Honda EU 2200I On Sale $999.00

Way overpriced until it won't start when you need it.
My HF fires up every time I turn the key. This is presumably a hand pull, then throw in carbs on these engines anything's possible but I know that I've saved a few hundred dollars. Each buyer can decide for themselves which is nice. I use sta-bil in my fuel tank every year to help with those starting issues along w/fuel cleaner. Unfortunately, not starting can happen to anyone of us regardless of make.
You realize this is an actual Honda, not a counterfeit, right?
I didn't know Honda's have a generator patent that makes all other alternatives "counterfeit". I've had zero problems with my Harbor Freight generator. Honda's are not immune to problems but you already know that.

Last edited:
I somehow scored by EU2200i new in box during early 2020 COVID from a couple who were avid campers for $500. Excellent generators.

I didn't know Honda's have a generator patent that makes all other alternatives "counterfeit". I've had zero problems with my Harbor Freight generator. Honda's are not immune to problems but you already know that.

Honda was way earlier on the market. HF peddling a Chinese variant and claiming it’s the same doesn’t make it the same. Which company actually did the engineering and design and got these kinds of generators out there for years upon years first? Which is actuallly an engine manufacturer, and last I checked, one if the largest engine manufacturers in the world? Counterfeit by definition or not, it’s a replicate of the product from an inferior source.

Ive had no problems with my 1000w version of that generator for over a decade, thanks.

Ive had no problems with my 1000w version of that generator for over a decade, thanks.
Does it surprise you that we've both had good experiences with two different brands one cheaper than the other? Could we equate this to running basic oil for 100's of thousands of miles & still run just fine all while saving some money? My generator doesn't have a lot of hours on it & last I checked is under 300 hours but I've seen YT vids of these with 1500+ hours still running fine.

The advantage the Honda brings is engineering precision and refinement, they cost more for that reason - it doesn't mean you won't get a good experience from some of the other brands.

I would love a Honda genny, but for the price of the Firman on sale at costco, i can't justify the Honda for my low needs.

The HF generators are nice units, one thing I will comment on though is the Hondas are always going to be the quietest in their rated Wattage units (like for like). For people who do need 10-15 dB quieter, that is where the Honda will shine. Perhaps also in parts availably and published parts diagrams/and repairs.

Beyond that though, HF generators are real nice. As are Yamaha and Subaru/Robin units. I think I even saw Polaris makes some generators?

Does it surprise you that we've both had good experiences with two different brands one cheaper than the other? Could we equate this to running basic oil for 100's of thousands of miles & still run just fine all while saving some money? My generator doesn't have a lot of hours on it & last I checked is under 300 hours but I've seen YT vids of these with 1500+ hours still running fine.
You said the Honda was overpriced. But Hf knocks off stuff in China, while Honda had to do the engineering and refinement of the product over years.

The advantage the Honda brings is engineering precision and refinement, they cost more for that reason - it doesn't mean you won't get a good experience from some of the other brands.

I would love a Honda genny, but for the price of the Firman on sale at costco, i can't justify the Honda for my low needs.
Precisely. They were an early originator, refined, updated.

Honda has had a quality issue with their engines for the past few years, I own a few pressure washers with the engines that need recalls done. Hopefully its sorted now, some folks broke their wrists from the recoil. I dont doubt its probably a good unit, but thats a rather weak generator for the $$$.

As the owner of 7 generators, the Honda EU2000is, is the only one that has never failed. I expect the same from the EU2200.

As a comparison, I know Hyundai/Kia owners enjoy their cars, and more often than not they are just fine. But the truth is, they cut costs everywhere, and it shows. Less expensive options do achieve the lower price through cost cutting.

Last edited:
Way overpriced until you consider lifespan, required service intervals, and service when you cant, or just dont want to, parts availability 5, 10, 15 years after buying it.

Your local motorcycle store either has it on a shelf or can get it within a few days.

Honda has been there for me since I was a little kid.

Last edited:
I have a manual with part numbers in it for my HF gen. Now how long those parts are supported I would not know b/c I've not had to buy any. 😜

That is an excellent price and this is the gold standard for suitcase generators. Wish I could justify and / or have space for another generator.

Thanks for sharing.

As the owner of 7 generators, the Honda EU2000is, is the only one that has never failed. I expect the same from the EU2200.

As a comparison, I know Hyundai/Kia owners enjoy their cars, and more often than not they are just fine. But the truth is, they cut costs everywhere, and it shows. Less expensive options do achieve the lower price through cost cutting.

Since the installation of my whole house gen, the 2 hondas main purpose has been -

1. Bailng out those whose generators seemingly never work.
2. Helping those with none that should have known a long time ago to have bought something.

Honda has had a quality issue with their engines for the past few years, I own a few pressure washers with the engines that need recalls done. Hopefully its sorted now, some folks broke their wrists from the recoil. I dont doubt its probably a good unit, but thats a rather weak generator for the $$$.
Weak in nameplate. If you care about power quality, it will have better waveforms and stability than others. That doesn’t mean it’s right for all loads, mind you…

And doing none of the non-recurring engineering, copying others designs, and building them in bottom basement locations.

Back