Is it me or has Oscar Meyer lowered the bar?

Did you happen to notice the dating on the package?
With that consideration-Nathans makes a much better hot dog-but more expensive.

Nathan’s is good Mt down hill.. They shrunk the size of their hotdogs… Their regular hotdogs are now smaller and their jumbos are now the size of their old regular hotdogs… Last pack I got… the Nathan’s jumbos didn’t taste like they used to. And not for the better…

I’m done with cheapening their hotdogs… And making them smaller.

I now get these… The Premium Selection Hotdogs from Harris Teeter… And they are fricking AWESOME.. Their jumbos are HUGE… And great taste too. I don’t know who makes them for Harris Teeter..: But I really think they are the best I have ever had. And cheaper than Nathan’s by $2.50 a pack

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 21
Nathan’s is good Mt down hill.. They shrunk the size of their hotdogs… Their regular hotdogs are now smaller and their jumbos are now the size of their old regular hotdogs… Last pack I got… the Nathan’s jumbos didn’t taste like they used to. And not for the better…

I now get these… The Premium Selection Hotdogs from Harris Teeter… And they are fricking AWESOME.. Their jumbos are HUGE… And great taste too. I don’t know who makes them for Harris Teeter..: But I really think they are the best I have ever had. And cheaper than Nathan’s by $2.50 a pack
Sounds good! I haven' t seen that brand. Must be regional.

Here about six months ago I made a couple O-M for lunch and the dogs were mushy inside and had even less snap than usual, tasted off too. I tossed the package and a few weeks later bought some more. Same thing. So O-M, my decades long go to, is now history. Does anybody have any insight as to why O-M would ruin something as iconic as their beef hot dogs?

Tried some at work a couple years ago, Terrible.
Went back to my reduced sodium
1699804084050.jpg
Hebrew National salty dog,

That packaging looks EXACTLY like Kroger Private Selection, might have to try those sometime.

Sounds good! I haven' t seen that brand. Must be regional.

CKN if I find out who makes these… I will add to this thread and let you know.

Another brand that I think awesome is Sahlen’s Hotdogs… The casing on them is a it tougher than these Premium Selection branded ones. But the meat and flavor is extremely good.

Reactions: CKN
I only eat all beef dogs. Can't stand the mystery meat ones. Wife likes Hebrew national but they are too salty for me.
Ever hear of "mystery beef" ? Hooves, snoots, tails, ears etc. all can be ground up into hot dogs. That's why it's called processed meat.

Ever hear of "mystery beef" ? Hooves, snoots, tails, ears etc. all can be ground up into hot dogs. That's why it's called processed meat.
None of which goes into a hot dog unless it’s some extremely sketchy brand I’ve never seen. That’s not “processed meat”, those are byproducts.

I remember when this thread was new.
1) The manufacturer can make one change and it might retaste like a biggie.
2) I've lived long enough to learn our tastes can change, resulting in modifications to our 'top 10' lists of foods.

It's you, wieners have always been a lowered bar.
Yeah - they make good sausage where I live - but I look at the name brand corporate sausage and it’s like a big hot dog …
My sister called it bubble gum sausage …

Yeah - they make good sausage where I live - but I look at the name brand corporate sausage and it’s like a big hot dog …
My sister called it bubble gum sausage …
If we're talking "hot dogs" no way but sausage can be of decent quality. If you know how it's made w/ingredients list to make an informed decision then even better. I'm a "Vegan" but when I did eat animal products I did have a good experience with some local venison sausage. So, if it's local your supporting that & even better to know it's not some huge mass produced high profit left overs LOL.

Reactions: 4WD
I do not eat any type of food that has ingredients listed on the label that it takes a Chemistry major to pronounce/decipher. I buy hot dogs, chicken breasts, bratwurst, beef, etc., from a local butcher shop that grinds/makes everything inhouse and can tell you what's in it. Their hot dogs have beef/pork blended in them. No added chemicals.
God made food that spoils. Manufactured food is intended to have a shelf life, and this includes about 90% of what's sold in grocery stores. I avoid anything processed or in a box or can. BTW, I'm 66 years old, healthy BMI and take NO medications.

I have noticed this about OS hot dogs also. Yes, Nathan’s have shrunk quite a bit, they also taste slightly different.

I have noticed this about OS hot dogs also. Yes, Nathan’s have shrunk quite a bit, they also taste slightly different.

Yep… last pack of Nathan’s I had tasted different…. And not for the better…

I’m done with them. Garbage… Make them smaller and then change the ingredients that are not as good tasting. BAD combination right there.

I like Hot Dogs and have for decades bought Oscar Mayer Beef as my go to. I also will get Johnsonville sausages and Hebrew National or Nathan's and others to just check out. Here about six months ago I made a couple O-M for lunch and the dogs were mushy inside and had even less snap than usual, tasted off too. I tossed the package and a few weeks later bought some more. Same thing. So O-M, my decades long go to, is now history. Does anybody have any insight as to why O-M would ruin something as iconic as their beef hot dogs?
Could be a bad batch. I've never been a fan of oscar Meyers they use nitrates and nitrites which have been shown to be hazardous to your health. There's a company in Colorado that makes a wickedly good wild boar hot dogs.

Back