How do people get away with tinting a windshield?

In MA they don't care what you do except maybe in small towns with 2 cops and 1 cruiser that never get anything to do.
When I was a kid putting a cherry bomb on a car would get you pinched as soon as you left the house, ditto bald tires (they wrote them up as racing slicks) from doing burn outs but no more, today PR cars bouncing up the street from having the coils cut down with a torch, tinted windows, extreme camber, fart can mufflers are all on the menu, driving license and reg, we don't need no stinkin license and if they say they are illegal the cops cant push the issue just let them go. Fact!

The cops stop them and its racist, so no more knocking them off the head and throwing them in the cruiser to be locked up, so they just ignore it.
Trav, you need to get on with the times. Now misgendering some weirdo in a dress or using a wrong pronoun is a big problem. We gotta address the real problems. :rolleyes:

Windshield tint is so, so dumb and should be ticketed IMO. The previous owner of my Yukon tinted it really dark all the way around including the windshield and I just couldn't see out at night so I ripped off the windshield tint.
You can buy windshield tint film with a 70% VLT up to 90% VLT which is barely perceivable. They are usually ceramic-based film for better heat rejection so your AC doesn't have to work as hard in the summer time.

3M Ceramic IR
1680290191924.jpg

3M Crystalline
1680290242081.jpg

That's interesting. Don't most factory windshields come with a tinted strip at the top? So in PA you can get a ticket for a factory windshield?
They used too, not sure about it anymore. I'd imagine a tint strip is less of an issue than say 5% tint or the reflective kind. It is weird though.

Technically, there isn't one. Shops will only provide a receipt or warranty on the legal tint that was applied.

If they "remember you," then they'll take care of any issues on the illegal areas.
I’ve always gotten receipts despite having my windows tinted darker than legal.

Even with the untinted film for windshields I just hate looking through them with polarized lenses. I won't do it.

I do find 20% sides and rear to be more than effective with my climate to keep the car cool. It is ceramic tint which I think is a must if you're going to tint.

IMG-20220713-204943.jpg

Even with the untinted film for windshields I just hate looking through them with polarized lenses. I won't do it.

I do find 20% sides and rear to be more than effective with my climate to keep the car cool. It is ceramic tint which I think is a must if you're going to tint.

IMG-20220713-204943.jpg
My wife needs the bottom of old coke bottles to see so tinting anything is out of the question in the Tiguan unfortunately.

Many tint shops have no paper trail of ever installing any tint in any illegal manner whatsoever. Those jobs get paid in cash with no receipt.
False (or at least doesn't need to be true). It's not illegal to sell really dark tint nor is it illegal to install it. What the shop does is 100% legitimate and legal - customer pays for a product and service and the shop provides it. In states where there's a concern, it's illegal to have tint darker than a certain amount.

My wife's car has 20% tint (I don't like it at night) and the legal limit in Ohio is 35%. I have a receipt from the tint shop from when it was done.

Must be awesome to drive at night on a real dark back road with a black windshield. Atleast they'll never see that huge dee until its in the front seat with them.Or that person walking on the side of a dark road .

False (or at least doesn't need to be true). It's not illegal to sell really dark tint nor is it illegal to install it. What the shop does is 100% legitimate and legal - customer pays for a product and service and the shop provides it. In states where there's a concern, it's illegal to have tint darker than a certain amount.

My wife's car has 20% tint (I don't like it at night) and the legal limit in Ohio is 35%. I have a receipt from the tint shop from when it was done.
I know of a case where the shop said the only way they would do it was cash and no receipt.

I knew a person in the Air Force that had something wrong with her eyes, her eye doctor wrote a prescription for a tinted windshield and so far she's been pulled over once for the windshield tint, showed the prescription from her doc and was let off.

I believe almost all windshield have a small amount of tinting. Pay attention next time you are at a body shop or auto glass shop. Only the most basic cars have no tint at all in the windshield. I suspect most factory glass windshields have 90% - 95% light transmission, but there is some tint there.

My wife doesn't like the heat that comes through the windshield, so I have considered a number of times, getting a high VLT / high solar film on the front windshield. Something that would cut down on the heat without any significant tinting.

Back in the late 70's a friend applied a wide strip of black shelf liner across the top of the windshield of his '68 Z-28. It felt like you were driving a tank.

In Illinois, you are allowed to tint the back windows as dark as you want and the front a certain percentage. Chicago Police will ticket for it because it makes traffic stops more dangerous.

Thousands of articles out there documenting this. Maybe you should write a paper on how tinted windows does not incur of causalities/ fatalities of innocent victims, and how tinted windows is not a enabler for criminal activities. I would love to read your paper.

But if you can't grasp it- I am sure nothing I or anyone may post will impact your bias/ position.

For me tinted windows are an enabler to stay cooler and privacy would just be a bonus. Too bad I’m too much of a tight ass to get them tinted though. Lol I’ve never had a vehicle done in my life but seriously considering it for my conversion van to help with AC Aand privacy when we use it for camping while traveling.

There are medical exemptions occasionally where a person cannot be exposed to the sun that would come into the vehicle because of a skin condition. It used to be that Pennsylvania would issue those exemptions if a doctor signed off on a form. After 9/11 very very few people have been able to get that exemption even if they have a valid reason for it. But still that's probably less than 1% of the vehicles out there that are driving around with tinted windows all the way around. I know of one medical exemption case and after 9/11 they simply could not get the state to sign off on making it legal with the exemption even though they acquired that exemption on a vehicle they own before 9/11. So after 9/11 when they had to retire the previous vehicle and acquired another vehicle they simply had it done and paid cash.

Btw, the incident that I'm talking about was not a person initially having a skin condition but having a skin condition because of a side effect of a medication that they have to take on a regular basis.
I’m not getting what 9/11 has to do with Drs signing off on window tint??

Windshield tint is so, so dumb and should be ticketed IMO. The previous owner of my Yukon tinted it really dark all the way around including the windshield and I just couldn't see out at night so I ripped off the windshield tint.
One of those who think just because they don’t like it that makes it dumb huh. I’ve never done it myself but do see why others like it. It does make a car look better in my opinion and also helps with AC.

One of those who think just because they don’t like it that makes it dumb huh. I’ve never done it myself but do see why others like it. It does make a car look better in my opinion and also helps with AC.
No it's still dumb, your main avenue to view the outside world for hazards while operating the vehicle. Looks mean nothing, safety is paramount. That's right up there with tinted tail and headlights.

I’m not getting what 9/11 has to do with Drs signing off on window tint??
Doctors will still sign off on window tinting four people that really need it for a medical condition, but the states, (at least Pennsylvania) will not grant that exemption anymore after 9/11. That's what 9/11 has to do with it

Back