Honda Dual Pump Fluid II vs Acura's All-Wheel Drive Fluid (DPSF)

My Honda dealer said Dual Pump Fluid II (08200-9007) is on backorder so they are instead, selling Acura's All-Wheel Drive Fluid (08200-9007A). Some internet keyboard warriors are saying the Acura version has different frictional characteristics due to the tuning of the SH-AWD system. Is there any truth to this?

Last edited:
Interesting, I just went through this with my wife’s 2021 Acura RDX…been on forums where folks said the vehicle would self destruct if you use the Honda in the Acura. I have had the local Honda dealership tell me the fluids are the same, and have had an Acura dealership tell me the same thing.

My closest Acura dealership was 4hrs away, near my where my daughter lives. The Acura SH AWD system is different thank the Honda system and the vehicle is still under warranty, so I went with the Acura fluid.

ive owned both. Honda themselves told me they were different fluids. The dual pump fluid works much more like jeeps Quadra-drive LSDs, while the sh-awd uses electromagnetic-engaged clutches on either axle. The systems are entirely different, with totally different service intervals. I mean, the above could be entirely correct, but I’d be surprised based on everything else I’ve heard, at the dealer and here on bitog.

AFAIK, Honda sells two different fluids - DPSF and VTM-4 fluid and both can be Honda or Acura labeled.

The original SH-AWD was built off VTM-4 but added torque vectoring via the ABS system. The RT4WD-based SH-AWD more than likely also does the same torque vectoring off the ABS system. If it was any different, there would be warning labels all over the rear diff.

Honda DPSF II and Acura All wheel drive are identical. VTM-4 is different.

The Acura AWD fluid bottle states use on all AWDs after 2010, prior to 2010 use ATFZ1,

Even the part numbers are identical except for the "A" in the suffix of the Acura part The Honda AWD and Acuras I have serviced also have DPSF stamped right on the rear end. Older hondas used the VTM-4.

The fluids also look exactly the same and I have used them interchangeably, which ever I can get cheaper.

Honda DPSF II and Acura All wheel drive are identical. VTM-4 is different.

The Acura AWD fluid bottle states use on all AWDs after 2010, prior to 2010 use ATFZ1,

Even the part numbers are identical except for the "A" in the suffix of the Acura part The Honda AWD and Acuras I have serviced also have DPSF stamped right on the rear end. Older hondas used the VTM-4.

The fluids also look exactly the same and I have used them interchangeably, which ever I can get cheaper.
My local dealer can't get Honda Dual Pump Fluid II due to the supply chain crisis. They are substituting Acura DPSF instead. Looks and smells the same to me. Cost was $20 with tax for 2 quarts. Why did Honda make spare tire removal, fill bolt, and drain bolt access such a pain in the neck? Oh right, to drive owners to the dealerships! Drain and fills are routine maintenance and should be easy. I did this at the 5 year mark of the wife's 2017 Honda Pilot Elite AWD. Expect the bolts to be seized, so "man up" not "pride down".

Used both fluids on our 09 MDX and 12 TL SH-AWD. I usually buy Honda fluids as I get discount at local dealership.
Both vehicles haven't blown up and AWD works as designed. Haven't done rear diff service on 17 MDX yet, but should be about same as 09 MDX by the looks of it.

My local dealer can't get Honda Dual Pump Fluid II due to the supply chain crisis. They are substituting Acura DPSF instead. Looks and smells the same to me. Cost was $20 with tax for 2 quarts. Why did Honda make spare tire removal, fill bolt, and drain bolt access such a pain in the neck? Oh right, to drive owners to the dealerships! Drain and fills are routine maintenance and should be easy. I did this at the 5 year mark of the wife's 2017 Honda Pilot Elite AWD. Expect the bolts to be seized, so "man up" not "pride down".
Different material. Not a big deal, just use a breaker bar. This should be at least the second change by now. Usually the first one is signaled by the Maintenance Minder between 10-15k, subsequent ones are at around 30K intervals.

Different material. Not a big deal, just use a breaker bar. This should be at least the second change by now. Usually the first one is signaled by the Maintenance Minder between 10-15k, subsequent ones are at around 30K intervals.
CarFax showed that the dealer had completing the last rear diff fluid change for the previous owner. I used the torque wrench set to max as an impromptu breaker bar. 🤫 I agree, that sould be around every 3 years for the rear diff fluid from now on.

CarFax showed that the dealer had completing the last rear diff fluid change for the previous owner. I used the torque wrench set to max as an impromptu breaker bar. 🤫 I agree, that sould be around every 3 years for the rear diff fluid from now on.

Easy to crack these when the rig is on a rack, but when on the ground the first time a real bear.

Your torque wrench secret is safe with us.

My ridgeline manual calls for shortened intervals in mountain driving.

Easy to crack these when the rig is on a rack, but when on the ground the first time a real bear.

Your torque wrench secret is safe with us.

My ridgeline manual calls for shortened intervals in mountain driving.
Not sure if Honda uses weird drain plug sizes - I’ve invested in a 13mm square drive for Nissan and Subaru diffs as well as a T-70, also for Subaru. The 13mm is from Company23 tools.

Getting diff plugs off is a biznatch, but even worse is stripping or damaging the drive. That’s enough to ruin your day.

Not sure if Honda uses weird drain plug sizes - I’ve invested in a 13mm square drive for Nissan and Subaru diffs as well as a T-70, also for Subaru. The 13mm is from Company23 tools.

Getting diff plugs off is a biznatch, but even worse is stripping or damaging the drive. That’s enough to ruin your day.

Conveniently the Honda uses a female 3/8 square opening that works perfectly with a 3/8 wrench - no socket needed.

First crack of the plug makes a nasty sound, but yeah strip an aluminum AWD housing and you'll be crying.

Interesting, I just went through this with my wife’s 2021 Acura RDX…been on forums where folks said the vehicle would self destruct if you use the Honda in the Acura. I have had the local Honda dealership tell me the fluids are the same, and have had an Acura dealership tell me the same thing.

My closest Acura dealership was 4hrs away, near my where my daughter lives. The Acura SH AWD system is different thank the Honda system and the vehicle is still under warranty, so I went with the Acura fluid.
I'm running ATF in my 2015 MDX just like the 07. Called Acura. The rear diff is the same in all years 07 and up. So I run ATF

I'm running ATF in my 2015 MDX just like the 07. Called Acura. The rear diff is the same in all years 07 and up. So I run ATF
Speculation is that Honda used to spec ATF-Z1 in the differentials, then when DW-1 came along, Dual Pump Fluid magically appeared.

So no, I don't think running DW-1 in the differential is a good idea.

I was tired of speculation. So I had both analyzed. They are the same.
Q51661-2.jpg
Q51662.jpg

Back