How can you guys afford house taxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
It's a complicated question but simply - you need to make the income necessary to support the payment. There are not people making $15 an hour entering the housing market around here. I think comfortably you need a 1:1 ratio of income level to price (because of the taxes), but most of the country is closer to 2:1.

I recall reading several months ago in the Washington Post that in 1950 the median price to median income was 2:1. Today (or in 2015, don't remember) it was 5:1. Ouch. When I bought my house I wound up at 2x and that was all I felt I could afford with one car payment and the typical other trappings of life (groceries, utilities, etc). I guess once the kids are out I could go higher (but then I certainly won't need to).

I've always been bitter about "cheap credit" since I realized that cheap credit is what (most likely) drove the run up in housing pricing. Increase demand and of course sellers will raise prices.

I guess another question is how close are your assessments to what you could sell your house for? For existing homes without a recent sale our assessments seem to range from half to 2/3 of the realistic selling price. If you bought recently they seem to assess close to the purchase price.
In our area we are assessed every 4 years, and in the last 4 years real estate prices have nearly doubled, but on average for our municipality, assessments only went up 1% and the mill rate only went up 1%...

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Yes, but some of those states have lower income taxes, sales taxes, etc. In CA, property tax is around 1.25% of assessed value. Sales tax is around 7.50% or so and CA income tax up to 10% (highest tax bracket). I would argue have to look at total cost to learning anything. I forgot the gas taxes and DMV fees...depressing.

You forgot to mention the "price of admission" in California real estate is easily $400,000.00

Those paying low real estate taxes in California have lived in their house a very,very long time. Very, very few (with the influx of new population) are seeing the benefits of prop 13 (which originally a way to keep the elderly from being evicted due to property taxes they couldn't afford).

my 25 year kid and his wife just bought a 1 bedroom condo in Culver City for 380K.

Friend moved from Chicago 2 weeks ago and found a 1900 Sq ft house in Santa Clarita for 480K. (30 miles from my crib)

Taxes are about 1% of purchase price.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back