honda- 10w40 or 0w40 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mer

Just bought a very nice 2004 honda rubicon -trx500fa...400 miles...changed the oil & filter ( 5.2 qts.) with valvoline 10w40 4-cycle atv-motorcycle oil....spotted some 0w40 full syn. 4-cycle oil at farm & fleet. would this be a good winter oil????

Man, a 4-wheeler with a 5.2qt sump? Jeez.

Stick with the 10w-40 stuff. If you really want to, you could use Rotella T6 during the winter. I doubt there'd be much difference, though.

It would be a good all around oil as long as it carries the JASO MA/MA2 spec.

I been using AMSOIL Synthetic 0W-40 in my Ranchers, in my Rincon and in my nephews Can-Am 650, in several friends Polaris Sportman, Razors and Rangers (fellow club members rides) since about 2001 when it first came out.

A 0W-40 and a 10W-40 are both 40 wt oil at operating temps, the 0W is when its cold for easier starting and faster oil flow. The lower the W number the better the oil flows at cold temps.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Man, a 4-wheeler with a 5.2qt sump? Jeez.

Stick with the 10w-40 stuff. If you really want to, you could use Rotella T6 during the winter. I doubt there'd be much difference, though.

The Rubicon has the Hondamatic transmission which shares the oil with the engine.

To the OP, I use Shell Rotella synthetic in my 07 Rubicon, as well as in my son's 09 Honda Recon, my wife's 04 Yamaha Bruin and the grand kids 06 Honda TRX 90.

I also use it in my Yamaha 650 motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back