Window Tint

Looks great. Does the front tint mess with optically polarized sunglasses? My wife's car came used with it, and it's awful with polarized lenses (not auto-darkening, but filtering of horizontal scattering). Everything has a violet/green rainbow sheen.

M

Originally Posted by meep
Looks great. Does the front tint mess with optically polarized sunglasses? My wife's car came used with it, and it's awful with polarized lenses (not auto-darkening, but filtering of horizontal scattering). Everything has a violet/green rainbow sheen.

M

Not sure - I will try driving with my sunglasses this week and report back.

Also, I came across this thread earlier:

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/experiment-3m-crystalline-tint-makes-zero-difference-cabin-temp#:~:text=Experiment%3A%203M%20Crystalline%20Tint%20Makes%20ZERO%20Difference%20in%20Cabin%20Temp,-Submitted%20by%20TexasBob&text=I%20did%20an%20experiment%20today,116%20degrees%20vs%20117%20degrees)

I guess the poster was disappointed that Crystalline did not result in a temp reduction while the vehicle was sitting. At best, windshield tint will reduce the amount of heat and glare felt thru the windshield while the vehicle is being driven. I would not expect it to result in any temperature drop once a vehicle is parked.

Originally Posted by painfx
3M is expensive

Not really. Their Crystalline line is priced competitively with Formula 1 Stratos and Xpel XR Prime Plus.

Originally Posted by super20dan
wishn they would enforce the window tint laws better .

They have more important things to worry about.

Truck looks good though, I need to get mine done!
as a police officer how would like to approach a car with dark tinted windows on a traffic stop?

89F63390-7E82-435C-A4C3-86A990211091.jpeg

DDCEE9E3-59B5-4AD0-9D5A-AFD5261F6D7C.jpeg

78595E16-EA5B-4772-B0DD-FCAC73457AC3.jpeg

I continue to be surprised by how dark 70% window tint looks in indirect sunlight. As previously mentioned, the front windshield and front side windows have 3M Crystalline 70%. Those pictures were taken at 6pm in indirect sun. So the comments about 70% tint being unnoticeable is definitely not true. Perhaps the color and reflectiveness of 3M Crystalline also makes the glass look darker?

Also, applying 3M Crystalline 35% tint (which actually has a VLT of 45%) onto the factory privacy glass results in a final VLT of 9.7%...which is darker than I expected.

I had 20% on my 300 and it looked ridiculously dark. I think part of it is the contrast against the white, as my black car with 20% didn’t look as dark.

801B1423-92C4-4632-891E-26D1B62E4071.jpeg

Friend of mine bought a 2019 CR-V last year and wanted to get his windows tinted after seeing my truck. He decided to go with the same combo as me - 3M Ceramic IR 35% over the rear privacy glass and 3M Crystalline 70% on the front side windows. The front windshield was not tinted.

Before:
DB6967BC-7823-4B8E-AB41-7D30882527C0.jpeg

After:
E57CD11C-C5DB-44FA-94EE-44B20A2F2EEA.jpeg

Pay close attention to the light pole in the picture. It is less visible in the second picture. The front windows have a minimal but noticeable change. Despite the minimal change in VLT, the heat reduction is quite noticeable. The rear windows also have less glare.

7B47B7AA-5892-4F8A-A917-94D366D5CE23.jpeg

The lighter piece of tint on this board is the Crystalline 70%. The darker piece is the Ceramic IR 35%. A lot of folks say that 70% tint is unnoticeable (It is definitely not clear), but I definitely disagree - especially since Crystalline has a hazy rainbow look at sunset.

Last edited:
I need to see about having a strip put at the top of my LaCrosse's windshield. That's legal here, and I had it on the Regal and noticed it helped while driving in the morning.

Critic, not only does your truck look nice, but so does the parking lot and the apartment buildings around it.

I need to see about having a strip put at the top of my LaCrosse's windshield. That's legal here, and I had it on the Regal and noticed it helped while driving in the morning.

Critic, not only does your truck look nice, but so does the parking lot and the apartment buildings around it.
Thanks! None of those pictures were taken in my town, but were in the general area.
You may want to reconsider the 70% front windshield tint - when done with the correct film (3M Crystalline, F1 Stratos, Autobahn i3) the improvement is noticeable. It is technically illegal, but compared to what many folks do with their front side windows, the likelihood of being questioned is much lower.

Originally Posted by meep

M

Not sure - I will try driving with my sunglasses this week and report back.

Also, I came across this thread earlier:

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/experiment-3m-crystalline-tint-makes-zero-difference-cabin-temp#:~:text=Experiment%3A%203M%20Crystalline%20Tint%20Makes%20ZERO%20Difference%20in%20Cabin%20Temp,-Submitted%20by%20TexasBob&text=I%20did%20an%20experiment%20today,116%20degrees%20vs%20117%20degrees)

I guess the poster was disappointed that Crystalline did not result in a temp reduction while the vehicle was sitting. At best, windshield tint will reduce the amount of heat and glare felt thru the windshield while the vehicle is being driven. I would not expect it to result in any temperature drop once a vehicle is parked.

In my experience solar glass makes the interior temp rise more slowly, I would expect tinting to do the same. But over a long enough period of parking in the sun the temperature inside is likely to reach similar heights.

For my FCA car the solar glass and privacy tint is supplied by AGC automotive. They used to have very informative pages on their old website but sadly can't find them on the new website.

And, no colouring of the glass by polarised glasses, but I do see a lot of other cars with, yellow, green, blue, or purple windscreens when I wear the polarised sunglasses.

M
Finally found my sunglasses which are polarized. Yes, unfortunately the "sky" does appear purple when looking thru the front windshield. I almost never wear sunglasses so it is a non-issue for me.

Back