High VI and Base Stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 EP 0w-20 (for fun, and we know it has more PAO than the AFE oil)

KV100: 8.6
KV40: 44.9
Density: 0.839
HTHS: 2.7
KV150: 2.86

Harman Index: 0.944 (even better!), which is about as good as your current favourite
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, that's what I mean, the 0W30 looks a bit like the 0W20 with more VII.

Actally, looking at flashpoint, the 0W20 looks like it starts a little thicker than the 30.

Well, what I've gleaned from this discussion applicable to my currently lubricant choice is that all of the M1 0w-xx products appear to use very little VII, particularly the 0w-20 variants.

I wanted to play and chose Pennzoil Platinum. This data is for the SM, non-GTL Pure Plus.

KV100: 10.3
KV40: 57.5
Density: 0.856
HTHS: 3.1
KV150: 4.47

Harman Index: 0.917

I have much interest in Delo's new 15W-30. Educated guess for the HTHSV, it is not listed in the PDS.

KV100: 12.0
KV40: 89.1
Density: 0.881
HTHS: 3.5 WAG!!! NOT LISTED!!!
KV150: 3.57

Harman Index: 0.980

how about this one?

http://totalengineoils.com/quartz-9000-energy-0w30/

I can't find a few numbers, like the exact HTHS but it's an A3/B4 oil so above 3.5. The PDS doesn't list the density either, but maybe the MSDS does.

Anyway, with an assumed 0.85 density and 3.5 HTHS, I get an Harman index of 0.891

Viscosity at 40°C mm2/s ASTM D445 68.45
Viscosity at 100°C mm2/s ASTM 445 12.18

EDIT found the Density in the MSDS, but alo differing KV for both 40 and 100°C

69.3 @ 40°C
12.3 @ 100°C both according to ISO 3104
Density 0.85

These numbers and an assumed 3.5 HTHS gives 0.883 for the Harman index

You guys would appear to be reading into this far too much.

I'm a bit lost as to what is being discussed now but there is a lot more to an oil than amount of VII and VI numbers.

That table being quoted talks about group I and the chart on PAO vs group 3 ignores effect of ppd.

You're lost because you are WAY behind the power curve on this topic. What's being discussed is pretty cool and most certainly is relevant for the few of us that delve this deep.

Sure beats another "What oil is best" thread. Maybe a little more reading is in order.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro

I'm a bit lost as to what is being discussed now but there is a lot more to an oil than amount of VII and VI numbers.

That table being quoted talks about group I and the chart on PAO vs group 3 ignores effect of ppd.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 EP 0w-20 (for fun, and we know it has more PAO than the AFE oil)

KV100: 8.6
KV40: 44.9
Density: 0.839
HTHS: 2.7
KV150: 2.86

Harman Index: 0.944 (even better!), which is about as good as your current favourite
thumbsup2.gif

I was always asking the higher VI poster the question about base stock differences, he brushed it off.
Now unless i really lost lost the plot here i would seem that oils formulated with better base stocks don't need a high VI at all as they are inherently more stable and shear resistant without.

There was an article i was reading some time ago that said a VI of anything over 150 is not needed with superior base stocks and higher VI is just a way of stabilizing inferior base stocks.
The higher it is the lesser the base stock quality.

I didn't post that article, it would be akin to calling TGMO swill and some folks would go off the deep end.

The way i understand it if two oils are both of less than premium base stock then the one with higher VI would be the better oil but still not as good as a premium base stock oil with lower VI.

Am i understanding this right? Thoughts.

Interesting discussion. Now you got me all worried that my AFE 0w30 isn't "best" enough
grin.gif

The 2nd chart in the image shows the effects of mileage on two different PPD's in an oil with a relatively narrow spread: 15w-40.

Question for you though: Given that we know VII's break down/shear and PPD's degrade or change with age, this would generally lead to the assumption that if you are using a lube with a primarily PAO base, that since you don't have to use PPD's, that low temp performance is going to be more consistent, and if the base oil blend has a relatively naturally high VI, less VII's as well. Other than the expense (and assuming the additive package we are using already deals with seal compatibility) I don't see a disadvantage
21.gif
So is cost the primary driver in all of this? (I think it is a safe bet to assume it is) And if yes, then are oils with high percentages of PAO (like M1 EP 0w-20) a "better deal" due to the cost of their formulation? At first glance, it certainly looks that way.

Obviously this is being intentionally over-simplified for the sake of the discussion but the topic of base oil selection for a finished product being safe to ignore due to the performance of the end product has been something of a newer thing on here; Trying to get people away from focusing on an oil having PAO or Esters and ignoring everything else and focusing more on the approvals and performance specs of the fully formulated lubricant.

Along with that we saw some of our favourite products evolve in various ways. GC's departure from being green, then from being German. M1 0w-40's cold temp performance taking a hit, PAO being swapped out for VISOM, then the SN formulation brought greater shear stability with it and the most recent change appears to be a switch back to PAO with a 50-60% PAO content.

There's no denying the performance of the end product being the most important thing. But I know for those of us that acknowledge that there is still a secret obsession with base oil composition, and that's what this discussion is about.

And some tangents from that would be:

1. Cold temp performance - AFE 0w-20, using the index discussed, has very little VII in it. We know it has a fair slug of PAO in it, so is its cold temp performance going to remain more consistent through your typical Canadian winter than its Group III-based counterparts like TGMO?

2. If #1 is true, then would EP 0w-20 be even better in that respect? Their indexes are extremely close, despite the fact that we know that the latter has almost 2x the PAO in it.

3. Chasing VI (in the manner in which has been depicted on here, you may have missed that party Bobby) far beyond the natural level of the base oil blend seems to be a game of chasing a characteristic that almost guarantees lower shear stability and greater performance degradation with age. Shannow gave a few examples of that earlier in the thread.

Comparing M1 AFE 0w-20 and TGMO for example, the one's MRV is a natural function of its base stocks, the other is a function of its PPD's, as we know it has zero PAO in it. The Index being discussed supports that. So despite the fact that the AFE product has a much lower VI (172 vs 2xx), it would seem, based on the current discussion, that it is going to be the more "stable" product. And its cold temperature performance that much more reliable.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Interesting discussion. Now you got me all worried that my AFE 0w30 isn't "best" enough
grin.gif

Another one (what is currently in the Expie), PU 5w-30:

Visc @ 40C: 58.9
Visc @ 100C: 10.3
VI: 165
MRV: 9,000cP @ -35C
CCS: 4,000cP @ -30C
HTHS: 3.1
Density: 0.850

KV150: 3.332

Harman Index: 0.930

Lower than both the AFE 0w-20 (not by much though) and the EP 0w-20. Much less VII than the AFE 0w-30 though.

So for the sake of this discussion, what 30 weight outperforms AFE 0w30 cold weather specs with less VII's and a solid Harman Index? Can we calculate the -40 MRV for the PU above?

Last edited:
What is this harman index anyway.

PAO doesn't a give a significant reduction in VII over group III. This is a myth that constantly gets banded about.

Vi of PAO6 base oil is ~135 and PAO4 Is 124 vs 126 of good group III 5cSt

I am way behind this topic maybe. I don't need to do anymore reading though.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
You're lost because you are WAY behind the power curve on this topic. What's being discussed is pretty cool and most certainly is relevant for the few of us that delve this deep.

Sure beats another "What oil is best" thread. Maybe a little more reading is in order.

Originally Posted By: webfors
So for the sake of this discussion, what outperforms AFE 0w30 cold weather specs with less VII's and a solid Harman Index? Can we calculate the -40 MRV for the PU above?

We know it is above the limit for CCS and/or MRV, otherwise it would be a 0w-xx, which it isn't.

21.gif

Before we get hung up on the Harman index, what is the repeatability and reproducability of the iso 3104/ASTM 445test?

Small differences in either of the parameters involved can lead to significant changes in the index. And that's considering there's no embellishing of teh figures going on, or outright lying (like a 3.4 HTHS oil being marketed as suitable for ACEA A3 applications).

What is this harman index anyway.

PAO doesn't a give a significant reduction in VII over group III. This is a myth that constantly gets banded about.

Vi of PAO6 base oil is ~135 and PAO4 Is 124 vs 126 of good group III 5cSt

That's exactly the point. PAO with the same VI as Grp III oils, still has better performance below and above the KV test points. Basically, the range of 40 to 100°C is too narrow to show the difference.

The Harman index is a tool to determine how much VII has been used. It doesn't give any indication about PPD though, but PAO based oils don't rely on these either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back