How are pay raises given at your employer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
How does your boss at a non union job give pay raises ?

I give raises based upon performance, or, assuming poor performance all around, whoever has ticked me off the least.
wink.gif

I have been self employed all of my life.
I make less now than I did in the 80's.
Thanks to this wonderful economy...

Two types of raises where I work.

The EBA (Enterprise Bargaining Agreement) increase, negotiated between the Unions and the Employer, and registered with "Fair Work Australia"...was around 4% at turn of the century, 2.5 these days.

Within that, when people get a job, it's got typically 3 "steps", a couple grand apart. 1 is base level, just been appointed. Second is the "natural" performance of the duties and functions. Third is super duty, extra curricular activities above and beyond.

All to himself, nothing to others... he's also the only one who gets paid for overtime

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

All to himself, nothing to others... he's also the only one who gets paid for overtime

That's easy then, don't work overtime! I'm on double time if I go even 1 minute over the rostered finishing time.

Originally Posted By: hpb
That's easy then, don't work overtime! I'm on double time if I go even 1 minute over the rostered finishing time.

Ran into my wife's boss the other day down the street. I was prepared to say hi and walk past, he wanted to talk about stuff, including how ragged she's looking.

Her 3PM to 6:30 gig has her getting home at 7:45 (2 minute drive, topic for another day) with paperwork, and the first school gets out at 2:40, requiring her on site for pick-ups at 2:00...yep, that's what she signed up for in her contract.

Her contract pays 3.5 hours.

Yes, that's the core hours.

But she has an hour plus paperwork after, and needs to be there an hour prior to meet the kids exiting school.

Yes, the hours of "operation" are 3.5, and that's her contract pay. The other items are what she signed up to do in her contract.

"But she gets overtime for school holiday care"...

:rolleyes: "how much"

"She gets 5 hours pay".

"But the hours are 8 to 7:30"

Had to walk away...then start her looking for employment rather than exploitation.

Depending on last year business financials will determine our raises. But ultimately we have many metrics to meet as a business and for the different accounts we take care of.

Everybody gets a raise or nobody gets a raise and everyone gets the same percentage increase.
There was talk at some point about tying pay to performance reviews, but this would require that really detailed and objective performance reviews that would be objectively defensible get done.
I can tell you that giving honest performance reviews to one's direct reports can lead to weeks of bitterness and acrimony.
Everyone wants to be a star even when their work and progress don't support that.
This may partly be a product of my having three women in their fifties as direct reports.
The mood swings can be awesome to behold. Glad my wife isn't like that.

I got something like 2.2% last year based on some mysterious calculation. Frankly, I have no idea what anyone else is getting in terms of pay or raises--very opaque where I work. I believe my manager and upper management are very fair, and I suspect I am being treated as well as anyone. Company financials are good, but they are in growth mode so they keep putting profits back into expansion--they are open about that. Hopefully, eventually that will mean us employees will reap some of the rewards. The problem is that I find raises haven't been keeping up with increases in health insurance premiums.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
The problem is that I find raises haven't been keeping up with increases in health insurance premiums.

Been the case down here as well.

Health Insurance is 3+ times CPI, and wage growth is based on CPI.

Australia got tort reform...and it made absolutely no difference to consumer pays whatsoever.

We have a telephone conference with approximately 80 employees and the boss says "I'm giving __% raise this year."

I think its fair and the people can't complain someone gets more or less pay raise. Obviously each person is paid differently depending on years with company and training / certification, etc...

Obviously each person is paid differently depending on years with company and training / certification, etc...

interesting concept

Well, as a mechanic at a large place, and after my a hole boss got the axe I got a nice $2.00/hour raise. Beats the 10cent a mechanic would get before our overhaul
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I have been self employed all of my life.
I make less now than I did in the 80's.
Thanks to this wonderful economy...
I know the feeling. You must find an expanding job field rather than a constricting one. Technology is driving new fields and new careers. I'm on my 5th career. Technology could replace me at any micro second. When it stops being fun anymore, I'll retire.
grin2.gif

Quote:
I know the feeling. You must find an expanding job field rather than a constricting one. Technology is driving new fields and new careers. I'm on my 5th career. Technology could replace me at any micro second.

Technology in general is a great field to be in right now, but it is very hard to predict the winners and losers. Not too long ago it looked like Apple was doomed, then they came out with the iPod and iPhone. But, look what happened to BlackBerry that was arguably the world's leading smartphone company in the early days. Remember when every celebrity carried a BlackBerry?

Pay raises come yearly, in January, with previous year profit sharing, subject to Board of Directors approval.. It is based on company prosperity, economic inflation.

One year pay raise rose the same rate as our healthcare premiums. It was a zero sum game that year.

Quote:
I'm not anti-collective bargaining but it seems odd to me to pay everyone the same when I'd never met two people with exactly the same productivity.

IMO, pay should be based on your work "classification" Prod. workers has a base pay, Teamleaders another, etc. If you base pay on a individual basis, then the contracts with the easy work, will make people look good, while others on complex lines that have quality/machine issues get screwed.. and they are working the weekends to cover Monday shipment! The only time "performance" is an issue is if the workforce needs to contract, or you need to be flipping burgers instead.

Last edited:
Our raises are based on merit. The company will list an average raise percentage, from which our actual raise is calculated. So, it's the company's average raise, multiplied by a fixed factor determined by our rating for the year (it's actually a small range, to give a manager even more flexibility.)

If you do well, your raise can exceed the company average by a decent amount; if you do poorly, your raise may be less than the company average. I honestly haven't heard of anyone receiving a lower raise than average, so to call it am average might be inaccurate.

Some specialized positions receive an annual bonus that is paid out at the same periodicity as our regular paychecks (effectively making it a permanent pay bump); however raises and over-time are only based on base pay, so every hour of OT is paid at a lower rate than the first 40 hrs for the week, and the yearly raises are lower than if the bonus was included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back