Unique off grid home on 40 acres, $453,000

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Unique off grid home on for acres for $453,000. Any home without utility provided electricity always will be a complicated living. Especially if the owner is getting up in age. And this area I suspect gets cold at night. Still a fun home to look at. Wonder if much of the home is manufactured? Have a well is always a good thing. II suspect this home may not come with water rights, which means even water the comes off the roof of the house is the property of someone else.

It is not landscaped has no features of value.does it have good water, .My real estate opinion.

If you plot the address out on Google Earth, you are 2 miles each way on dirt roads before you get to any pavement. And that's a frontage road that parallels I-40. From there it's another 5 miles to Ash Fork, and it doesn't look like there's too much there.

For most things you'll have to go to Flagstaff. That is another 51 miles one way from Ash Fork via I-40.... And another 2,000 ft. climb. (7,000 ft.). Round trip from the house to Flagstaff and back is 116 miles. (Plus any driving around).

The property elevation is shown to be 5,000 ft. So it's going to get cold, and there is going to be snow, and plenty of wind. You'll be buying, cutting, and hauling a lot of wood.... But no one is going to bother you. If the world goes to hell in a handbasket, it wouldn't be a bad place to live.

If you plot the address out on Google Earth, you are 2 miles each way on dirt roads before you get to any pavement. And that's a frontage road that parallels I-40. From there it's another 5 miles to Ash Fork, and it doesn't look like there's too much there.

For most things you'll have to go to Flagstaff. That is another 51 miles one way from Ash Fork via I-40.... And another 2,000 ft. climb. (7,000 ft.). Round trip from the house to Flagstaff and back is 116 miles. (Plus any driving around).

The property elevation is shown to be 5,000 ft. So it's going to get cold, and there is going to be snow, and plenty of wind. You'll be buying, cutting, and hauling a lot of wood.... But no one is going to bother you. If the world goes to hell in a handbasket, it wouldn't be a bad place to live.
Great comments/ information. Looking at all the properties of five acres of more in Yavapai County, this was this was the only property that was not under contract or very pricey for what one gets. You identified why this property is priced like it is. I suspect just two years ago with the "off grid/ remote" frenzy going on, this property might have been purchased by a Californian or resident from the NE US without a tour of the property. Maybe those type of sales are slowing down....

I sent this to my Wife just to look at- I wish I didn't :(.

Zero curb appeal.
I am wondering if the home was some type of prefab sections combined together, with outside trim to mask the prefab. The bedroom with the sealed windows suggests this was a pre-fab of some nature.

Someone has used the home for 20 years, so that's a plus. Well water and solar power is OK, but I'd say a diesel powered generator is in order. You could add a Dish TV satellite. But what about cellphone and internet coverage?
Your pointing out cell service is very important. I don't worry so much about Internet service, the lobbyist are making sure that most all of America will have Internet service (paid for with other people's monies).

Someone has used the home for 20 years, so that's a plus. Well water and solar power is OK, but I'd say a diesel powered generator is in order. You could add a Dish TV satellite. But what about cellphone and internet coverage?
If you look at the house on Google Earth, it has one of those Generac Systems they advertise on TV. They must have trenched an underground line to the home, because the generator is a good distance away..... Which is good, because you won't have to listen to it at night..... (They also show it in picture #56).

If you look at the house on Google Earth, it has one of those Generac Systems they advertise on TV. They must have trenched an underground line to the home, because the generator is a good distance away..... Which is good, because you won't have to listen to it at night..... (They also show it in picture #56).
For a guy soon to tap 60 years of age, and a wife who would never take a action to address a failed off grid power system, I think having a rural electric provider is a mandatory requirement.

Doesn't that outfit, (I think it's called Hughesnet), offer satellite Internet coverage for everywhere in the continental U.S.?
Hughsnet doesn't always work so good. Numerous private equity firms and other organizations will be getting billion dollar checks from the USD to provide enhanced rural Internet service.
How well it works so well is another subject.

The description says 40 acres. The lot outline on the photos, at least to me, says maybe 10 acres. I mean, if the house is 100 feet wide its like the the lot is 6 houses wide, or 600 feet. And the lot looks square 600'x600'=8 acres give or take.

Unique off grid home on for acres for $453,000. Any home without utility provided electricity always will be a complicated living. Especially if the owner is getting up in age. And this area I suspect gets cold at night. Still a fun home to look at. Wonder if much of the home is manufactured? Have a well is always a good thing. II suspect this home may not come with water rights, which means even water the comes off the roof of the house is the property of someone else.

noticed the solar, the water system + the gas/fuel globe and a generator but could not spot what type of hvac system is used? probably a
heat pump+

For a guy soon to tap 60 years of age, and a wife who would never take a action to address a failed off grid power system, I think having a rural electric provider is a mandatory requirement.
That's just the problem for guys like us, (getting older). It's a, "working property". A lot of, "Honey this or that isn't working again!" And when "honey" takes a dirt nap, the only way she'll get out of that place quicker, is if it was on fire.

Back