Home invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This timely. A few hours ago my neighbor caught my attention and told me he came home around noon on Monday to 2 people in his house. He got his phone out and was able to record them fleeing and they are already in jail. They were charged with burglary, theft, and mischief hate crime. It sounds like they were targeted. My wife is forever hounding me to lock up when I leave for any length of time and of course she's right again. This is in a town of less 10,000 people.

Originally Posted By: Aichiguy
This timely. A few hours ago my neighbor caught my attention and told me he came home around noon on Monday to 2 people in his house. He got his phone out and was able to record them fleeing and they are already in jail. They were charged with burglary, theft, and mischief hate crime. It sounds like they were targeted. My wife is forever hounding me to lock up when I leave for any length of time and of course she's right again. This is in a town of less 10,000 people.

Social media is a huge contributor to this. I knew it was, but until I interned at a local PD I didn't realize just how much.

So many people document their entire lives, when they will be away on vacation, alone, where they live, what they have, etc. Anyone can go online and find it and target you, and it doesn't really take a lot of searching either.

Last edited:
It's important to have good locks and good doors on your house. I only enter and exit my house through the garage door, all doors are always locked. Not because I'm paranoid, it's actually more convenient to just go out the garage at my house.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Ruff = Ruger ... pretty obvious I’m talking sleeping hours and not some particular event ...

That guy stabbed his girlfriend in the shower, psycho style. Stabbed more times in the back than the front. Do you carry with it you in the shower?

True.

All I know is that if someone breaks into my house home invasion style, one of us will die. If I ever got the upper hand I would show absolutely no mercy, even if he begged for his life. If I didn't have a gun I'd literally kick and stomp him to death. And if it was some cranked up woman, I'd treat her like a man.

Scott

Ruff = Ruger ... pretty obvious I’m talking sleeping hours and not some particular event ...

That guy stabbed his girlfriend in the shower, psycho style. Stabbed more times in the back than the front. Do you carry with it you in the shower?

First of all I don’t live alone and all three of us shoot … the bathroom is one of our stash places since you are always exposed there ... it’s central … and our strong room for storms … but no I don’t have submersible guns …

How many levels of jeopardy are we playing with this?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
A lot of people don't take the "element of surprise" into account. I don't care how armed you are, if your surprised by someone..... .
yep. Say your sitting there watching TV and someone busts in ,runs up to you and shoots or stabs you. You never had a chance.

Exactly. Your doors and windows should be reinforced to the point where no one can simply get in without being slowed down significantly and making lots of noise. Bar across the door into steel framing, security film on windows, etc.

Wireless Alarms: check.
Wireless Communications: check.
Battery Backup: check.
Deadbolts: check.
Secured Bedroom: check.
Loaded Glock: check.
Loaded Glock Mags: check.
Light Sleeper: check.
The only violent crime that’ll be committed in my house will be one of the violently stupid.

Probably a more prepared group than most on here.
Still surprises me how nieve people are. I would think it would be no problem for a stranger to knock on the door,stab the homeowner and the fog to death to stop it from barking.
Even when people read about it or see it on TV it's OMG.
No it's mankind and there has been evil ones among us since the beginning.

One thing I learned from visiting and living in less nice places is to not open the door. If someone knocks, shout " Who is it?" If you don't like their answer tell them to go away. This has the benefit of putting the knocker on the back foot which may convince them to move on.

Growing up where I did, when someone knocked on the door people always opened it right up. I don't do that now.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I have two German Shepherds that are with me 99% of the time when I'm home. I doubt anything is going to happen here lol.

I have one as well, very observant. BUT he is an early warning system/deterrent, not a defense. Consider your dogs early warning systems, you still need to deal with the issue.

I have never left doors unlocked, be it the house or vehicles. Why make it easy for someone to steal or get in? I put door wedges under the doors before I go to bed for added security. All sliding windows have wood dowels in them top prevent prying them open. They have to break the glass to get in them.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I have two German Shepherds that are with me 99% of the time when I'm home. I doubt anything is going to happen here lol.

I have one as well, very observant. BUT he is an early warning system/deterrent, not a defense. Consider your dogs early warning systems, you still need to deal with the issue.

I also have a German Shepherd and Schauzer mix. Both are loose inside the house at night so they can investigate any strange sounds.

First of all I don’t live alone and all three of us shoot … the bathroom is one of our stash places since you are always exposed there ... it’s central … and our strong room for storms … but no I don’t have submersible guns …

How many levels of jeopardy are we playing with this?

Well you could be shot by one of the other two. I think that's what that olympic guy claimed, woke up in the middle of the night and thought his girlfriend was an intruder so he shot through the bathroom and killed her. Of course the psycho that killed his girlfriend, I don't think she really had a chance, they both lived there and I guess the last thing you'd expect is to have a boyfriend kill you while you're taking a shower. Just saying you're never really as safe as you think and you can only do so much.

Locks on doors are excellent protection against honest folks breaking into your home.

For the less than honest folks, all bets are off.

Except for overnight I have felt safe in NH to leave doors unlocked at my homes in coastal New England.

I feel like statistically it ain’t going to happen and that kind of violent stuff is pretty rare. Maybe naive but the way I grew up.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Except for overnight I have felt safe in NH to leave doors unlocked at my homes in coastal New England.

I feel like statistically it ain’t going to happen and that kind of violent stuff is pretty rare. Maybe naive but the way I grew up.

A few episodes of Forensic Files had people raped and murdered because they left their door unlocked.

Keep all doors locked, lots of weirdos roaming around looking for easy opportunity to _____ .

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Me too. About the only time we lock doors is when we are gone for the weekend. I know my doors would be easy fodder to kick in anyhow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back