone, be it an Android or iPhone, is just a tool to me.

Regarding iPhones older than a 5s, my Mom uses an iPhone 4 on Verizon. It works. Your point is 100% invalid.

I don't hate Apple products as a whole. I just hate how Apple corporate operates, some of their practices, and illogical people who can't seem to see that Apple products are not made from magical fairy dust.

Phones are just tools to me too. But I want tools that stay they way I bought them, when I bought them. At least until I decide to upgrade them, not when some billionaire CEO decides to upgrade them for me.

And no, my point is not 100% invalid. Read:
https://www.newsweek.com/slow-iphone-scandal-senator-demands-answers-apple-ceo-tim-cook-777891

Originally Posted by 4WD
I carry a couple old 5s phones to stick SIM cards in overseas and don't have to mess with (or have huge bills) my company iP7 or personal 6+ … all of them work everywhere I travel …
Those and my two iPads all use the same charger …

Do the 5s work here? If so, you would be the first I've heard of.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
I have a 5s saved when a family member upgraded to a 6s Plus. The screen is so small on the 5s not interested in using it. I would rather use the LG with a slightly bad screen. The LG has been rock solid so I have no bad experiences. Reliable. Much better speaker phone quality than my Iphone ever had. Most of my family members use Apple. My coworkers all use Android. Both have their place.

My family, friends, and co workers are pretty evenly split. No surprise that I've been involved in many of these lunchroom debates before. In the end, we all picked what we liked best based on our needs and/or perceptions/personal experiences.

For me, I'd had enough of apple updates, glitches, and underhanded practices. Plus, I needed extra storage options, and data that I could transfer from my camera to my laptop to my tablet via sd card. And I wanted universal charger for them all. One can't get any of that with Apple.

Apple's strong opposition to "right to repair", along with all the other dirty tricks they employ to force their customers to buy a new phone (when they themselves could, but won't repair a broken one) is all I need to know about that company. A guy named Louis Rossman is leading among those leading the fight against apple's tactics. He has a lot of very interesting, informative videos on YT.

As far as Android updates on older phones, it seems "flagship" phones will get supported longer than the less feature packed (and expensive) models. Usually there will always be one android version update, often two, but that's about it. I don't use the cell phone a lot, and have made sure my phones (bought used) could be rooted. I'm running Android P on one phone and a tablet and O on the HTC One (mainly because it was an official release from the carrier).

I have several older Samsung phones...Galaxy S2 (2011)...it continues to work but gradually the software wouldn't allow updates and slowly apps no longer were able to be updated and it was pretty slow. I use it to play music now. I also have and S3 (2012), S4 (2013) & S5 (2014) that still fully work, although I think the S3 is starting to have apps that no longer update...but other than that they still have 100% functionality and I will continue to use them until they fall behind like S2. Android id pretty good that way I guess.

When the S5 starts to fall I will 'move up' to an S8 or A8. I never buy the latest and greatest...kind of like I do to my cars
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
Yes, I still have an unbreakable Galaxy S that I use to process credit cards and run Torque Pro with Forscan Lite on. It even works as a phone. Don't try any GPS app on it though

I like to keep things simple. For the 5 or 10 minutes a day I use a cell phone I would prefer something that just works without much fuss. I will just use my phone with a bad screen until it no longer functions. I will also be on the lookout for a good replacement. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back