HOA says no US flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's not there currently ...
http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2017/ic/titles/032#32-21

The BILL has been introduced and read and passed to committee.
However it is not yet LAW.

Pains me to see this topic, but it's an HOA after all.

Perhaps see if your HOA permits annual rules/covenants reviews, then get a bunch of link-minded folks to help vote in a change to the HOA rules!

Last edited:
Good catch Dave. Well, now he knows what to call his representatives and tell them to support!

PW... wait until it's law
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted By: PW01
I have to say that I'm quite surprised that no one seems upset that an HOA would try to tell homeowners that they can't fly an American flag
HOA are know to be quite picky about stuff like that. There are some that don't allow cars to be in the drive away. I think its terrible that they would do that, but its their right to do it. If you didn't like it you shouldn't have signed. You signed up for that life. You can't fight it and expect to win if they said no in the contract.

The town where I grew up had some weird restrictions, late in life my dad had a urge to buy a big pickup (maybe even a duallie) but he knew it wouldn't fit in his tiny '50s era one car attached garage and residents were not allowed to park "work vehicles" in their own driveways. He even thought about tearing out part of his backyard fence and having a pad poured off the alley for parking a truck (this was allowed), but he wasn't exactly swimming in dough and he knew he didn't really NEED the truck, though.
It made me sad at the time that dad couldn't indulge this whim in his retirement, he even knew of a truck that the school district he had worked for was planning to sell at a good price. Probably worked out better in the long run as he had a stroke within two years of this and wasn't able to drive after that, and getting rid of his Marquis after it sat in his garage for a long time because he was hoping against hope that he would still be able to use it...I did at least use it to drive my sister around when I visited to make sure it kept running, she never got a driver's license.

You guys DO sign up for this form of unionisation.

It's unheard of down here in traditional home ownership areas.

Some of the "estates" that are springing up the last 15 years or so have minimum floor area and external design requirements.

It's not "sad" if you signed up for it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Just for laughs I would put a Mexican flag out there and if they say anything (they probably wont) tell them they are discriminating against undocumented Americans and you will call the ACLU on them. Sit back and watch the fun.

That would be awesome!
cheers3.gif

2 weeks ago we moved into a new house in an HOA. Before we signed the initial paperwork we were given a copy of the HOA rules to read and had to sign a doc stating we read and understood the rules. We read the rules carefully and decided we could live with the rules, not to move in then fight the rules. Yes it's ridiculous but in this day and age if the rules allow only the US flag you can bet they'll have lawsuits to allow the Mexican flag, the LGBTQ flag, the NRA flag, the Coast Guard flag, Steelers flag, etc, etc. If your patriotism compels you to fly the flag maybe find a way to put up the free standing pole and do it proudly and within the rules you undoubtedly agreed to.

This HOA horse has been beat to a bloody pulp here before and it's exactly like complaining about the content rules of BITOG.

Really people, grow up and stow this "Gee, I can't fly the flag" victimization stuff.

The HOA restriction is about dimbos drilling into the fronts of buildings to mount the flag's mounting socket.

Rules ALWAYS get written broadly. Go to a meeting and come with an example of the hardware involved. I bet you can get the rule modified.

"Gee, they wouldn't pick on the Mexicans". Really do grow up. You've been making it way too easy for the demagogues.

OP can your car be in the driveway, or does it need to be in the garage at all times? IF not, attach a large magnetic flag to each side of your car. Or have an old beater car wrapped with an American flag vinyl wrap.

The other method is to hold a lot of cookouts, get to know all your neighbors and eventually take over government of the Hoa and neuter it.

Last edited:
Anyone stupid enough to give away freedom of choice in order to live in a special place,you deserve what you signed up for.

It appears you can fly an American flag just not in the front. What if people wanted to fly a confederate flag, State flag, college flags, gay pride or an ISIS flag in front? Should those be allowed since they are flags?

I'd write them back and say this America. They don't do anything. There is a guy who keeps his boat in his driveway that nobody seems to care about in my old neighborhood. I need to go give the hoa president a hard time about that. Nobody let me put my boat in the driveway.

Having been in an HOA, unfortunately they expect you to play by their rules, and you agree to follow the bylaws if you live there. If you really want to fight it and get them to allow it, go to the board and plead your case to try to get the bylaws amended to allow a small flag. Yes, it stinks that they are not allowing you to fly the flag, but they would also like to keep folks from getting carried away.

It was a happy day when I moved out of my HOA and got a place without one.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Just for laughs I would put a Mexican flag out there and if they say anything (they probably wont) tell them they are discriminating against undocumented Americans and you will call the ACLU on them. Sit back and watch the fun.

That is hilarious, and it might just lead to being able to fly the American flag!

Originally Posted By: Kira
"Gee, they wouldn't pick on the Mexicans". Really do grow up. You've been making it way too easy for the demagogues.

You don't get out much, do you?

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
You live in a HOA. You pretty much signed away your rights living there. What does the contract you signed say about flags?

This...

You can petition whatever governing body your HOA has...don’t settle for the word of one representative.

I'll never buy in a HOA community because of this nonsense.

Originally Posted By: PW01
This is what is printed in the exclusions -

"Generally, requests for flagpoles will be denied. Attachment of flagpoles to the rear of the residence shall be allowed.
Repair, maintenance and operation of any approved flagpole is the responsibility of the owner"

There's your answer! Attach a 40-foot flagpole to the back of your house and fly that 6'x10' flag. If the word "attachment" isn't defined in the agreement, put it in the ground and run a wire to the house's foundation to ground it...then it's "attached".

Or if you want to really stir them up, install it in the ground in your front yard, and run the grounding wire around to the back of the house. Then it would be attached to the rear of the residence....
grin.gif

Last edited:
You should have read your HOA rules before buying your house. No sense trying to fight them as you will lose. I know in this state HOA's have a lot of power. And like anything else there are good ones and bad ones.

I don't know why anyone would buy a home that has an HOA. They prevent things like curtain colors they don't approve of and window air conditioners.

They usually charge a monthly or yearly fee for the privilege of paying for a home and being told you can't fly a flag is an issue?

Living in an HOA means you're renting. Try not paying your HOA fees and see how long it takes them to forclose on your home.

They have HOA meetings so attend them and complain, get a vote to change the bylaws. I find it interesting HOA rules against flag display becomes the country is changing. When you signed the HOA agreement, you agreed to the flag policy.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I don't know why anyone would buy a home that has an HOA. They prevent things like curtain colors they don't approve of and window air conditioners.

They usually charge a monthly or yearly fee for the privilege of paying for a home and being told you can't fly a flag is an issue?

Living in an HOA means you're renting. Try not paying your HOA fees and see how long it takes them to forclose on your home.

Some say there are benefits to belonging to an HOA, but I think the bad far outweighs the good...I would not buy a home with an HOA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back