How a State Trooper know which vehicle he clocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since most of the cars on the road are speeding, chances are whoever gets the ticket was speedign. So why are the speed limits set below th espeeds everybody drives at?

So that if someone was driving recklessly but you can't easily prove it, you can get them on something?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
That's one reason never to travel in the high speed lane if you can help it. I suspect that 90% of the time that's where the trooper has his radar gun pointed, especially if there is lots of traffic.
If say, the trooper was sitting on the right side of the road posted at/behind a tree that oncoming traffic couldn't see, you would still land within the "radar sight" if you were in the right (slow lane).

- above situation regarding 2 lane highway, officer sitting on the right side of the highway

| . |
| . |
| Y . |
| . |
| . X |

Even if he targets the vehicle in the Y lane, that beam is/will pass over the X lane.

In a sense, yes. Yes, for instance, you see a car enter an interstate. He's hauling and you know it. You speed up to close the distance and attempt to get a speed reading. Pacing is out. His speed is "X". Your speed is X + Y. You HAVE to tell the radar that your speed is greater than the target speed or you will get a false reading. You hold the "slower" button to do this. Now, do you hold it the entire time? No. As you approach, you hit the button, get the target speed, and that is the speed you use to write the ticket, or whatever. You do not have to constantly measure his speed during the run down, one "hit" is enough. That "hit" usually comes when you are closing within range of the unit (which varies due to weather conditions). radar will work in the rain but the range is limited. I chose not to enforce a whole lot of speed in the rain.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
In court, the officer will say that he operated the machine correctly.
And somehow their word is better than a civilian's, unless proven wrong.

A real officer will check the unit to verify. I used the forks on mine EVERY day before beginning shift. I used the internal calibration check as well. After EVERY stop, I hit the internal check to verify operation and noted so I the ticket. "The calibration of the radar unit was checked both before and after the stop and was found to be operating properly."

In court, there will also be a paper stating that the unit was checked and verified to be accurate the day it was used.

Saw that alot in traffic court.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: Trajan
In a nutshell it means don't screw around because there are cops all over the place even though you may not see them.

That's the copy/pasted response from yahoo answers, hahaha, I was hoping for a more original thought. Not a friendly state. Looking to rob passing motorists blind every step of the way.

Then how about this. TEA means just what it says it does. They target an area for special attention. They hide on the blind side of buildings. Or just past a curve. Some places, they sit at the start of the enterence ramp.

If you're dumb enough to break traffic laws, you deserve to get caught.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: eljefino
PA used to have signs in the early 90s that said "still 55 MPH, deal with it, signed the governor."

Yep. I remember those. You know what PA's excuse as to why their roads are so terrible is? They have too many. Yep, that's it. The state has too many roads to maintain.

Now, in VA, the state maintains every single road other than private roads or roads in cities and towns (and there are very few cities and towns in VA)..and they seem to be able to manage to take care of them. According to one source, VDOT has the 3rd largest state-maintained highway system in the country. I don't know who #1 or #2 is. EDIT: Texas and North Carolina.

You sir, are on crack. Take I64E to 95N and tell me if you don't pop a tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back