How are muffler shops still in business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're a real hit here in MT where we have no emission regulations and can modify our exhaust systems any way we see fit! Lot of them do delete kits for the new diesel trucks to get rid of EGR's, DEF and other restrictive emissions controls that rob horsepower and fuel mileage. Getting close to 30mpg is unheard of on a new Cummins until you delete all that junk and let her breathe.

WAWALautoart_greenleaf4_620x300.jpg

Kind of miss muffler robot art.

Last time I had to visit a muffler shop was to get a custom header-back exhaust done in a V8-swapped 1990 Toyota 4Runner. A couple high-flow cats, a Flowmaster 50 series dual-in/dual-out muffler and chrome angled tips coming off the side. Boy it made that Lexus 1UZ-FE sound good.

The exhaust shop I use does nothing but exhaust work....They stay VERY busy replacing Catalytic Converters, Fake Duals, Chrome/Stainless Tips, Installing "Kit" systems etc. etc.

Low overhead-Owning the building lets this business flourish, Same with my dad's general automotive repair shop that doesn't advertise at all!
Investors are constantly trying to buy my Dad's place, And ALL the commercial property on main thoroughfare's they can get their greedy hands on.

There is a place about 15 minutes from my house that Mennonites own/run. You have to make an appointment a week in advance to get in. Place is always busy, cheap cheap prices with quality work. Thats all they do though is strictly exhausts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Muffler places have to do regular stuff like brakes and repairs. If they are just doing mufflers they should be out of business.

Yes. My "muffler" shop is the only place that I'll trust with my brakes or suspension, besides myself, or possibly the dealer. The best part is the shop is walking distance from my house, plus they can be trusted.

My dad and I used to take our cars to Minute Muffler on North Albert. A few times I also used the Vic. east location too.

Had a rusted U joint rot off last year...dealer doesnt weld..so...got my indy to weld in a new u for under a couple hundred...i guess in the rust areas they can stay in business.

I've had vehicles that we only put on 7K miles/year. In these vehicles, we replace exhaust part more frequently due to rot. When we put on ~12K miles/year or more, not a problem.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I've had vehicles that we only put on 7K miles/year. In these vehicles, we replace exhaust part more frequently due to rot. When we put on ~12K miles/year or more, not a problem.

I can see how these shops have problems with the idiot developers. Like Drive-In theaters, the land is more valuable in another industry.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
With the long lasting stainless steel exhaust systems I haven't had to replace a muffler/exhaust system in probably 20 years. Have you guys had to replace a rotted out exhaust lately or just upgraded to something different?

Have you been to a muffler shop recently? They are VERY busy places!

I would have used my local muffler shop when my cat plugged up, but they could only install one purchased from them. Store policy.

They carried an overpriced off brand and I had a heavily discounted Magnaflow. I waited an extra day and had my go to mechanic switch it out for $60.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
In the old days a coffee can and wire was much cheaper than the muffler guy.

Been there and done that, for sure.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
There is a place about 15 minutes from my house that Mennonites own/run. You have to make an appointment a week in advance to get in. Place is always busy, cheap cheap prices with quality work. Thats all they do though is strictly exhausts.

I think thats the same place or similar that i heard about. They also make flip tarps for coal trucks by hand. Not sure if its your place but sounds like it.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
mufflers used to last 2 years.
not now- thanks to who? the Japanese?
Thanks Japanese, they stopped the charade of continual muffler replacement.

Firstly, the EPA required up through the cat to last "a long time", 8 years/ 120k miles or so. You'll pretty much always see a stainless front pipe, at least. They often go all the way, because the tech is there.

Second, leaded gas used to require "scavenger" chemistry that got the lead out of the engine so it wouldn't foul plugs. That stuff was very corrosive to exhaust parts though. Likely getting sulfur out of (unleaded) gas has its benefits too.

Hot rod/classic car guys, catalytic converter replacement and hillbilly's with jacked up four wheel drives them in business. Lifelong friend of the couple who run the only good shop in town, and he also does sheet metal replacement and custom welding on hot rods. Occasionally he'll swap an engine out for a good customer with a classic car. It's not a dying trade, but it's definitely slowed down. I used to get exhaust work done on every V8 vehicle(and one 4.3 V6 vehicle) I bought. I just don't care for loud tones anymore, and it's lighter on my wallet.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
They're a real hit here in MT where we have no emission regulations and can modify our exhaust systems any way we see fit! Lot of them do delete kits for the new diesel trucks to get rid of EGR's, DEF and other restrictive emissions controls that rob horsepower and fuel mileage. Getting close to 30mpg is unheard of on a new Cummins until you delete all that junk and let her breathe.

Just saying, but are you aware of the severe penalties for removing/tampering with automotive emissions control systems? Like $3750 for individuals and $37500 for a shop? Per incident

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
My dad and I used to take our cars to Minute Muffler on North Albert. A few times I also used the Vic. east location too.

Mine is always Vic East; that's the shop I meant. It's nice and close. Kelly is always pretty good to let me bring my own parts if I'm in a pickle, especially if it saves him trying to track down something a little more problematic, like when I had the Audi 200 Turbo. The F-150 has only had two alignments in the past two decades, both there. One was when I got it, and the second was when I had them do some suspension work. There work was excellent, and they don't charge for what they don't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back