high mileage 2018 Impreza; buy a spare trans?

Although this CVT in the car works fine, I can assume some people would be leery buying a car with a high mileage CVT, so why not include a junkyard transmission with the car when selling. I couldn't believe how cheap they go for maybe because the supply is so high? Car-part.com has over 60 webpages of them, and many examples with under 50,000 miles are just $200. I found a 15,000 mile one nearby for $250 + $50 core which of course I'd lose. The only downside I see is you can't be 100% sure it's any good, and the junkyard warranty would be useless to the person I sell to.

You must shift out of the BITOG mindset and look at this from the perspective of your normal car buyer. A spare transmission, even if it's a great deal would be totally weird. Maybe not to one of us forum members, heck that would be a plus, but then again we can get our own for $200 as well.

The only advantage would be if you already installed a lower mileage transmission and you can call that refurbishment a plus. Too much work IMHO.

You must shift out of the BITOG mindset and look at this from the perspective of your normal car buyer. A spare transmission, even if it's a great deal would be totally weird. Maybe not to one of us forum members, heck that would be a plus, but then again we can get our own for $200 as well.

The only advantage would be if you already installed a lower mileage transmission and you can call that refurbishment a plus. Too much work IMHO.
Not even too many BITOG members. I have no want to store a spare transmission. I want a car that won't need a transmission repair/replacement.

Last edited:
If you include a transmission, it's implied the one in the car might have issues so potential buyers would just walk away. And how do they know the random transmission you're providing isn't just a boat anchor? And if the random case happens where they've got to spend thousands of dollars having a mechanic install the thing, what mechanic is going to accept some random transmission?

Having so many transmissions available on the market and for so cheap tells you that Subaru must make good CVTs. Try finding a Hyundai 2.4L in plentiful supply and for cheap.

It's the same reason you shouldn't advertise having service records-- people want a car that's been "loyal" and "not a slave to the mechanic." If someone asks, show them the receipts, if you have them, but don't volunteer them.

Offer a written warranty, it'll set you apart from the crowd of flippers.

The receipt from the junkyard showing mileage, while not foolproof, better than nothing?
Most people aren't weirdos like us. Even I'm not weird enough to want a spare transmission. What are most people going to do with it, keep it in their living room? When company comes over they ask "what's that?" "Oh that's my spare transmission. Don't you have one too?"

Most people aren't weirdos like us. Even I'm not weird enough to want a spare transmission. What are most people going to do with it, keep it in their living room? When company comes over they ask "what's that?" "Oh that's my spare transmission. Don't you have one too?"
Don't most people have a garage, basement or porch. This isn't a Cadillac. Subaru owners tend to diy more then average.

This. If you want to give something away with the car, may as well throw a flat screen in.
That way, at least when the TV is sitting in the corner collecting dust, at least they can be watching some basketball or football on it.

I wouldn’t waste the time-not worth the money. People should know at that stage that it is as is anyways…

The vast majority of the car buying public has no idea what a CVT is, nor do they care. They want to buy the car and want it to drive down the road. Including a 2nd transmission, as mentioned by others, is odd at best and likely to drive away buyers.

Don’t out think yourself on this.

Back