How long are cell phones supported?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iphone: Expensive

Android: Affordable, but I already received my one update.

I support a family member with a 6s. After being away from Apple for a while I kinda hate using their products. Not because they are bad. Not my cup of tea.

Years ago Sony = quality or the best. These days not hearing many good things about them.

Wife and I went in to upgrade my iPhone 6+ … (they all have X) but walked out the door with it and something much smaller … on a wrist band … really like the interaction and the amount of info you can obtain with a quick glance or scroll … (even simple stuff like temp and UV since I have skin cancer history) …
Everything hooks up with the new vehicles … so good like this for a while …

Apple stops providing updates for iPhones after a given time. Don't pretend or tell others that they support them forever.

ATT won't obsolete it from a software aspect. Again it will only be a paperweight on ATT when it lacks current network support.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
ATT won't obsolete it from a software aspect. Again it will only be a paperweight on ATT when it lacks current network support.

Thanks! That is what I needed to know.

I am kinda interested in a LG Phoenix 4 released in 2018. Best Buy has it for $40 and has good reviews. I like LG. Little smaller than what I have, but may be able to get the job done. The way I learn is by doing so may learn a few new things.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Iphone: great support

Android: Usually the Manufacturer will provide *one* update, and leave you cold... Then when your apps(high security apps like banking) no longer support your Android version, your ecosystem is obsolete.

I got a high end Android tablet from 2013, Sony Xperia Z, and Sony crapped out one OS update with the custom skins.(but it is water proof and I can use it in the shower to play music, etc.) The hardware is still quite good Quad snapdragon, but the software is so stale and obsolete. In hindsight if I knew I would be thrown under the bus, I should have bought a Ipad. It would still get updates to this day.

Now I'm stuck with Jelly Bean, because... mah Sony, yet the hardware is quite capable.

Couldn't disagree more! I have three android tablets from Samsung ranging from 2012 to 2018. They all work flawlessly. I do everything on all of them. I even strap one of them to my atv to run my gps app, and beat the [censored] out of it. I've been trained on Windows, had several Apple products, and I will never go back to either of them. Windows tries to update itself right into corruption, and Apple centers itself around planned obsolescence. I was actually standing right beside a family member when Apple decided his iphone 5 was not good enough anymore to receive calls! It was working one minute, then was turned into a "ipod only" the next. We went straight to the Verizon store and asked them what just happened, and they said it was Apple just making him upgrade. Had to buy a 7s or newer, or he was out a phone. So several hundred bucks later, he had a new phone, and I got to see why Apple sucks, again.

Last edited:
Yeah, my bill would be over $100 for what I would need from a phone. I'm happy to do all that stuff for free on my tablet, and pay only $9.98 a month to keep my flip phone for calls.

But someday, my old phone will surely crap out, and I'll be forced into the smartphone market. Might even happen sooner if this 5g thing kills it. I'll definitely go with an Android based phone of some sort on the cheapest plan I can find.

Keep in mind CDMA 3g apparently being turned off in 2020. So those phones apparently won't work after that. I haven't looked into it lately so am not sure what the latest news is.

Originally Posted by kawie_guy
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Iphone: great support

Android: Usually the Manufacturer will provide *one* update, and leave you cold... Then when your apps(high security apps like banking) no longer support your Android version, your ecosystem is obsolete.

I got a high end Android tablet from 2013, Sony Xperia Z, and Sony crapped out one OS update with the custom skins.(but it is water proof and I can use it in the shower to play music, etc.) The hardware is still quite good Quad snapdragon, but the software is so stale and obsolete. In hindsight if I knew I would be thrown under the bus, I should have bought a Ipad. It would still get updates to this day.

Now I'm stuck with Jelly Bean, because... mah Sony, yet the hardware is quite capable.

Couldn't disagree more! I have three android tablets from Samsung ranging from 2012 to 2018. They all work flawlessly. I do everything on all of them. I even strap one of them to my atv to run my gps app, and beat the [censored] out of it. I've been trained on Windows, had several Apple products, and I will never go back to either of them. Windows tries to update itself right into corruption, and Apple centers itself around planned obsolescence. I was actually standing right beside a family member when Apple decided his iphone 5 was not good enough anymore to receive calls! It was working one minute, then was turned into a "ipod only" the next. We went straight to the Verizon store and asked them what just happened, and they said it was Apple just making him upgrade. Had to buy a 7s or newer, or he was out a phone. So several hundred bucks later, he had a new phone, and I got to see why Apple sucks, again.

Meanwhile, my mother used an iPhone 4S up until late 2016 when she finally upgraded to a 7S+. Thing never missed a beat, even had it's original battery. Sounds to me like all his needed a simple reinstall, Verizon was having issues, or the genius at Verizon seized an opportunity to sell a new phone.

I've had a Galaxy s2 skyrocket, 3 HTC One's, an iPhone 6, iPhone 6s+, Galaxy s7 edge, Galaxy s8, and now an iPhone 8.

The Skyrocket was mediocre at best, but was also my first ever smartphone. I LOVED the HTC's, but the speakers kept blowing out, which drove me to an iPhone. Loved the 6, but decided I wanted a bigger phone so I got the 6s+ when that came out. Loved that as well. Switched from ATT to T-Mobile, decided I'd go back to android. Got the S7, had it about a year, dropped it in my garage and shattered the screen. That was my bad. Replaced it with the S8, which was, hands down, the biggest piece of absolute crap I've ever bought in my life. Screen burned in within 8 months, dropped it WHILE IN A CASE from <4ft high and the back glass shattered, also causes a small crack on the front at the top. At 8 months I bought the iPhone 8 and I've been happy since.

I've always had a Samsung or LG and all have given great service. One difference with Android is many apps that are baked into iOS are separate apps in Android. Safari for example only gets updated with the OS, but Chrome is a standalone app that is updated regularly.

The biggest issue with Android is the app store, if you stick to known apps you're fine. Downloading sketchy games and apps with few reviews and download counts is where the risk is. Apple tightly controls their app store, Google is more hands off (although that seems to be changing as they recognize the security risk).

Originally Posted by benjy
cell phone waves are NOT good for your health, more use + likely more problems + 5G will be WORSE.

Assuming microwave are harmful (as you implied).

When a phone is sitting it is just listening, not really much "ping" to the tower, maybe once a milli-second. The modem's battery power consumption when idle is probably 5mW, vs when in active full transfer speed (i.e. LTE 20MHz bandwidth, cat 9) at around 900mW.

The amount of power on your pocket phone sitting idle hitting your heart, is not going to be anything more than sitting next to your laptop browsing the web.

You also have to understand that most "cancer" study says microwave harm "if any" is to brain and glands, not to heart.

My wife and I both have cheap Motorola Moto G Smart Phones we bought over 4 years ago. They were pretty much old technology when we bought them. They're still getting constantly updated, and function every bit as good as the day we bought them. Both of them paired to our hands free system in our newer cars, and function well in that capacity. And they will run the turn by turn navigation in our new 2018 Toyota.

I have not read any comments, directly commenting on OP.

The first rule, NEVER EVER buy a phone from the provider, whoever that may be. The reason, most of these providers lock the phones in such a way that you are forced to upgrade it. In the past, we could not figure much out but in the age of open source and android, it is very clear. Your phone's bootloader cannot be unlocked, hence cannot be rooted. As a result of that, you can not update the OS until ATT wants to give you an update.
(This is one of the reasons why LG is not doing great in the US in terms of sales, even though their phones are actually pretty good in terms of hardware.)

So in your case, you can not update the OS.

With regards to 5G, I would not worry, just yet, it will be a few years before it will become mainstream. There are parts of the country where we don't even have 4G, some rural areas and ATT & Verizon have started faking 5G on the phones. If I were you, I would not put any bank apps or other financial or important info on this phone. You can use it for call and text purpose without any issue as long as it works. It is going to bring a lot of health issues but that is for another thread.

I have even older Galaxy S4 (Play Edition). I rooted it and installed Lineage OS, its running Android 8.0 (when google decided to stop giving updates after Android 5.1)

In the future, get unlocked phones only and before making a purchase, check on XDA forums about how big is the community for the phone you are interested in. Is the rooting method available. Are there enough people interested in making updated OS for the device etc etc.
I just got Pixel XL off ebay for $200. While google is still giving me updates, I have already rooted it and waiting for the day when google will stop giving me updates so I will move over to Lineage OS. I use my phones until they start falling apart. Once the phone is rooted, you can do so much more (ad blocks across the device for example, for which I root the phone) but you have to know/understand what you are doing.

I think you can probably view it by knowing that there are several 4G technologies that enable 5G and carriers are still interested in the money generated by expanding capacity and coverage of 4G. I wouldn't anticipate it going away for more than a few years.

Regarding an Otterbox case G Vista 2 phone did not have it a choice. When I bought it LG did not even have a manual in English and ATT had very little info on the phone. My love for this phone is the stylus. Just find it easier to do some things using the sytlus.

Regarding rooting I thought that is what hackers do? I am not very tech savvy. I would be concerned of messing up something if rooted. I do understand how older hardware can work fine with a new operating system. My 11 year old Dell I am using now is running fine with Ubuntu. One reason I am drawn to Android.

Originally Posted by DejaVue
Keep in mind CDMA 3g apparently being turned off in 2020. So those phones apparently won't work after that. I haven't looked into it lately so am not sure what the latest news is.

His phone is on ATT, so no CDMA to be concerned about. His phone supports GSM, which isn't going anywhere for a long time, at least on the "talk" aspect, as well as LTE.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Meanwhile, my mother used an iPhone 4S up until late 2016 when she finally upgraded to a 7S+. Thing never missed a beat, even had it's original battery. Sounds to me like all his needed a simple reinstall, Verizon was having issues, or the genius at Verizon seized an opportunity to sell a new phone.

I've had a Galaxy s2 skyrocket, 3 HTC One's, an iPhone 6, iPhone 6s+, Galaxy s7 edge, Galaxy s8, and now an iPhone 8.

The Skyrocket was mediocre at best, but was also my first ever smartphone. I LOVED the HTC's, but the speakers kept blowing out, which drove me to an iPhone. Loved the 6, but decided I wanted a bigger phone so I got the 6s+ when that came out. Loved that as well. Switched from ATT to T-Mobile, decided I'd go back to android. Got the S7, had it about a year, dropped it in my garage and shattered the screen. That was my bad. Replaced it with the S8, which was, hands down, the biggest piece of absolute crap I've ever bought in my life. Screen burned in within 8 months, dropped it WHILE IN A CASE from div>

My story was in December 2017, and was an iphone5. So I'd bet your mother was very close to seeing her phone conk out too, had she kept it a little longer.
Then in spring or early summer of 2018, Applegate happened. Most Apple fanboys conveniently forget that happened, or they brush it off entirely. Yep, Apple got caught forcing people to upgrade by deliberately corrupting older iphones. No shock to me, I'd already seen it happen! I'm betting iphone 7 will be dead by the end of this year, and my uncle will be forced into yet another new iphone. He'd really like to get out of the rotten Apple barrel, but his son is one of those fanboy types that camps out overnight at the stores to get the latest iphone, and he helps his dad operate some functions on the ios. But I keep telling him that I'd help him learn Android, and in the end, he'd be happier. But he doesn't want to offend his son, I think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kawie_guy
l

My story was in December 2017, and was an iphone5. So I'd bet your mother was very close to seeing her phone conk out too, had she kept it a little longer.
Then in spring or early summer of 2018, Applegate happened. Most Apple fanboys conveniently forget that happened, or they brush it off entirely. Yep, Apple got caught forcing people to upgrade by deliberately corrupting older iphones. No shock to me, I'd already seen it happen! I'm betting iphone 7 will be dead by the end of this year, and my uncle will be forced into yet another new iphone. He'd really like to get out of the rotten Apple barrel, but his son is one of those fanboy types that camps out overnight at the stores to get the latest iphone, and he helps his dad operate some functions on the ios. But I keep telling him that I'd help him learn Android, and in the end, he'd be happier. But he doesn't want to offend his son, I think.

The 4S released in 2011. If it was going to conk out it would have an entire year before the 5 would, by your logic.

Apple also wasn't corrupting anything. They were slowing down phones to prevent random reboots/crashes in case a degraded battery couldn't keep its voltage up. Should they have told people instead of hiding it? Definitely. But guess who else got caught doing it? Samsung with their android phones. As for LG, I've read enough reviews of their phones going into a wonderful boot loop to never recommend them to anyone ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back