Hot Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to put 'em on a frying pan to brown 'em. Brazier is good too.

Boiling is a little too "shortcutty" for me but if you like the resulting texture, go for it. The dog water always looked so vile to me.

Now I'm on the no preservatives kick.

My HEB has a dog called Texas Heritage Brisket dogs. Love them when grilled. Have not found any I like better. I have taken my grandsons to Costco for the 1.50 dog and drink. They love em.

Slaw on hot dogs seems to be a regional thing...

Grilled Beef over charcoal with Chili Slaw and Onions is my favorite.

Here in WV the most common is the 'everything' hot dog.

Chili, Slaw, Onions, Mustard, Ketchup and pepper.

When i lived near Lexington KY they liked the cincinnati style with the cinnamon chili and cheese.. cant stand them now.

Fried in bacon grease is most preferred. Otherwise, fried in peanut oil. Gotta burn the outside a little. Gotta see a little charred blackness.

Ate the last 3 cooked with mac cheese with a little stone ground Dijon mustard on the side..
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Nathan's beef. On the grill.

Thats my favorite as well. We will boil them for a quick lunch for the kids, but the grill cooks them up right.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Nathan's beef. On the grill.

Yep. Only Kosher all-beef dogs, on the grill 'till almost blackened.

I do love pork sausage, however.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Hebrew national for me. Boiled in beer, bbqd, or nuked

Hebrew National beef are the best!

If I do get hot dogs for grilling, I prefer the local brands like Casper's or Saag's, then Kirkland, Hebrew National or a uncured/all beef dog from Whole Foods.

I stay away from regular hot dogs. I only get cooked ones at Costco, the local sausage joint(Rosamunde) or the ball park. I like them grilled and I do them semi-Chicago style or full blown Chicago if the place I go to has tomatoes. Sometimes I'll get mayo and ketchup.

I've taken back a pack of Vienna Beefs from my last trip into Chicago on the plane ride back home.

Vienna are about the only hot dog permitted at my house. I will make the one exception for Klement's.

Costco dogs are completely void of taste. Their version of Polish are worse. I love the $1.50 price and will absolutely pick one up once in awhile, but IMO they are pretty bad. Like Corn King bad.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Natural casing Boar's Head Links , Left on on the stovetop in warm water for an hour or so. Mustard only.

If you've never had the natural casing Boar's Head, you don't know what you're missing. A big part of the hot dog experience is the pop you get when biting into the dog. Skinless dogs do not have this. Plus, the quality/taste of the natural casing Boar's Head is without equal.

Plain ole OSCAR MAYER hot dogs. I nuke 'em, grill 'em, boil 'em, even fry 'em.
When my son was younger I would split a hot dog down the middle and put Velveeta cheese on it. In the microwave for 45 seconds and he would chow down on them.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Vienna Sausage= Mississippi Round Steak
grin.gif

We use to eat that stuff back in the day. And potted meat on white bread. I have no urge to eat it now.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Vienna Sausage= Mississippi Round Steak
grin.gif

We use to eat that stuff back in the day. And potted meat on white bread. I have no urge to eat it now.

That's some nasty stuff!
37.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Several doctors took out a billboard in Indianapolis that said "Eating a hot dog is as bad for you as smoking a cigarette. It's that bad for you". Maybe 10 years ago. No hot dogs since.

One of the only sources of Vit K2 in the US diet.

A silly billboard for sure.

Footy Franks

First skinless franks to hit the Oz market, and versatile, in that the casings don't split and make a soggy mess like the regular franks can if cooked improperly.

With the rest of the family gluten free, we are more likely to get the cocktail franks, and serve them in a bowl with ketchup as G.F. hotdog buns aren't that common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back