Home Depot to stop selling incandescent lightbulbs July 31st.

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
According to 2 employees at my Local Home Depot. They received a memo that on July 31st, all incandescent bulbs will be pulled from the shelves and sent back to the manufacturer.

They could not confirm if this was for Edison bulbs only or everything including the smaller appliance bulbs and odd sizes.

I was checking out the bulbs which were in the clearance section when one of the employees told me about this. They also said the bulbs won't get any cheaper then they are now, 50 to 90% off. I picked up multiple 2 and 3 pack boxes of 60 to 100 watt regular and halogen bulbs, including bathroom mirror and flood lights for between $1 and $3 a box.

If old style bulbs are your thing, now is the time to stock up!

I like halogens for in home / bedroom use as they emit light more in the infrared range which is less activating than LEDs which are blue light emitters. There is no infrared in LEDs and this can disrupt your melatonin production in the evening:

"Exposing yourself to any kind of artificial light before bed can disrupt your sleep, but some types of light suppress melatonin more powerfully than others. Blue wavelengths, which are present in sunlight, electronic screens and energy-efficient LED lighting, suppresses melatonin for a longer period of time than other types of light, like green or red wavelengths.

A recent study, which Cain co-authored, examined the effects of different types of home lighting on melatonin production and found that homes with energy-efficient lights had almost double the melanopic illuminance, or melatonin suppressing effects, than homes with incandescent lighting. Out of 56 participants examined in the study, nearly half had light bright enough in their homes to suppress melatonin by 50%.

“This switchover [to LED lights] that is beneficial for energy consumption is probably having a negative impact on our health,” Cain says. “I don’t think the general public knows that much about the potential negative effects of light.”

Researchers note, however, that sensitivity to light varies among people and not everyone’s circadian system responds in the same way to the same home light environment. Still, greater exposure to light in the evening is associated with increased wakefulness at bedtime and can have an effect on your quality of sleep."

Well, I have some of those recessed pocket lights and I use incandescent bulbs. They’re operated by a fancy dimmer switch and they work great. I tried the LED so-called dimmerable bulbs, but they totally and absolutely don’t work well at all. The incandescent bulbs have been in there for more than 20-years. 🤷‍♂️

I gotta love replacing incadescents multiple times a year

I have some CFLs which are close to 10 years still in service

My room has one 60watt equivelent led at 2700k for night time, and a 150watt equivalent 5100k for during the day time

I find incandescent more reliable, and as mentioned, there are benefits to the infrared light. Not for all applications of course. Definitely not for outside, I am LED all the way around the exterior, in the garage, and rooms I don't spend much time in.

I'm wondering what to do with an old Easy-Bake oven.

I do remember when I could get a 4-pack of GE Soft White in 25-100W. But for the most part I use very little light around the home. In my living room I have a single small light bulb and at night I get around the house with small flashlights.

CFLs are great longevity wise, mercury is an issue in schools where if a CFL breaks, you have to air out the room. I believe multiple states have already banned CFLs for this reason.

I gotta love replacing incadescents multiple times a year

My room has one 60watt equivelent led at 2700k for night time, and a 150watt equivalent 5100k for during the day time

I've had quite a few CFLs fail. And the annoying thing is how long it takes to start along with possibly taking a while to get up to full brightness. However, the average life is nowhere near as good as LEDs. I've had LEDs fail though, but that was typically some sort of random failure like the power supply failing. Had an LED tube fail too, but that was probably the pin contacts splaying on a T8 equivalent.

Think this only applies to certain bulbs. Traditional A19 bulbs, Traditional PAR30 bulbs, Traditional Decor bulbs. So appliance bulbs and things like rough service bulbs and other special use bulbs will still be available.

Not just a home depot thing either its going to be everywhere. Department of energy mandate.

What about the small engines? I assume they're next.

The Home Depot is one of those corporations that will roll over and play dead at the drop of a hat.
Looks like it's a new law:

"In May of 2022, the Department of Energy issued new standards for lighting products. Starting August 1, 2023, the sale of incandescent and halogen bulbs will be banned. Due to a push toward energy efficiency, bulbs that produce less than 45 lumens per watt will be illegal to sell. This includes bulbs such as:

• Traditional A19 bulbs
  • Traditional PAR30 bulbs
  • Traditional Decor bulbs
This means it will be illegal to sell, manufacture or import such bulbs. Manufacturers and retailers were notified of this in January 2023. This will eliminate most halogen and incandescent bulbs currently on the market. Manufacturers were ordered to stop producing these bulbs in January, but the full enforcement will begin in July."

Wow, you won't be able to even buy them on eBay legally from old stocks. Is there a provision for vintage light bulb collectors?

Nothing wrong w/halogen PAR 38's in outside flood lights which don't stay on for long time. Buy them now (if you're still able). The energy saver halogen A19 bulbs are nothing like the old filament bulbs of old. I'm not a fan of these. You may also want to look into buying a gas powered mower as well. In my neck of the woods (Va.) , all Honda gas powered mowers which we (Home Depot) sell, were sent back to Honda. (Lowes did the same.) Honda Customer Service said they were under "Investigation"? I don't know if they're coming back.

LED Scam ... another consumer rip off.

Perhaps the technology is getting there? idk
Have a few that either dimmed pretty bad, flicker and/or died well before the advertised 50000-100000 hours.

I bought a bunch when they were discounted to encourage the switch to the LED. Don't see the discounts or rebates anymore and at full price, it's even a bigger rip off unless they've got better over the last few years. Friend paid $300+ for his LED headlights that lasted 2 years. My 1997 has one replacement so far.

What about all the LED associated electronic waste after they die and dumped into the garbage cans? Is the government worry about saving or not wasting that energy?

Maybe Harbour Freight will start carrying incandescent now. lol

Well, I have some of those recessed pocket lights and I use incandescent bulbs. They’re operated by a fancy dimmer switch and they work great. I tried the LED so-called dimmerable bulbs, but they totally and absolutely don’t work well at all. The incandescent bulbs have been in there for more than 20-years. 🤷‍♂️
My sister has the same situation. Her house has a 20+ year old timer/dimmer system that controls the LR, DR and kitchen. The LED bulbs do not work at all. They flicker, don't dim or don't come on at all. A google search revealed that dimming an LED is done by pulsing the current as opposed to just reducing current for incandescent bulbs. She would have to replace the entire control panel to adapt to LED bulbs.

Nothing wrong w/halogen PAR 38's in outside flood lights which don't stay on for long time. Buy them now (if you're still able). The energy saver halogen A19 bulbs are nothing like the old filament bulbs of old. I'm not a fan of these. You may also want to look into buying a gas powered mower as well. In my neck of the woods (Va.) , all Honda gas powered mowers which we (Home Depot) sell, were sent back to Honda. (Lowes did the same.) Honda Customer Service said they were under "Investigation"? I don't know if they're coming back.
Honda is discontinuing production of their outdoor lawn equipment by September of 2023 as previously discussed on BITOG:

BITOG - Honda discontinuing OPE

Who would want an incandescent bulb in 2023?
My 2022 microwave has an incandescent bulb, I tried 2 different LED bulbs, they didn't fit.

I can't dry out my wet boots under an LED reading lamp.

I put LED bulbs and two different modern "LED Flasher" in my 40 year old motorcycle, the result was random running light outage. Back to incandescents with either flasher... fine.

I think any large store will drop merchandise that consumers aren’t buying anymore.
Good news is this leaves some items for small online specialty retailers to sell.

Last edited:
I still prefer the quality of light from incandescent bulbs. I've stuck to using them as reading lamps and such.

We use a couple of 30/100/130s in our living room as general lighting. 3-ways use to be exempt from the ban but I'm guessing that's no longer the case.

Back