HONDA HR-V ; Any owners or others present or past ? If so ,

your / their experiences ? Gas mileage ? Considering an 2021 LX AWD w/ C.V.T.. Thanks

Last edited:
My only thoughts with those is why not just get the CR-V and enjoy some space inside. CR-V is what 10% more and 100% better?

The FIL has one. We took it on a fairly long road trip a couple years back.

Its...well...fine. Mainly had me thinking of the 'old' days when Honda's were appliances. It did its job, got good fuel mileage, kept us cool, and got us home. Other than that, it was just a car, nothing super neat about it. His is a 2016 I believe, and is an EX, so it was as loaded as they came.

The CVT was a CVT that did CVT things, nothing special there.

I didn't like the indirect TPMS, took forever for a pressure warning to clear.

Other than that, a good boringly reliable vehicle.

Had a 2017 LX 6 speed manual for 50k miles before my wife was t-boned.

Pros:
It would consistently get 30 mpg combined
cheap maintenance
decent rear cargo space for its class
super cheap to insure.

Cons:
-PAINFULLY slow acceleration, even with the manual transmission. Honda really should’ve at minimum, given the vehicle a K20 from the 10th gen civic
-A/C was abysmal, it just couldn’t keep up in the summer time
-Seats are not comfortable and the interior layout for the driver and front passenger isn’t the roomiest. The center console sucks, not much room to put your junk.

Not sure I’d recommend one with a CVT trans, TBH. It’s not uncommon for them to fail before 100k.

I've got a 2016 EX with 80k miles on it.

As long as you change the fluid regularly and both CVT filters, there shoudn't be any issues with the transmission.

I used to always ask people if they changed their fluid when they'd make a post on the HRV forums about their CVT failing. Their answer was always no or I had no idea it had to be changed.

Regarding acceleration, as long as ECO mode stays off - it doesn't feel slow. In sport mode, I can easily merge at high speeds so I personally have no complaints.

Consider going for the EX instead of the LX. The lanewatch camera is underrated.

Last edited:
There are also lots of upgrades available if ever interested in making it a little more fun.

Here are some of ones I did:

IMG_3565 2.JPG

Changed the steering wheel to the one that comes with the RS version in Japan.

IMG_3995 2.JPG

Blue LEDs for the center console https://www.collegehillshonda.com/2019-2021-honda-hrv-accessories/08E16-T7A-100.html

IMG_3994 2.JPG

Footwell LEDs https://www.collegehillshonda.com/2019-2021-honda-hrv-accessories/08E10-T7S-100.html

IMG_2832 3.jpg

Upgraded the headlights from 2016 EX to the 2020 Touring and added the JDM RS LED fog-lights.

Last edited:
My only thoughts with those is why not just get the CR-V and enjoy some space inside. CR-V is what 10% more and 100% better?
The CRV did / does have severe issues with fuel dilution . Like smaller vehicles and lower payments . Also like the fold upright magic seats . Don't believe available with the CRV , HRV yes .

Last edited:
Back