Honda Crank Bolt Tightening - comparing two methods

Honda used to specify 181 ft lbs for the J series crank pulley bolts. Some time in the late 2000’s, they changed their position to 47 ft lbs + 60 degrees. No changes were made to the bolt or engine.

I think the 47 ft lb is just the initial torque to seat the crank pulley. According to my torque wrench, turning the bolt by 60 degrees resulted in a final torque of 153.5 ft lbs.

212EA996-854E-4297-96C3-A5D72087449D.jpeg

Which method is more accurate (or sufficient)?

That will make removing the crank pulley bolt a bit easier, thats the hardest part of replacing the timing belt. As I recall the older 4 cyl F 22, and F 23 motors were 181 Ft. lbs also.

I recall degree torque was said to be more accurate, but I have no clue!

That will make removing the crank pulley bolt a bit easier
HAHAHA Doubt it. I think Honda designed in some permanently locking molecules into the metal they used so that it instantly forms a bond with all metal around it.

I'm kidding of course. I have no idea which would be better. I just know they're @#$@ getting off most times.

Honda used to specify 181 ft lbs for the J series crank pulley bolts. Some time in the late 2000’s, they changed their position to 47 ft lbs + 60 degrees. No changes were made to the bolt or engine.

I think the 47 ft lb is just the initial torque to seat the crank pulley. According to my torque wrench, turning the bolt by 60 degrees resulted in a final torque of 153.5 ft lbs.

View attachment 58690
Which method is more accurate (or sufficient)?
To be honest I don't mind frig myself anymore with these J engines I just tighten them to 160 lb.ft and be done with it.
I went through this game with 181 lb.ft then the angle business on a non TTY bolt, fact is after a while its tighter than a bulls touch hole in a hurricane anyway.

The lisle high mass socket takes the bolt off easily no matter how tight it is.
Agreed.

To be honest I don't mind frig myself anymore with these J engines I just tighten them to 160 lb.ft and be done with it.
I went through this game with 181 lb.ft then the angle business on a non TTY bolt, fact is after a while its tighter than a bulls touch hole in a hurricane anyway.
I am more fascinated than concerned. I just thought it was interesting how the final torque measured from turning 60 degs falls below the prior spec of 181.

Not always. I have 2 name brand 1/2 impact guns and still can't get a Honda pulley off with that socket! I rounded the socket out on the last one. My IR261 takes them off easily.
Try the IR weighted sockets. I take Honda crank bolts out with the IR socket and my Ridgid cordless 1/2 gun

Last edited:
Watched a video on how to easily remove this bolt years ago from a guy out of Canada.

He simply applied heat to the edges of the bolt itself, claiming that by doing this it expands the bolt and allows it to loosen easier. And boy he was right. Never had a problem with these bolts since. After that...comes off easy with any air gun.

Torque-angle results in a more consistent clamping force. Does Honda specify what lube to use, and where to put it, when installing the bolt?

Yes, both sides of the washer.
Not always. I have 2 name brand 1/2 impact guns and still can't get a Honda pulley off with that socket! I rounded the socket out on the last one. My IR261 takes them off easily.
Try a 2235timax

Watched a video on how to easily remove this bolt years ago from a guy out of Canada.

He simply applied heat to the edges of the bolt itself, claiming that by doing this it expands the bolt and allows it to loosen easier. And boy he was right. Never had a problem with these bolts since. After that...comes off easy with any air gun.
"...expands the bolt and allows it to loosen easier"

Sounds counter intuitive. Wouldn't expanding the bolt make it tighter and harder to loosen?

"...expands the bolt and allows it to loosen easier"

Sounds counter intuitive. Wouldn't expanding the bolt make it tighter and harder to loosen?
Exactly, but it works.

I don’t know...the guy explained it as...the bolt expands and inside those threads the bolt kind of breaks free from the tightness, maybe rust, I don’t know, but it works. It does something...it frees it up, it disturbs the bond between the bolt and crank just enough where you can put a socket on it and blast it off with an air gun.

If you’re looking at the bolt head, you heat up around the bolt parameter where the bolt has its washer. Not directly on the bolt head.

Not a lot of heat because you don’t want to damage the crank pulley itself, or oil seal...and of course you don’t want to damage the bolt because then you’d never get it out.

If you're doing this on jack stands, holding the pulley secure while trying to tighten the bolt with a torque wrench while laying on your back is next to impossible. I just put some Loctite on the bolt and use an impact to tighten. It's not like a cylinder head bolt.

Back