Honda 0w20 - 7500 mi - 2011 CR-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my 3rd oil change on the "Z". The oil was changed previously at ~3k & 7.5k, always with Honda 0w20 and a Wix filter. The OLM was at 40%, ~34% by my calculations, after 7500 miles (not sure why blackstone only reports 7k.)

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this report; I try to use the idle stop any chance I get so the engine goes through a lot of starts from the idle shut off. I had a block heater hooked up to the car in the morning, even though its garaged, for the first 2/3rds of the OCI.

The current fill is the last of my Honda oil so I will probably be switching to M1. I will be sticking with the 7.5k interval.

JawsUOA.png

Love that new Z... now, does it have a back seat or NOT? I can never tell from the pics on the Honda site.

I don't believe any of them have that kind of Moly anymore. Honda has moved to CP for their 0w20 down there I believe. If you search there are theads in the PCMO section about it. Toyota is still a high VI 0w20 made by XOM and Idemitsu is still availabel in SN form but I don't think the Moly is that high, could be wrong though. Not sure about the VI either. Subaru and Mazda come to mind....

I think someone also found it online under another name or maybe Idemitsu.

OH and great car by the way! Loved the CRX back when and love the look of these. Two seaters up here too as far as I know.

What kind of mileage do you get? Auto or stick?

Why do 7,500 mile OCIs if the oil can go longer?

Should have gotten a TBN to determine how much oil life is left.

IMO, changing it @ 40% oil life remaining on the OLM is a waste, esp for an economic Hybrid car like the CR-Z. It's designed for 10k OCIs.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
It's not the newer stuff. I wonder if either of them have the same shot of moly?.

The COP made Honda oils, blend part #-9036 and full syn part #-9037, both show ~100ppm moly and ~200 ppm boron. It is not known if the types of moly are the same so we really don't know if they are comparable. This UOA is undoubtedly the older Idemitsu formulation.

Note: I am running the COP Honda Full Syn in our Accord V6 but it will be a while before it gets tested.

Originally Posted By: cp3
OH and great car by the way! Loved the CRX back when and love the look of these. Two seaters up here too as far as I know.

What kind of mileage do you get? Auto or stick?

5spd... wouldn't own a car without a MT. I'm running ~44mpg average. Really doesn't matter how much interstate or city driving I do the MPGs stay really consistent.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Why do 7,500 mile OCIs if the oil can go longer?

Should have gotten a TBN to determine how much oil life is left.

IMO, changing it @ 40% oil life remaining on the OLM is a waste, esp for an economic Hybrid car like the CR-Z. It's designed for 10k OCIs.

I have no desire to push the oil in this car and didn't feel like spending an extra $20 when I will only be using this oil for 1 more OCI.

WOW....Ya, I'm wishing I had stayed away from the slushbox too, I miss rowing. Especially when there's already and auto in the driveway. 44MPG is awesome though! Just told the wife she needs to learn to like Hondas....lol

Since it showed good results....
I believe Mazda and Mitsubishi are also still Idemitsu GF-4 but not Subaru.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Was talking to Idemitsu USA today.
Their 0W-20 is also distributed under their own name through wholesalers such as Worldpac.com.
The Idemitsu GF-4 0W-20 part number is PCS-0W20-QT

Looks good.

Everything here is screaming for longer runs, including the OLM.

Now you're going towards M1?

PUH-Leeze tell me you're going to at least run to the OEM OCI limit, and past that. Lie to me, if you must ...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Looks good.

Everything here is screaming for longer runs, including the OLM.

Now you're going towards M1?

PUH-Leeze tell me you're going to at least run to the OEM OCI limit, and past that. Lie to me, if you must ...

I drive ~22k a year. If I followed the OLM, ~11k OCI, I would change the oil twice a year vs. 3 times when following my 7.5k OCI. For an extra $25/yr I'll stick with my shorter OCI.

I agree that I could go farther but I'm not interested in pushing anything close to the limit. (Not that 7.5k on M1 is close to the limit)

"For an extra $25/yr I'll stick with my shorter OCI."

Makes 100% sense to me. Your engine will probably only last 2 or 3 decades...

Cheers!

p.s. The 44 mpg sounds just great: only wish it had a back seat, as two passenger cars don't carry two big dogs very well.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
p.s. The 44 mpg sounds just great: only wish it had a back seat, as two passenger cars don't carry two big dogs very well.

You'd be surprised how much can fit in the car. I haven't tried the dogs yet but have carried a 21 gal air compressor, a fully assembled 1000 lb engine stand, and 10 V8 cylinder heads at various times and they all have fit without much hassle.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Originally Posted By: Norm Olt

You'd be surprised how much can fit in the car. I haven't tried the dogs yet but have carried a 21 gal air compressor, a fully assembled 1000 lb engine stand, and 10 V8 cylinder heads at various times and they all have fit without much hassle.

Wow. That's very hard to picture, but very cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back