How fast were stock 1930's Ford V-8s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by red7404
years ago i went to a LOT of drag races. my remember going to the first NHRA nationals. 1955 Greatbend, KS. but i di gress. i remember seeing flathead Ford powered dragsters get beat by Hudson in line 6 flat head 308 CI.

I live 4 miles from PBIR, (formerly Moroso racetrack) in Jupiter, FL. From time to time, I visit the track and I'm always thrilled to see the occasional flathead V8 dragster. The ones I've seen are not fast, but always cool to see them run.

I don't recall seeing one of the modern, super high output ones like this though.

Last edited:
A 4 cylinder anything, could blow away all of the time fast memories of the 32 Ford V-8, Now.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I think they were capable of about 80MPH. We used to have vintage cars come through the shop from time to time. I was always surprised that many cars from the 30's and onward were able to keep up with modern traffic without trouble. Even on I-95!

Many times, today's owners simply drive them slowly.

Given the steering and brakes of the era, owners WANT to drive them slowly out of a sense of self-preservation. My brother has a Ford Model A track roadster, and by the time you get it up to 35 mph, you feel like it's going fast enough!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back