Home Depot to stop selling incandescent lightbulbs July 31st.

Think this only applies to certain bulbs. Traditional A19 bulbs, Traditional PAR30 bulbs, Traditional Decor bulbs. So appliance bulbs and things like rough service bulbs and other special use bulbs will still be available.

Not just a home depot thing either its going to be everywhere. Department of energy mandate.

My moms “appliances “ all use regular A19’s most LEDs don’t fit right and don’t light correctly side mounted

Idk I guess I’m weird and like LED lamps. No excess heat in the summer and mine seem to last for years. I can’t remember the last time I had one burn out, maybe a year ago?

Same here. I remodeled in 2015 and every light bulb in the house went in the roll off, there was a thread here for Philips LEDs 2 for $5 at Home Depot and I used them in every fixture in the house. 8 years later and I haven't replaced one! They're in the outdoor fixtures, bathrooms, closets and lamps. Even have one in the garage door opener. They run cool, use a fraction of the electricity and don't need to be replaced regularly. Can't imagine why anyone would want incandescent in a standard household application.

Some LEDs interfere with garage door openers and even the car fob (interior LED and/or interior dome LED) so you have to be careful and test or research before spending time and $. Not all LEDs are the same.

I bought some cheaper LED bulbs off Amazon that flickered horribly. Replaced with ones from homedepot and no more problems.

You can get LEDs with warmer color temperatures.
IMG_4200.jpg

That really sucks. The new stuff hurts my eyes that’s why I have to constantly wear my hat around the house which I would do anyway regardless but I’m glad we stocked up on these regular bulbs a long time ago. Have several. We always find them on sale for cheap.

Your point? Obviously there are some specialty uses like inside an oven where LEDs don't make sense, but for general household lighting there's no reason to use incandescent.
Agreed but already I have found myself taking a hacksaw to an “150 watt eq” LED Aluminum base and rotating the included circuit board at an angle because i could no longer buy the correct incandescent replacement bulb (correct wattage/ brightness/ size)
So I could avoid a hundred pounds of insulation falling down because I would need to do rather significant mods to get different lighting fixture installed.

I believe at the least the old fashioned A19 halogen bulbs my father used (saves 25% electricity) should be available with extra taxes for the 8 or so lights in the house that can’t be replaced with LEDs.

Most of our lights are CFL or LED, certain places LED suck and even fluorescent works better because of how the light spreads and it doesn’t blind.

Basement especially odd fluorescent works best in the bare hanging lights there.

Thankfully many years ago when the first incandescent ban went through my father bought dozens of 100 watt bulbs.

Sadly he didn’t buy any of the odd 150 watt a19 bulbs or any extra of the strange a19 halogens and only had one spare donut fluorescent that works well in the basement

Last edited:
The bulbs that have LED sticks inside emit most of the light through the sides of the bulb and relatively little from the top, even better than an incandescent in something like a table lamp. These are now common in the marketplace.

The bulbs that have LED sticks inside emit most of the light through the sides of the bulb and relatively little from the top, even better than an incandescent in something like a table lamp. These are now common in the marketplace.
And they look descent for exposed fixtures since they're glass.

And they look descent for exposed fixtures since they're glass.
My issue is that this place is lit like a dungeon and usually I need at least a 100 watt eq

Most of the specialty bulbs are 60 watt or less (too dim) or they are odd corncob things with ~9000 on the blue end (we have a outdoor only corncob in one of our living room lamps with a large shade because it is otherwise so dim in the room)

I was able to modify a few high powered LEDs to fit where I need 150 watts in strange old ceiling mounted fixtures and oddly per my laser thermometer run cooler mostly dehoused

I’m hoping at some point they can shrink down the LEDs so 100/150 watt bulbs are no bigger than a normal A19
I’m also hoping the foreign Arabian LEDs ~250lm/wt come over.

Historically I saw LED elements mounted to a globe shaped substrate, that would help a lot.

My folks used to run an old computer portrait booth, we had tried so called color balanced led and even fluorescent spotlights and good lord do those suck, makes all the photos ugly and the bulbs were god awefull expensive.

My issue is that this place is lit like a dungeon and usually I need at least a 100 watt eq

Most of the specialty bulbs are 60 watt or less (too dim) or they are odd corncob things with ~9000 on the blue end (we have a outdoor only corncob in one of our living room lamps with a large shade because it is otherwise so dim in the room)

I was able to modify a few high powered LEDs to fit where I need 150 watts in strange old ceiling mounted fixtures and oddly per my laser thermometer run cooler mostly dehoused

I’m hoping at some point they can shrink down the LEDs so 100/150 watt bulbs are no bigger than a normal A19
I’m also hoping the foreign Arabian LEDs ~250lm/wt come over.

Historically I saw LED elements mounted to a globe shaped substrate, that would help a lot.

My folks used to run an old computer portrait booth, we had tried so called color balanced led and even fluorescent spotlights and good lord do those suck, makes all the photos ugly and the bulbs were god awefull expensive.
There are quite a few A19 100W equivalents on the market now...not sure about the 150W though but I would guess A21 for those. I use many glass A19 100W equivalents in my house.

There are quite a few A19 100W equivalents on the market now...not sure about the 150W though but I would guess A21 for those. I use many glass A19 100W equivalents in my house.
I tried them but they wouldn’t fit through the openings in the fixtures or the top hit the glass.

I figured since my father had an old 150 watt in there and I had to rehouse anyway I just bought a 150 watt led and chopped and modified it to fit then aimed the circuit board where I needed light.

Took time but hopefully I don’t need to do it again in 5-10

I tried them but they wouldn’t fit through the openings in the fixtures or the top hit the glass.

I figured since my father had an old 150 watt in there and I had to rehouse anyway I just bought a 150 watt led and chopped and modified it to fit then aimed the circuit board where I needed light.

Took time but hopefully I don’t need to do it again in 5-10
I think the only place you will be able to get halogens and incandescent bulbs will be flea markets. I predict eBay will ban them eventually

I think the only place you will be able to get halogens and incandescent bulbs will be flea markets. I predict eBay will ban them eventually
CFLs and fluorescent are supposedly banned as well, I will need new fixtures in the basement since some of the oddities haven’t been converted to LED drop ins.

Thankfully I don’t need to deal with insulation and mess in the basement.

The LEDs that replace fluorescent tubes are cheap and work well, sadly the expensive units I bought for the bathroom hum like a mother, unfortunate I didn’t buy all $3.99 cheapies that are thus far silent

Back