High Performance Lubricants Euro oils...whose going to try it?

Why would you bother trying it? Just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it's better. And better than what? It's not even on MB's approved list or maybe it's under something else. It just says meets or exceeds, not that it's actually MB approved. I would just buy Mobil 1 0w40 and call it a day. Or wait til next year when they have that $10 rebate again.

Why would you bother trying it? Just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it's better. And better than what? It's not even on MB's approved list or maybe it's under something else. It just says meets or exceeds, not that it's actually MB approved. I would just buy Mobil 1 0w40 and call it a day. Or wait til next year when they have that $10 rebate again.

B/c it's fun to try new things for you car?

B/c it's fun to try new things for you car?
How is that fun if it blows up your car and you pay premium dollars for it?

My only real problem is that there's no way to tell if it's actually better. And if it were better, does it really matter? The car will usually rust out, have some other major system go like a transmission, get sold or get totaled before the engine goes due to the oil used.

How is that fun if it blows up your car and you pay premium dollars for it?

My only real problem is that there's no way to tell if it's actually better. And if it were better, does it really matter? The car will usually rust out, have some other major system go like a transmission, get sold or get totaled before the engine goes due to the oil used.
Really? They are a forum sponsor...I'm going with it will probably be ok....but...

68c7865bc41fa419e757300a04f735e7.jpg

On the is it better part, I'm curious how it would look in my car w/r to viscosity drop over a change, the PDS or the 5W40 shows a ~4 HTHS which is great.

Already running it. In the Volvo. It is better. Absolutely.

Better, higher quality additives. More esters. Balanced to protect seals.

Wayne has over 20,000 miles running HPL in his Durango with very compelling results. Take a look at the discussion in his thread.

Too small a company to get MB Approval, HPL makes remarkably good products. Most of them are formulated for specific industrial machinery or racing needs, but their engine oils are carefully produced and tested, and yeah, they are better than Mobil 1.

Already running it. In the Volvo. It is better. Absolutely.

Better, higher quality additives. More esters. Balanced to protect seals.

Wayne has over 20,000 miles running HPL in his Durango with very compelling results. Take a look at the discussion in his thread.

Too small a company to get MB Approval, HPL makes remarkably good products. Most of them are formulated for specific industrial machinery or racing needs, but their engine oils are carefully produced and tested, and yeah, they are better than Mobil 1.
I think I'll give the 5W40 a go at some point next year.

There are a few good things to mention. First there is a BITOG15 discount code which nets you 15% off. Next evidenced by the -71F pour point it is clear to see the utilization of PAO. Further when you factor in the use of Alkylated Naphthalene and ester and star polymers, you can begin to understand why we are not formulated for a discount store.

The oil will do an excellent job. It’s my job to make sure that happens.

Mobil makes a fine 0w40. We are not a good fit for everyone.

For those who share the same philosophy we’ll likely be good friends.

David

There are a few good things to mention. First there is a BITOG15 discount code which nets you 15% off. Next evidenced by the -71F pour point it is clear to see the utilization of PAO. Further when you factor in the use of Alkylated Naphthalene and ester and star polymers, you can begin to understand why we are not formulated for a discount store.

David
Thank you for the discount code.

David
One question I have for you - my Sportwagen is tuned/larger turbo/sees hard use. I've used numerous common Euro xW40 VW502 00 oils and all of them end up with a decent drop in viscosity at the end of a change cycle. Will your oil hold up better?

I had the opportunity to tour the plant. Including the lab, a couple weeks ago.

Incredibly impressive.

Somebody like @MolaKule can give you all the technical (and chemical) reasons why their stuff is better, but simply: they use better ingredients and more of them. HPL is new to the PCMO market but they’re very well respected in the racing world.

Don‘t just take my word for it, though, read what Wayne had to say.

Wayne has a brand new Chevy with the Duramax. He’s not going to take chances with that engine. Read what HPL says the difference is:

One question I have for you - my Sportwagen is tuned/larger turbo/sees hard use. I've used numerous common Euro xW40 VW502 00 oils and all of them end up with a decent drop in viscosity at the end of a change cycle. Will your oil hold up better?
This is the area where a Star will provide great shear stability. Not that the OCP we use is bad (as evidenced in WWillson’s Durango). Stars are roughly 3 times the cost of a good OCP.

David

This is the area where a Star will provide great shear stability. Not that the OCP we use is bad (as evidenced in WWillson’s Durango). Stars are roughly 3 times the cost of a good OCP.

David
Pardon my density on this - what is a "star" and a "ocp". Thanks.

Back