How do you dispose of used oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the same questions when I dropped mine off at the transfer station. The guy didn't like my response - Well I'm sure something I have has a bad head gasket so I can't be sure of that one

I have a 30gal used plastic drum that I dump it into, friends and family dump into it as well, then every fall my buddy comes and gets it to use in his waste oil heater for his shop.

We have a recycling center near my house with a large tank that takes it. They burn it for heating in the winter. They accept antifreeze too.

In my state everyone who sells oil or does oil changes is required to accept used oil and recycle it.

When I was a kid growing up, we'd dump it in the fields behind the house.
Standard procedure. The bad old days.

Today, I open the Fumoto Drain Valve and old oil goes into 5 Qt jug.
When finished draining, cap it and take to auto parts store to recycle.

Edit: I try and NOT use Unlabeled containers.
ALL fluids go into their proper containers.
I also write USED with magic-marker.
That way it reduces any questions asked.

Last edited:
My mechanic. He heats his shop with it. A warm mechanic in the winter is a happy mechanic.

Sam

Last edited:
Originally Posted by badtlc
In my state everyone who sells oil or does oil changes is required to accept used oil and recycle it.

Mine too...

Curb side recycling with the trash. Waste Management is our local company, but they all do it around here. Gallon milk jugs...

Interesting thread, I had no idea there were so many places using used motor oil as heating oil!

As for me, I just drop it off at the nearest parts store, they all take it. Although I just moved so I have not taken it lately, I'll have to see what is nearest to me.

What is harder to get rid of around here is antifreeze. There aren't that many places that take it. I flushed my Hyundai not too long ago and I have a bucket under my bench with the used antifreeze, I need to figure out what to do with it.

I pour it back into the 5qt jug the fresh oil came from and take it to AutoZone, AdvancedAuto or O'Reileys and pour it into their big tank in the back of the store for free. They recycle it.

Are you on a municipal sewer system? If so the local municipality may permit antifreeze disposal into their system. The City of Milwaukee does so, although they encourage recycling at their centers. Glycols are not harmful to municipal sewage treatment plants as they are digested the same as organics.

Never put it into a septic system however, nor into a stormwater drain.

I dump mine in a 5 gallon bucket.
When it is full, I use the recycling tank at the local TSC.

Originally Posted by BobGoblin
I paint wooden fence with it. It prevents wood from rotting. Nice stuff. Free too.

Wood rots at the point it touches the ground not above or below.

I bring the oil to my local indy mechanic who burns it in his used oil furnace. I keep asking for $2.00 credit for each gallon. But have not seen the credit yet. I have about 8-10 gallons now. The pickup is almost 4 by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back