How do I pick a reciever? Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Since you mentioned receivers, look at Sherbourn.. I don't own one, but they're worth a look while you're comparing.

Nice suggestion there. They are now owned by Emotiva - another well regarded audio company.

The speakers you choose also can depend on what type of music you listen to. Horns seemed to be the best for rock,while diaphragm were the best for classical. Alot of speaker companies years back advertised this way. Electro Voice,JBL,and Altec Lansing were aimed to the rock consumers,while speakers like Polk Audio aimed at classical consumers.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Don't know on the room but some of the best audio gear was the made in Japan era of the late 70's into the late 80's . Some great gear can still be bought quite reasonable . Do some research .

Does Teac fit into that category? My parents always bought Teac stuff, and I still have a Teac receiver in our entertainment system that I bought back in about 1993. I had the whole system, the receiver, the 5-disc CD changer, and the dual cassette deck. I know I sold the CD changer...can't remember if I still have the cassette deck.

I believe /teac had some good stuff . Look and see if it's made in Japan , if it is I would consider it a good receiver .

Guys, I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback. Looks like I have some research to do, several brands came up that I didn't even know existed. I'm also not sold on having the surround either - I'll probably start with the front 3 and see where we go from there.

Madisound is actually about a mile away - didn't even know they existed but I'm going to need to make a trip. I'm a woodworker, so I could easily knock something together.

I started going through a couple lists of mainstream budget recievers last night, just to start familiarizing myself with what's out there. I only hit Yamaha, but one cool feature I'm putting on my "it would be really, really, nice to have" list is the two zone sound that can be controlled by an app on your phone. This will be in the basement, but we spend quite a bit of time upstairs too. It would be really nice to be able to punch up some tunes upstairs without running down the stairs... It's not a deal killer, but would a nice to have.

Last edited:
Quote:
Madisound is actually about a mile away - didn't even know they existed but I'm going to need to make a trip. I'm a woodworker, so I could easily knock something together.

Having them in your neighborhood is a HUGE plus. Being a woodworker is great because you can build your own from their plans and save lots of $$$$, plus finish them to your liking.

Went through a lot of vintage receivers and separates.
Ended up with custom built 2A3 tube amp w/efficient speakers.
Used to get lots of stuff from a few local shops and CL.
I think one of the better audio sites (forum) is AudioKarma. Some of them fellas really know their stuff.

Originally Posted By: dparm
My two cents, which many of you may disagree with...

Until you start spending big bucks, the differences between all the big names (Denon, Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, HK, etc) are slim. Some may boast slightly higher RMS output, have another HDMI input, have cleaner aesthetics, and so on. In that case, buy the one that has all the features you need. Don't get too wrapped up in the name.

Just be sure to properly size the amp based on your room's dimensions and the type of speaker: bookshelf, satellite, and floorstanding/tower. The best way to damage a speaker and/or shorten an amp's life is to be running it near full-power all the time. You need to over-provision the amp, so-to-speak.

I have owned Pioneer, Onkyo, and Marantz, and still have no particular brand preference, for what it's worth. My current one is a Marantz merely because I got an excellent deal on it.

Spend your money on a good center channel speaker and ensure it is timbre-matched to the two front channels. If you can, get some Sorbothane isolation pads under it to cancel out any strange reverb your TV cabinet has. Buy what sounds good, and ignore the name. Everyone's ears are different.

This is some of the simplest best advice in this thread. If it's boiled down to similar brands I like to look at distortion numbers first and then frequency response to pick a winner.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned NAD for a receiver. They're excellent if you want to take a step up from Denon, etc.

I still favor floorstanding speakers if you have a choice. A proper cabinet rounds out the sound in a way even the best satellite systems can't. In my case my Mirage OM-10's are so good I don't even need a sub and to this day myself and others are amazed at their quality. Since you can't get those anymore find a place you can sample Paradigm speakers.

If you're a good shopper you could put together a very nice mid-high-end system with NAD, Paradigm, and some good cables for a relatively decent price.

Concerning budget, I always try to invest according to this 'rule':
speakers: 60% effect on sound quality, receiver/amp 30% and source 10%
smile.gif

- (I know this is hard to do when doing HT, but I have no clue/interest in multichannel stuff. I am a 2.1 type of listener, as my needs are mainly for music.)

There are some good recommendations here. I stay away from speaker recommendations because that is such an individual thing. People like different balances of frequencies. As mentioned though, they are a very crucial part of the equation. Try to find a place with a great return policy and a thirty day "sample" period. Even if you purchase them in a local shop where you can hear them, they will most likely sound completely different in your environment. You need to hear them at home.

This brings me to the next topic. I HIGHLY recommend purchasing an AVR with Audyssey as one of the features. Preferably Audyssey MultEQ XT32. It is automatic room correction and it will make a VERY noticeable improvement in the sound of your system. It can help smooth out speaker deficiencies and make corrections for your room's acoustics. I have heard systems that sounded completely different with it engaged (in a good way). It makes the process of matching speakers to equipment to the room acoustics a much easier process.

For the 5.1 recommendations, I disagree. If you have the ability to easily add speakers, a 7.1 setup can be even more immersive than a 5.1. Audyssey has a process called DSX that you can use that adds 2 front wide speakers and it really does enhance the experience during movies. Even though there isn't a lot of true 7.1 source material, the processing that AVRs can do to make a 5.1 soundtrack play as 7.1 is very impressive. You also have multiple options. You can do the surround sides, front highs or front wides.

Go over to avsforum.com. There is a tremendous amount of info there and some very knowledgeable people.

Good luck!

Last edited:
1. Ignore brand new units
2. Take time looking around for a nice used unit that:
-a. Cost a lot at one point in time
-b. is heavy
-c. still works, good shape ect

Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha and Onkyo/integra are my favorites in no particular order. When it comes to speakers i go straight for JBL products, looking used first.

I have gotten many great units under 100 bucks that originally sold for over 1,000. If you look daily for a week or a month you can find great used stuff in home audio.

Originally Posted By: dareo

-b. is heavy

At one point in time, Pioneer was installing big slabs of steel inside the cases of its receivers to make them appear more substantial to the buyers.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

-b. is heavy

At one point in time, Pioneer was installing big slabs of steel inside the cases of its receivers to make them appear more substantial to the buyers.

Cheap car audio manufacturers do the same thing. I've seen Pyle amps 2 feet long, with a 10" long pcb, and a square piece of metal glued to the heatsink for weight.

I have a Denon 6.1 AVR powering Energy Take Classic speakers in my basement gaming/TV system. It sounds much better than I expected.
My main system uses a Denon 2808 AVR, Klipsch main(KG4) center(RC-3 II), surrounds(RS-3 II)m and a Hsu Research VTF-3R sub.
I've had good luck with Denon AVRs and Audyssey MultEQ makes setup dead easy. BJC provided all my cables and interconnects. Surge suppressors are Tripp Lite and plugged into hospital grade wall outlets.
Marantz and Integra are other good options. Onkyos aren't bad either but some tend to run hot. My primary advice would be to focus on speaker selection first; once you settle on them you can then match the AVR with respect to power requirements and the ability to drive the impedance loads of your selected speakers. I also recommend that your AVR have MultEQ; it's really amazing how well it can deal with most any room configuration.
And whatever you do, don't buy into the snake oil claims from the boutique speaker cable/interconnect and "power conditioner" manufacturers...

I scored a 1980's vintage Pioneer SA 8800. Had those amps in the 80's but like you, had to downsize and move around. Found this particular one on ebay and had just totally forgot what the difference in audio the SA series put out. Hooked it up to some of the newer stuff and it wasn't even close. Yeah, they are 2.0, but I got the TV/DVD player hooked up to a 80's marantz 12 band graphic equalizer then to a Pioneer RG-2 range enhancer, then to the Pioneer amp running through a pair of, again 80's, JBL 112's. The quality is just unbelieveable. Don't need a subwoofer or anything. Anyway, aim the speakers towards the viewing area and I'd be willing to bet you really wouldn't need to go 5.1 or 7.1. Your not going to get that much of seperation IMO. I have a 5.1 JBL system and comparing it to the above mentioned setup I have now, not even close. Stereo is still killer.

-b. is heavy

I would like to know more about this, please substantiate if possible.

Schmoe:
I have two Pioneer 1988 VSX-9300 that put out crazy good power, and i also support stereo only. I tried several speaker placements and different speakers and kept going back to my JBL S312ii towers only. Maybe in a ground up room designed purely for theater i would try a 5.1 or 7.1 setup again. I do have a 12 cubic foot subwoofer backing it up so technically its a 2.1 setup.

-b. is heavy

I would like to know more about this, please substantiate if possible.

Years ago, there was a thread about it on avsforum. I wish I had saved it. Someone took their receiver apart and found it.

Sweet setup. I think the weight thing mentioned above IS actually metal that acts as a heat sink. Pioneer and other vintage amps of that time used both Class A and Class B amplifiers and Pioneer came out with the non-switching amp feature that really made them stand out. Distortion factors were absurdly low. I even got a SA 710 that I want to put in my garage but I can't get rid of the cracking sound when moving the volumbe/tone knobs. Think the pots are probably dirty, just don't know enough about them to clean them properly.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Think the pots are probably dirty, just don't know enough about them to clean them properly.

Unplug the unit. Spray contact cleaner in the volume mechanism and spin it back and forth a few times. Should fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back