home HVAC question...to charge or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would call in a HVAC guy who knows what he's doing and have a leak test done at the coil and condenser as well as the lines between them. Wouldn't hurt to check the wiring and TXV. Then make your decision to repair and top-off.

You're going to be replacing the system in the future - you could retrofit to an alternative refrigerant but there will be a performance drop.

Two ways to do a quick check... no real skills needed.

Measure return air temp, then supply air temp. Your looking for 18-22 degree drop.
Go look outside. With the unit running for a while, the larger wet/cold pipe should be sweating right up to the compressor.

If those are good, don't worry.

If I were you and it leaked, I would consider having the R22 removed and recharge with MO99 after a leak search.

Mixing two refrigerants is not allowed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
At cost, the going rate for R-22 is in the $400-450 range for 30LB.

Where? Who's cost? I want some.

Baker was at $565 a 30 for 22 this week.
MO99 runs about $200 a 25.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith

My bad. You see, I am a corporate buyer. That is what my company pays for the stuff. I was only trying to make a statement about the price gouging that happens with this stuff. I could buy it at employee cost with my IMACA card, but I'm not sure that I would need anywhere near that much for my own system before it wears out.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith

My bad. You see, I am a corporate buyer. That is what my company pays for the stuff.

No problem, the prices I quoted are wholesale.
Hate to think what folks are actually paying.
I remember selling it to customers for less than $5 a Lb.
That was a while back.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Pretty sure the CAA says you need to find and fix the leak before filling.
Only if it exceeds a certain percentage rate. I haven't touched the unit for over 4 years and still working great. I'm just wondering should I top it off, i.e. adding a little more oil to get to the full mark on the dipstick. Blowing ice cubes meant it's blowing cold air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back