How are these Spark plugs looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those plugs look old to me. They should have nice square edges on the center electrode. So looks like they have been in there a while... Did you re-use the old plugs?

Originally Posted By: littleant
Agree with Whimsey. Also try replacing plugs one heat range hotter. Run the car 100 miles and see what you have. Cost maybe $20.00 worth a shot.

Any idea how can I do it?

Agree with Whimsey. Also try replacing plugs one heat range hotter. Run the car 100 miles and see what you have. Cost maybe $20.00 worth a shot.

He said the car is consuming oil. Hotter plugs are not going to help that.

These plugs are Denso Platinum TT and guess they almost have 30-35K miles on them.

Yes, I guess 1 and 3 cylinder compression and corresponding spark plugs had more burning/stuff on the top of spark plug.

I am going do wet test with a different gauge, not sure if gauge is good? With some oil in #1 cylinder it was showing a value of 270, while for dry test it was 100?
confused.gif

Overkill agree on both your points. The plugs will not solve oil consumption. Do not know if he has put many miles on that head. Plugs are ash and blackened just wanted to see what a fresh plug would look like. Also agree a cylinder leak test is so muck more accurate. It will show where the problem is. To the op I did auto repair for 35 years and also had a machine shop where all I did was rebuild cylinder heads. When timing chains or belts go and valves bend (aluminum heads) the part of the guide on the combustion side cracks loosing it's interference fit. Guides in aluminum are not integral to the head they are press fit in either cast or bronze. If the machine shop misses that the guide will ride up and down with the valve. Saab's 4 cylinder heads always cracked the guides as did most aluminum heads almost 100% of the time. Did you get a warranty? Did you or do you have to send your old head back as a core?

Do not know if he has put many miles on that head. Plugs are ash and blackened just wanted to see what a fresh plug would look like.

I understand your reasoning
cheers3.gif

His latest post above states 30-35K on the plugs FWIW. Assuming they were new when the head was done, he really needs to find the root of the problem, which I think we are in agreement on
smile.gif

Just did a wet test, with another gauage and from left to right 1234

280, 280, 210, 280

I promise, it's a Civic and doesn't have a Ferrari engine in it
crazy2.gif

Now I am lost, confused and worried
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Do a leak-down.

Thanks, for leak down I need a compressor, right?

Yes. But it will tell you a lot more than just a compression test.

Do a leak-down.

Thanks, for leak down I need a compressor, right?

Yes. But it will tell you a lot more than just a compression test.

Unfortunately don't have a compressor
frown.gif

Let me see if I can get one for leak down test.

Do not know if he has put many miles on that head. Plugs are ash and blackened just wanted to see what a fresh plug would look like.

I understand your reasoning
cheers3.gif

His latest post above states 30-35K on the plugs FWIW. Assuming they were new when the head was done, he really needs to find the root of the problem, which I think we are in agreement on
smile.gif

100 %

Originally Posted By: Trav

It all started after re-manufactured head cylinder head was put on.

This is a good clue as to what the cause may be.

HUGE clue!

Mail-order rebuilt heads are from a place like a "sweat shop" or "puppy mill"
The lowest possible quality they can possibly get away with.

280, 280, 210, 280

crazy2.gif

frown.gif

That's about 14:1 compression, I cant see how a civic engine can get that high. A couple more points and you wont need the ignition system. LOL
JK, something is really way beyond wrong.

Originally Posted By: Trav

280, 280, 210, 280

crazy2.gif

frown.gif

That's about 14:1 compression, I cant see how a civic engine can get that high. A couple more points and you wont need the ignition system. LOL
JK, something is really way beyond wrong.

Any idea or thoughts what could it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back