Honda K series engine "blow by"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I would check the rocker cover vent tube, it may be partially clogged.

I would not say it's normal for 4 cylinder engines. Maybe for Honda engines, but my Mazda 3 doesn't do it and my Ford Focus didn't do it. I don't know if my old Accord did it or others since I never checked.

The 2.3 has a relatively higher rod/stroke ratio of 1.65 and the 2.0L even better at 1.75, so a much lower degree of that secondary harmonic.

Originally Posted By: meep
Perhaps a better way to judge filler cap venting would be to put a rubber glove over the filler hole and see if it inflates or deflates with any motivation.

-m

...or a jim hat
laugh.gif
Good idea actually

Originally Posted By: meep
Perhaps a better way to judge filler cap venting would be to put a rubber glove over the filler hole and see if it inflates or deflates with any motivation.

-m

I have the same engine in my 1997 Honda CRV with over 225K miles on it. Air "breaths" in and out of the oil filler hole when the cap is off. At first it might feel like excessive blow by, but what is hard to feel is air is also going right back in. While the glove trick mentioned above might work...I would think as soon as any pressure started to be built, it would simple take the route through the PCV system instead of blowing up the glove. Instead, simply rest the cap back on the hole. I have found the cap will sit there and dance around, but the air coming back in will keep the cap from being blown off. If it is truly blow by, it will blow the cap right off.

You can also just hold your hand over the hole and tell that air is breathing in and out...it is not all out.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I would say it is normal. My 2006 Accord with the K24a8 did that with the oil cap off. It used about half a quart of oil in between 3500 to 5000 miles.

I always thought you did 3k oil changes right on the nose with that car???

Before I knew better I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back