Honda OEM air f ilter is blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new Honda OEM at filter for my 2002 CRV is blue. Actually, it's white on the inside of the filter, but coated with a blue substance on the outside.

Any ideas what it is?

This is the coating that Terry says is restrictive and allegedly causes fuel contamination. On my Ody I will be putting a WIX AF in next week and will see the state of the 13 month old stock (coated) filter.

When I bought my "Certified Pre-owned" civic, the dealer had changed the oil/filter, air filter, and cabin air filter since the car had 13,000 miles on it.

I pulled out the air filter the other day to look at it. It is made by Filtech (same that make some of the OEM Honda oil filters). It has a greenish blue coating on the "air in" side and regular white paper on the "air out" side.

I need to pull it back out and see if I can scratch any of this material off? I didn't think anything of it until I read this post. Thanks. It looks like Wix for me from now on.

Brian

Leave it alone. It's there for a reason; it's a good thing. In fact, I've heard that the Wix equivalent does not have the same quality as the OE Honda filter.

Quote:

Quote:

Leave it alone. It's there for a reason; it's a good thing. In fact, I've heard that the Wix equivalent does not have the same quality as the OE Honda filter.

Where did you hear this? The one for the Oddy looks fine.

See the post I made in your Wix AF thread.

The last time I bought a "Wix" filter for my Honda it said "Made in Korea". It seems that this is, or at least was, one of the part numbers Wix simply buys from a third party. There seems to be a lot of this going on in the filter business.

Somehow I wonder how Honda's gained their reputation for fuel economy and engine durability if they suffer from a design weakness as Terry seems to be implying. Surely Terry knows more about how to specify a filter for Honda than those foolish people at the Honda R&D centers!

I have just replaced my OEM blue filter with its FRAM equivalent. While it's only at 6200 miles the OEM filter is obviously dirty. Part of the reason I went ahead was because in the early days of my new Ody, I drove it through a heavily smokey area in Arkansas on a trip up to Missouri. I'm glad I changed it because there was black soot on the underside of the filter(blue) which I'm sure was restrictive. I trust Terry's judgement and will give a go.

Quote:

I have just replaced my OEM blue filter with its FRAM equivalent. ...I trust Terry's judgement and will give a go.

Terry also recm'd a FRAM for me also after my UOA. which 1 did you end up buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back