Honda Manual Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 5-speed Integra calls for 30,000 mile transmission fluid changes. I have always purchased the Honda brand manual transmission fluid. The manual says that if the "Honda" brand is not available, you can use 10W30 motor oil instead, but to replace with "Honda" fluid as soon as available. Even with a discount, I pay $4 a quart for the fluid. I know that Mobil makes this fluid, but I can't get my hands on a spec or MSDS sheet. Any ideas out there
dunno.gif

-Joe

Joe,

Most of these MTF fluids are similiar in specs to a 5w-30, synthetic diesel oil that does not contain friction modifiers. We could sort of reverse engineer a solution if you took a sample of some new Honda fluid and did an oil analysis on it.

The "New Venture", 5600 series transmission used in Dodge diesel pickups uses a similiar fluid ....

Went to the Acura dealer today, and my friend there said that the fluid is now made by Apollo Industries, but he did not have a spec sheet on it. -Joe

$4/qt is cheap; *dirt* cheap, in fact. What does it take, 2 or 3 qts to change it? I wish the Mopar fluid for my Neon MTx was anywhere close to that price.

Stuart, it takes 2 1/2 quarts. I am not complaining about the price, I am just a curious oil nut who has to research everything he uses in his cars and boat
dunno.gif
smile.gif
-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back