How Elon Musk would want to punish Volswagen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
He makes millions off of the carbon credits the Govt. gives him, not off his cars.

The only reason he gets those credits is that... he sells a lot of cars. Which means -- surprise! -- people like them enough to buy them.

Which makes your wording a bit suspect, by the way. Almost like you're trying to deny that the car is an excellent and popular product.

Cars with highly questionable reliability.

...and the highest levels of owner enthusiasm in the industry, even with the reliability issues, which are no worse than for any first-gen tech, and which the company is doing a stellar job taking care of. I mean, let's keep it real.

Perhaps he is a bit envious of VW's position as one of the biggest worldwide mfgrs?

Um. No.

Again, Tesla Motors is not about cars. It's about batteries. Musk has exactly zero plans for Tesla Motors to become a big worldwide auto maker. He didn't even expect it to be a sustainable business. The point was to survive just long enough to push the industry in the direction of electric cars, and to prepare the ground for a move into battery production.

Why do you think the company opened its patents? Why do you think Tesla stores give out test drives in $100k cars like candy? Musk gives less than a [censored] about being a dominant auto maker. He's trying to push the idea of an electric car per se. And if he didn't get those subsidies, he'd have filled in the gaps himself.

Bemoan the subsidies all you want. I don't disagree with that sentiment. But to suggest that they somehow invalidate the company or its products is ludicrous. And to suggest that Musk's motives are therefore suspect is a playground-level ad hominem.

Musk's motives are... exactly as suspect as those of any successful businessperson. They are profit-driven and image-driven from beginning to end. The only difference between him and most is that he's capable of playing the long game.

Quote:
...and the highest levels of owner enthusiasm in the industry, even with the reliability issues, which are no worse than for any first-gen tech, and which the company is doing a stellar job taking care of. I mean, let's keep it real.

The owner enthusiasm is also known as "guzzling the Kool-Aid".

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The owner enthusiasm is also known as "guzzling the Kool-Aid".

Ladies and gentlemen: the anti-Tesla argument in a nutshell. One unsubstantiated Kool-Aid quip. Ta-da!

Musk's idea is sound. It is like carbon offsets, though he's talking about pollution offsets. People will have to put up with higher NOx cars on those, yet electric cars, like VW's e-Golf could make up for it.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
People get very angry about electric cars, its almost like they feel they are an attack on their lifestyles.

I got one recently, and on bitog most responses were OK. Some were upset I am getting about $11,000 discounted off my 2015 State and Fed taxes soon for buying it. There are probably some who believe burning gasoline is a patriotic duty. Idiots dot the landscape, we know. My car actually runs on coal, nat gas, wind, hydro, solar.

VW would have to agree to higher production levels and more types of electric vehicles than they were already "market-comfortable" with to make this penalty work properly.

I think one successful business person draws a lot of hates.

There isn't any incentive Tesla received so far illegal or immoral. Any corporation would try to get all incentives from Federal and State(s) legally, Tesla isn't any different than all other American corporations in all industries.

Only the very dumb CEO and CFO would refuse legal incentives that they are allowed. The main job of CEO and CFO is achieve maximum revenue legally from all various sources.

So far, I think Musk is pushing toward zero emission vehicles and he thinks that electric vehicles operated with battery is the way. He may be wrong in betting about BEV, may be Hydrogen EV is a better alternative energy vehicle.

DoubleWasp, I agreed with you in may subjects but I must disagree with you about your view on Tesla, SpaceX and Elon Musk.

I am one of few members here totally support Tesla so far, I wish them success in pushing the BEV to replace ICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back