How angry pilots got the Navy to stop dismissing UFO sightings

Status
Not open for further replies.
"All elements are isotopes.

The element is given by the Proton count, Z
The isotope is given by the Neutron count, N

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Isotopes_and_half-life.svg

If you look at this visualization of the distribution of stable isotopes, you find Moscovium as the fourth pixel from the right, in the top right portion of the graph. As you can see we only have four pixels or data points(observed isotopes) in moscoviums column. And as most of you will probably intuit from the pattern within the graph, if a stable or semi stable isotope exists, it probably has more neutrons in its nucleus than that of our four points of data.

A more detailed visualization https://www.nndc.bnl.gov/nudat2/reZoom.jsp?newZoom=3

Interestingly enough elements 109 through 117 (with the notable exception of 111 and 115) all get longer half lives as the neutron count increases for as far out as we've been able to look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_of_stability
/r/askscience/comments/6vjomz/is_the_island_of_stability_possible/
So to sum things up, the island of stability is still very much a thing, and there might be a stable isotope of 115, in the N=180 range perhaps.

We wont know for certain until somebody figures out how to cram a whole lot of neutrons into an already crowded nucleus.

Edit: Found the perfect ELI5

NOVA scienceNOW : 19 - Island Of Stability

"SO, what Lazar is suggesting is that he has a stable isotope of E115. The isotopes of 115 we have synthetically created are highly radioactive, meaning they decay very rapidly. But, he's saying he has a portion of 115 of extraterrestrial origin with a number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus where they are all happy together (stable).

OP is providing the science that hypoth yes, there is a supposed "island of stability" around element 115 where science has predicted for there to be a stable isotope of that element"

I'm not saying Los Alamos would hire a tinkerer - but a place like Area 51 might.

Much like say someone looking to solve a problem might hire edison or the wright brothers for innate ability - not bound to a formal education.

I think its likely Lazar is lying about his formal education.

One could drive a truck through Bobs holes in describing 115.

He didn't do anything I could see but speculate.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by UncleDave
Bobs most telling piece of information to my mind is the construction of a successful working triangle of element "115". (or whatever he called it)

The entire element 115 debacle is the one of the most serious nails in his coffin. What he stated about it doesn't match reality. Beyond that, talking about future elements by number on the periodic table has been a staple of science fiction writings for decades. That doesn't mean the authors worked on alien technology.

Lazar has never come up with a reason as to why his "degrees" were erased from history. It never happened to Friedman, who worked on real classified projects. It never happened to John Brandenburg, either. As for Friedman, does he really believe that there was an alien spacecraft crash in Roswell, or is he spreading disinformation intentionally?

I still maintain Lazar couldn't pass a grade 11 physics final. Two masters degrees in engineering, my rump.

Mola: Lazar comically claimed that element 115 could only be found in nature and was impossible to synthesize in the lab. What a freaking fathead. The man couldn't do a Bohr diagram of hydrogen at gunpoint.

I don't disagree - Bobs 115 theories dont hold up.

That said the description of the manufacturing process of what he claims to have seen is quite interesting.

Stanton seems to believe Roswell is a cover up ,and clearly something happened, I dont believe it was a crashed alien craft however.

How does one make it here from Alpha Centauri (or wherever) but not across New Mexico without crashing? Doesnt add up or make a whole lot of sense.

What did or didn't happen 50 years means nothing (at least to me) - what has been allowed to be released by our own government especially recently - is telling.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster

...SO, what Lazar is suggesting is that he has a stable isotope of E115. The isotopes of 115 we have synthetically created are highly radioactive, meaning they decay very rapidly. But, he's saying he has a portion of 115 of extraterrestrial origin with a number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus where they are all happy together (stable).

OP is providing the science that hypoth yes, there is a supposed "island of stability" around element 115 where science has predicted for there to be a stable isotope of that element"

SO Lazar (not a nuclear physicist) is saying he knows for certain that he has a stable, extraterrestrial isotope of element 115, when there has never been verification that there is an island of stability for element 115?

The accounts of Bob Lazar-a person of unverifiable credentials, claimed his old job involved reverse-engineering alien spacecraft for the U.S. government-in which element 115 is the secret fuel that gives anti-gravity capabilities to the aliens' propulsion system

Element 115 wasn't verified experimentally until August of 2013 by Dirk Rudolph of Lund University in Sweden, according to Physical Review Letters.

This whole thing gets more bizzare because the science doesn't support any verifiable island of stability for element 115, and I think it's safe to consider Lazar's alien rocket fuel claim is more or less debunked.

In fact, No one knows for sure where this island of stability lies, or even if it exists at all.

Last edited:
And now it's happened

We are quoting people who purposely have a terrible hair cut as a source, any stoned bum is more reliable as a source than that guy

How did Bob Lazar know when the "UFO's" were going to me flying above Area 51? This was recorded video. Unless that too was top secret military and Lazar was used as a test on the public.

Friedman, posted above, took issue with Lazar and his background. He didn't deny that what Lazar saw wasn't true, but there were holes in Lazar's background.

A recent (2018) film about Bob is out and interestingly enough many things he said back then were proven to be true. He's certainly been consistent in his story.

Someone erased his records.

Lazar predicted the issuance of Ununpentium.

Lazar is a strange person, who does appear to have been consistent the question is can he prove it. Being in the government spectrum, does not surprise me someone could erase his records at all. This is not unheard of. However, Stanton Friedman believes him to be a fraud, https://podcast.sjrdesign.net/shownotes_133.php

Lazar had claimed to work at Los Alamos, gone to MIT, and various other things. For the record, Stanton Friedman, often seen as the father of modern UFOlogy, also tried to verify Lazar's background. I quote:

"[Bob] could not have gotten a Compartmentalized Security clearance having operated a brothel. His W-2 form from the Department of Naval Intelligence totals under $1000.00, at most a week's pay for a scientist. You can't get a security clearance in a week. […]

"Not one shred of evidence has been put forth to support this story: No diplomas, no résumés, no transcripts, no memberships in professional organizations, no papers, no pages from MIT or Caltech yearbooks. He also mentioned, in a phone conversation with me, California State University at Northridge and Pierce Junior College — also in the San Fernando Valley, California. I checked all four schools. Pierce said he had taken electronics courses in the late 1970s. The other three schools never heard of him.

"The page from the Los Alamos National Lab phone book with Lazar's name on it clearly states that it includes employees of the DOE and outside contractor, Kirk Meyer. "K/M" follows Lazar's name. This proves he worked for K/M, not LANL.

"I checked with LANL's personnel department for Lazar's name and that of an old colleague. They found my guy, but not Lazar.

"He was publicly asked when he got his MS from MIT. He said "Let me see now, I think it was probably 1982." Nobody getting an MS from MIT would not know the year immediately. He was asked to name some of his profs, He said: "Let's see now, Bill Duxler will remember me from the physics department at Caltech." I located Dr. Duxler. He's a Pierce Junior College physics prof, and never taught at Caltech. Lazar was registered in one of his courses at the same time Lazar was supposedly at MIT! Nobody who can go to MIT goes to Pierce JC, not to mention the rather long commute between LA and Cambridge, Mass.

"I checked his High School in New York State. He graduated in August, not with his class. The only science course he took was chemistry. He ranked 261 out of 369, which is in the bottom third. There is no way he would have been admitted by MIT or Caltech. An MS in Physics from MIT requires a thesis. No such thesis exists at MIT, and he is not on a commencement list. The notion that the government wiped his CIVILIAN records clean is absurd. I checked with the Legal Counsel at MIT — no way to wipe all his records clean. The Physics department never heard of him and he is not a member of the American Physical Society."

Originally Posted by MolaKule

...SO, what Lazar is suggesting is that he has a stable isotope of E115. The isotopes of 115 we have synthetically created are highly radioactive, meaning they decay very rapidly. But, he's saying he has a portion of 115 of extraterrestrial origin with a number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus where they are all happy together (stable).

SO Lazar (not a nuclear physicist) is saying he knows for certain that he has a stable, extraterrestrial isotope of element 115, when there has never been verification that there is an island of stability for element 115?

The accounts of Bob Lazar-a person of unverifiable credentials, claimed his old job involved reverse-engineering alien spacecraft for the U.S. government-in which element 115 is the secret fuel that gives anti-gravity capabilities to the aliens' propulsion system

Element 115 wasn't verified experimentally until August of 2013 by Dirk Rudolph of Lund University in Sweden, according to Physical Review Letters.

This whole thing gets more bizzare because the science doesn't support any verifiable island of stability for element 115, and I think it's safe to consider Lazar's alien rocket fuel claim is more or less debunked.

In fact, No one knows for sure where this island of stability lies, or even if it exists at all.

It's also probably because of this that people look to his claims to corroborate his story, and despite every single one of his science claims seeming to be baloney, there's one that people latch onto because now it is real science: Element 115, or ununpentium.

Claims About Element 115

Bob Lazar claimed that Element 115, ununpentium, was the element that was key to the fuel system of the alien spacecraft. Ununpentium allowed the craft to warp space and create its own gravitational field to pull the craft through space. John Lear reiterates this with so-called "Gravity A and B" waves which sound fascinating but don't actually mean anything.

Bob said that the way it worked was that it generates a minuscule gravity field which can be tapped into and amplified because that gravity field extends just beyond the atom's outermost electron shell. Lazar never said how that's done. But the end result is a highly directional gravity distortion field and when you bombard it with protons, ununpentium produces antimatter which then generates all the power systems on the craft, so you only need about 2 kilos, or 4.5 lbs of the stuff to last for several years of power and propulsion.

Of ununpentium's manufacture, Bob Lazar stated it is "impossible to synthesize an element that heavy here on Earth. … The substance has to come from a place where super-heavy elements could have been produced naturally." But he also said that the US government had collected about 500 lbs of the material, which I guess would be enough to power 100 crafts for several years.

In addition to that, Mr. Lazar claimed that ununpentium melts at a temperature of 1740 °C, which is about 3160 °F, or 2000 K.

The Science About Element 115

These aren't a lot of claims to go on, but we can look into them in a methodical way to see if anything checks out.

First, when Bob Lazar was making his claims, the periodic table of elements went up to element 109, Meitnerium, though it was discovered 2 years before element 108, Hassium, because it is generally easier to synthesize odd-numbered elements than even-numbered elements.

But with that in mind, it absolutely must be stated that chemists, physicists, and other scientists did not think the periodic table stopped with 109. In fact, in the 1960s, Glenn Seaborg proposed the possibility that there would be an "island of stability" of super-heavy elements with a proton number around 120-126 that would be stable for long periods of time, like seconds to days. What you have to realize is that the reason the periodic table didn't go up to elements with a proton number of 100 until we had nuclear bombs and later particle accelerators, is that it takes a tremendous amount of energy to create them, and they last for hours. Elements with proton numbers above 110 tend to last for seconds, and those like 115 last for 10s to 100s of milliseconds.

They are incredibly unstable, like if you were to try to cram a stack of magnets, alternately facing different directions so that the same poles are facing each other, into a tighter and tighter clump. There comes a point where it is just going to fly apart. You can try to moderate that by sticking buffers in, or in atomic physics, that would be neutrons. But it only reaches some level of quasi-stability before it flies apart again.

For example, ununpentium-290, which has 175 neutrons to 115 protons, has a half-life of only 16 milliseconds. But if you change the neutron configuration slightly by taking one out, so you have ununpentium-289, the half-life goes up by a factor of more than 10, to 220 milliseconds.

But back to my point: Scientists were openly predicting that these elements existed at least in the 1960s, over two decades before Bob Lazar made his claims about element 115. So the very fact that he incorporated ununpentium into his story, and then ununpentium was synthesized, does NOT mean that his story is automatically true.

That may seem like an obvious statement to many of you, but you're an elite audience; many people miss or choose not to understand this, evidenced by the fact that when ununpentium was first possibly observed in a particle accelerator, various chatrooms and forums on the internet lit up with statements that Bob Lazar was vindicated.

Unfortunately, the very method of his apparent vindication - that element 115 had finally been created - directly contradicts a key claim that Bob Lazar made: Ununpentium cannot be synthesized in a lab. That it must be found in naturally occurring deposits that can only be made in high-mass star systems.

This itself makes no sense. Stars during their normal life produce nothing heavier than iron because everything heavier than iron takes more energy than it gives up in the fusion process. It's only in supernova explosions that you get heavier elements, including the ones with very short half-lives like probably ununpentium, which means that if there's a stable isotope, it should be everywhere because the entirety of our galaxy has been seeded by supernova explosions by this point in time. Which as a side-note is an issue I had with the Stargate franchise, because naquadah is supposed to be naturally occurring, super-dense, and happens to occur in most places in the galaxies other than Earth. It's a McGuffin, but it's one that doesn't make sense given how basic astronomy works. Come to think of it, naquadah in Stargate fulfills much of what Element 115 does for Bob Lazar …

That musing aside, another point that Bob Lazar made about ununpentium is that its melting point is about 2000 K. It's not, it's about 670 K.

But beyond that, with so far every point I've addressed contradicting his story other than the element's mere existence, we have the stability problem. Ununpentium is near one predicted island of stability, between copernicium and flerovium, elements 112 and 114. But the known isotopes are not stable. And the predicted maximum stability of the most stable version, ununpentium-291, is only seconds. To be able to store ununpentium-291 for years on a spacecraft would not be possible, for it would still - in a conventional sense - be highly radioactive and quickly decay into copernicium-291, which itself would be stable for around 1200 years.

From that discussion about stability, I think the take-home message is that at the most generous, we can say that we have not yet discovered all isotopes of element 115, but that the predicted absolutely most stable would be impossible to use as Lazar wants to use it.

Beyond that, the only other parts of this to mention are everything he claims about using it for propulsion. Like, if you bombard it with protons it makes antimatter. Which makes no sense because he claimed that you had to input material, to get antimatter, which produces energy when it reacts with matter. Simple conservation of mass and energy means you get absolutely NOTHING out of this. You spend a proton, you get an anti-proton, you react with a proton, you get energy exactly equal to the mass-energy of the particles that went into it. Everything is conserved. You get nothing out of it.

Or there's the part that Element 115 has a gravitational field that extends beyond its electron shell that can be harnessed (keep in mind that everything has a gravitational pull on everything else, so this claim itself is kinda obvious yet silly at the same time).

But, that's one interpretation of this claim. According to other statements that Bob Lazar has made, the "Gravity A Wave" which is what is supposed to extend beyond the outer electron shell of the atom is the strong nuclear force. This is one of the four fundamental forces in nature, but the last 60 years of physics have taught us that the strong nuclear force is incredibly strong only within the atom. Its strength drops off incredibly quickly, and it does not extend outside the atomic nucleus, much less to the electron shell and beyond it.

For Bob Lazar to be right, pretty much all of modern atomic physics - including some basic observational things - would need to be wrong.

Wrap-Up

Looking over this episode after I wrote it, and after recording to this point, it admittedly seems almost silly that I'd be covering it. Why-ever should I devote an entire episode to the claims made by one person who seems to have no credibility whatsoever, not only in his background but also in the claims themselves?

The answer is precisely because of this absolute lack of any credibility and the outright refutation of his claims, and yet the position that he holds in UFOlogy and the absolute fervor with which his followers will cling to any shred of possible corroboration of his story. Including George Knapp to a certain extent. Mr. Knapp has continued to support Bob Lazar in at least some of his story, and it's because of Knapp that other people believe Bob. I have literally had people tell me that they didn't put any credibility into the story until they saw George Knapp support it, and because they trust Knapp, they believe Bob.

And so, with all of this investment that people have in the story, it's perhaps not surprising that they will cling to any shred of evidence, however feeble, still gives them hope. Such as the discovery of ununpentium.

The fact that ununpentium exists and is a "For Realz" element - even if it wasn't first synthesized until 14 years after Bob Lazar's story - does not mean that his story is true. And yet, when it was announced in 2003, you can find online forums where people pointed to it as "vindication" of Bob Lazar's story. I think a Reddit user put it very well:

"I hate to say it, but someone with a rudimentary undersanding of physics could predict the existence of element 115. However, as others have pointed out, Lazar claimed that 115 would be the threshold of atomic stability and could be used for practical applications (such as the manufacture of spacecraft). Not the case with the real element 115. Look, I'd love to believe Lazar but he's been thoroughly debunked at this point."

And that's the way things are. Nothing about his story checks out. Nothing he said about ununpentium checks out, other than it exists, but even embedded within the validation of ununpentium's existence is a refutation of Bob Lazar's story: He said it couldn't be manufactured.

And so, we're left with a fun story and nothing else but some lessons we can carry over to other fields. I don't have to tell you that because Spiderman takes place in New York City, and New York City is real, that does not mean Spiderman is real. I don't have to tell you that because scientists are working on ways to make things invisible, that means Harry Potter is real.

But, I have to tell some people that because Zecharia Sitchin used some Sumerian names, that does not mean anything Sitchin claimed is real. And as with this episode, I have remind some people that all because someone makes a prediction, and some tiny sliver of that prediction later is validated, that does not mean that everything they claimed is true.

The entire Bob Lazar story is bizarre. I'm not saying he is telling the 100% truth. I believe he did lie about his background. But some of his other accounts are intriguing to say the least. I'm not on one side or the other but I don't dismiss him and his statements entirely.

I was always on the side of thinking all of these people are crazy and this UFO stuff is a bunch of non-sense. I still do feel 95% of it is. However, I spent my own time doing some research and there are some very compelling cases out there. I was too much of a militant skeptic chalking all of these things up to special military craft and people just not understanding what they are seeing. Now I'm moved in the other direction thinking there may be something else to this. What I don't know. I can't say all of these people are "crazy."

Check out Jacques Vallee on this topic. He's brilliant.

My background fwiw is a BS in Economics with a secondary degree in Biology. While I've forgotten most of what I learned in college due to never using it again, I have a strong science background. Not so much in math as I only went up to Calc II and Stat II, but I have had many bio and chemistry classes including organic. I'm all about science but I understand we are all working with a process via the human mind as well.

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Originally Posted by talest
Why are we not talking about what kind of motor oil these UFOs use.
It's Soylent Green.

Arthur C Clarke's three laws:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Ah, Clarke not Asimov. Thanks, I stand corrected.

The entire Bob Lazar story is bizarre. I'm not saying he is telling the 100% truth. I believe he did lie about his background. But some of his other accounts are intriguing to say the least. I'm not on one side or the other but I don't dismiss him and his statements entirely....

Check out Jacques Vallee on this topic. He's brilliant...

...My background fwiw is a BS in Economics with a secondary degree in Biology. While I've forgotten most of what I learned in college due to never using it again, I have a strong science background. Not so much in math as I only went up to Calc II and Stat II, but I have had many bio and chemistry classes including organic. I'm all about science but I understand we are all working with a process via the human mind as well...

Originally Posted by Wiki
...Vallée feels the entire subject of UFOs is mystified by charlatans and science fiction. He advocates a stronger and more serious involvement of science in the UFO research and debate.[10] Only this can reveal the true nature of the UFO phenomenon.

I agree and this is what I suggested in post #5086492:

I very much agree with physicist Don Lincoln. Let's impanel a group of physicists, chemists, meteorologists, radar experts, Optical Imaging experts, Computer scientists, etc, not connected with any DOD group for two years, with a decent budget and look at the real physical evidence (if there is any), such as recording of radar images, FLIR images, etc.

A group of say three or four or more universities could form a consortium with notable scientists in the fields suggested above with a two year budget. The study group would investigate the pure physics of the subject.

So-called Paranormal activity, ghosts, weeping statues, and crying paintings would not be part of the study and would be off-limits for obvious reasons.

The entire Bob Lazar story is bizarre. I'm not saying he is telling the 100% truth. I believe he did lie about his background. But some of his other accounts are intriguing to say the least. I'm not on one side or the other but I don't dismiss him and his statements entirely....

Check out Jacques Vallee on this topic. He's brilliant...

...My background fwiw is a BS in Economics with a secondary degree in Biology. While I've forgotten most of what I learned in college due to never using it again, I have a strong science background. Not so much in math as I only went up to Calc II and Stat II, but I have had many bio and chemistry classes including organic. I'm all about science but I understand we are all working with a process via the human mind as well...

Originally Posted by Wiki
...Vallée feels the entire subject of UFOs is mystified by charlatans and science fiction. He advocates a stronger and more serious involvement of science in the UFO research and debate.[10] Only this can reveal the true nature of the UFO phenomenon.

I agree and this is what I suggested in post #5086492:

I very much agree with physicist Don Lincoln. Let's impanel a group of physicists, chemists, meteorologists, radar experts, Optical Imaging experts, Computer scientists, etc, not connected with any DOD group for two years, with a decent budget and look at the real physical evidence (if there is any), such as recording of radar images, FLIR images, etc.

A group of say three or four or more universities could form a consortium with notable scientists in the fields suggested above with a two year budget. The study group would investigate the pure physics of the subject.

So-called Paranormal activity, ghosts, weeping statues, and crying paintings would not be part of the study and would be off-limits for obvious reasons.

That would be great. I wish it could be done.

Jacques Vallee:

"Jacques Fabrice Vallée (French: [vale]; born September 24, 1939) is a computer scientist, venture capitalist, author, ufologist and astronomer currently residing in San Francisco, California.

In mainstream science, he began his professional life as an astronomer at the Paris Observatory. Vallée co-developed the first computerized map of Mars for NASA in 1963. He later worked on the network information center for the ARPANET, a precursor to the modern Internet, as a staff engineer of SRI International's Augmentation Research Center under Douglas Engelbart.

Vallée is also an important figure in the study of unidentified flying objects (UFOs), first noted for a defense of the scientific legitimacy of the extraterrestrial hypothesis and later for promoting the interdimensional hypothesis."

"In May 1955, Vallée first sighted an unidentified flying object over his Pontoise home. Six years later in 1961, while working on the staff of the French Space Committee, Vallée claims to have witnessed the destruction of the tracking tapes of an unknown object orbiting the earth. The particular object was a retrograde satellite - that is, a satellite orbiting the earth in the opposite direction to the earth's rotation. At the time he observed this, there were no rockets powerful enough to launch such a satellite, so the team was quite excited as they assumed that the Earth's gravity had captured a natural satellite (asteroid). He claims that an unnamed superior came and erased the tape. These events contributed to Vallée's long-standing interest in the UFO phenomenon. Vallée began to correspond with Aimé Michel (who would become a lifelong mentor and research collaborator) in 1958.

In the mid-1960s, like many other UFO researchers, Vallée initially attempted to validate the popular Extraterrestrial Hypothesis (or ETH). UFO researcher Jerome Clark[3] argues that Vallée's first two UFO books were among the most scientifically sophisticated defenses of the ETH ever mounted.

However, by 1969, Vallée's conclusions had changed, and he publicly stated that the ETH was too narrow and ignored too much data. Vallée began exploring the commonalities between UFOs, cults, religious movements, demons, angels, ghosts, cryptid sightings, and psychic phenomena. Speculation about these potential links were first detailed in Vallée's third UFO book, Passport to Magonia: From Folklore to Flying Saucers.

As an alternative to the extraterrestrial visitation hypothesis, Vallée has suggested a multidimensional visitation hypothesis. This hypothesis represents an extension of the ETH where the alleged extraterrestrials could be potentially from anywhere. The entities could be multidimensional beyond space-time, and thus could coexist with humans, yet remain undetected."

A brilliant scientist. Ahead of his time. Phd in Computer Science. MS in Physics. Specializes in the Physics of information.

Jacques Vallee...:

Thanks, but I did read the whole Wiki article and I am not really impressed with his many Hypotheses.

How about we talk about scientific realities in our 4-dimensional universe for a change?

For example, in this article, multiple lights were misidentified as UFO's:

Earthquake Lights

Last edited:
Jacques Vallee...:

Thanks, but I did read the whole Wiki article and I am not really impressed with his many Hypotheses.

Well I'm glad you at least read about him. Most don't take the time to even do that. And that I struggle with. The human ego gets in the way of objective thinking.

I have to ask you though, how can you be impressedor not impressed when this guy has many peer reviewed papers? It's impossible to reach that conclusion without really reading his work.

https://www.jacquesvallee.net/professionalwork/

(Selected representative items. Complete professional archives are available to researchers through the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California.

An Automatic Question-answering (AI) System for Stellar Astronomy. (Co-author with Dr. J. Allen Hynek)
Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, August 1966.

Retrieval Formulae for Inquiry Systems (Natural language Artificial Intelligence).
The first computer-answering AI system using actual scientific data.
Doctoral dissertation, Northwestern University, 1968.

DIRAC: An Interactive Retrieval Language with Computational Interface.
Information Storage & Retrieval Jal. Vol.6, no.5, Dec. 1970.

Last edited:
How about we talk about scientific realities in our 4-dimensional universe for a change?

We do, every day for about 99% of the time. If you want to, start a new thread?

Explore what you don't know and understand. It's healthy. Forget labels and boundaries. Think outside the box or whatever looks appealing and interesting.

Jacques Vallee...:

Well I'm glad you at least read about him. Most don't take the time to even do that. And that I struggle with. The human ego gets in the way of objective thinking.

I have to ask you though, how can you be impressed or not impressed when this guy has many peer reviewed papers? It's impossible to reach that conclusion without really reading his work.

https://www.jacquesvallee.net/professionalwork/

I am glad you are furthering your scientific research and continuing to learn, but sometimes what we wish "to be" or what we would "like it to be" interferes with scientific objectivity.

I attempt to fully read articles in their entirety.

Am I impressed with scientific credentials or the peer review process, no.

Vallee is not the only person to have ventured into AI. I developed aircraft design algorithms using Artificial Intelligence with the LISP programming language for aerospace companies so I know what AI entails.

AI is being used in many applications but Vallee was not the first to venture into AI. DARPA launched AI as a field of research in 1963, with the mathematical formalism being developed about 10 years before that.

I am seriously trying to get a handle on the point of your side bars and articles.

Are you saying these side bars and articles prove UFOology?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by emg

You don't need rapid interstellar travel. 1% of the speed of light is enough to colonize the galaxy in ten million years. In fact, the ease of interstellar travel is one of the reasons to believe we are alone; our galaxy is about thirteen billion years old, so it could have been colonized in roughly 0.05% of its lifetime if anyone else did exist out there.

In fact, you could say that the size of the numbers gives us good reason to believe we are alone, rather than the opposite. Colonizing the galaxy is trivial on those kinds of timescales.

How do you know we aren't colonists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back