How Elon Musk would want to punish Volswagen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If Volkswagen's punishment were up to Tesla CEO Elon Musk, he'd want the German car company to work on curing the air, not the cars.

In an open letter to the California Air Resources Board, Musk and 44 of his like-minded investor friends urged the state to release Volkswagen from the obligation to fix its cars and instead have the company reinvest the money in producing zero-emissions vehicles.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-elon-musk-friends-want-163014009.html

What do you think ? Is it a good idea or not so good ?

I think it's a good idea, instead of millions(may be billions) dollar in fined (and repair) that will be wasted by Federal and state governments, Audi spends that money to accelerate in design/manufacture zero emission vehicles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Quote:
If Volkswagen's punishment were up to Tesla CEO Elon Musk, he'd want the German car company to work on curing the air, not the cars.

In an open letter to the California Air Resources Board, Musk and 44 of his like-minded investor friends urged the state to release Volkswagen from the obligation to fix its cars and instead have the company reinvest the money in producing zero-emissions vehicles.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-elon-musk-friends-want-163014009.html

What do you think ? Is it a good idea or not so good ?

I think it's a good idea, instead of millions(may be billions) dollar in fined (and repair) that will be wasted by Federal and state governments, Audi spends that money to accelerate in design/manufacture zero emission vehicles.

It'd also accelerate the trend toward battery-powered vehicles. And wouldn't that be nice, given Tesla's plans to be the biggest battery manufacturer in the world.
wink.gif

I'd say he shouldn't throw stones in glass houses, given that Elon Musk has yet to turn a profit on the taxpayer money he panhandled from the government. I'd say he needs to stop playing enviro-Al Sharpton and fix his own problems first.

I'm certain he is in love with the idea of a company that actually makes money selling cars helping him to split the development costs.

Very low-class, opportunistic swat at a better automaker that was clearly designed to distract from his own problems.

Sounds like a not half-bad idea, really. Only problem is that it sets a precedent that other makers can use to get off the hook. "Oops, we goofed and got caught too. Instead of fixing our mistake, can we go about developing our next product instead? We PROMISE we'll get it right this time!"

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I'd say he shouldn't throw stones in glass houses, given that Elon Musk has yet to turn a profit on the taxpayer money he panhandled from the government. I'd say he needs to stop playing enviro-Al Sharpton and fix his own problems first.

I'm certain he is in love with the idea of a company that actually makes money selling cars helping him to split the development costs.

Very low-class, opportunistic swat at a better automaker that was clearly designed to distract from his own problems.

+1 How to be a great carmaker on the taxpayer's tab.

+1 to what you said.

Good luck, Tesla/Elon Musk....see if your tesla biz still around in about a decade...

Q.

Tesla Motors as we know it could very well be dead and buried within a few years.

The battery company that it's becoming will be around for... a lot longer. And, if current trends continue, VERY profitable.

Musk is a very savvy investor, and he's playing the long game. The car company is nothing more than a means to a much, much bigger end.

You realize that is factually incorrect right?

The really funny thing which you seem to miss with your taxpayer rant is that this is in reference to the VW Group...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

You realize that is factually incorrect right?

The really funny thing which you seem to miss with your taxpayer rant is that this is in reference to the VW Group...

Which part is factually incorrect?

The taxpayer money part.

I'm tired to typing it out and having it ignored, if you care google it.

Last edited:
Its very misleading, if you break those subsidies out they are not that high. He said as much in the article.

The Nevada subsidy is based on them ordering X amount of stuff that's excluded from sales taxes, and its a very large number. Again he broke it out.

Its also based on a road extension the state was doing anyway, regardless of what Tesla did it was getting built. They thew it on to the Tesla deal but it really has nothing to do with them.

The only thing Nevada gave them was land, and their is a lot of land in Nevada so the value isn't exactly high.

The rest can be broke out the same way. The article makes it sound like they got all this cash and that's what's keeping them alive, again not true.

I simply don't understand the hatred of Tesla. Its a wonderful American company, you would think people would be happy that they are creating manufacturing jobs here. But I guess its true that no matter what anyone does people complain.

SpaceX is literally making the US the world leader again in space technology and has lowered the industry costs to launch significantly. RT of course would take issue with that.

The fact is that its funded like any other company. Do they get some tax breaks? Absolutely, but so does Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Ford, GM, FCA, and every other company that does business in the US. If Boeing wanted to build a factory in Nevada I'm sure they could get some useless desert from the state to do it.

People get very angry about electric cars, its almost like they feel they are an attack on their lifestyles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Sounds like a not half-bad idea, really. Only problem is that it sets a precedent that other makers can use to get off the hook. "Oops, we goofed and got caught too. Instead of fixing our mistake, can we go about developing our next product instead? We PROMISE we'll get it right this time!"

+1
His idea is incredibly stupid. Why they would ask his opinion I don't know. Why not ask someone who is running a successful car company?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: supton

+1
His idea is incredibly stupid. Why they would ask his opinion I don't know. Why not ask someone who is running a successful car company?

That's tye thing. Nobody asked his opinion.

Or they could try the old trick of passing yourself as a responsible and green citizen by purchasing a few dollars worth of carbon offsets.

Might be a little harsh on the current media darling, but essentially a true statement.

He makes millions off of the carbon credits the Govt. gives him, not off his cars. Cars with highly questionable reliability.

Perhaps he is a bit envious of VW's position as one of the biggest worldwide mfgrs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back