He's Dead Jim! Engine Warranty Denied! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
OP- did you search problems with the 3.0 VM diesel? I did a few years back when I was toying with buying a GC with the 3.0 diesel. After reading up on the engine I ditched the idea. There was quite a bit of info regarding problems with that engine. I would read up on it and arm myself if you don't get the warranty honored.

After about 3 seconds of searching again this comment stood out: Ecodiesel 3.0L V6: Known bottom crank bearing issues, known fuel delivery issues (Fiat Multijet), known DPF issues, known oiling issues.... if bored google "Ecodiesel issues"...
There is a ton of complaints and problems scattered on the web regarding the engine.......I'm sure there are plenty of good ones too,[and I'll probably get flamed soon] but I think there's enough info to mount a pretty good case against them!

If I'm not mistaken, the Sprinter engine is not the same as the one you are referring to. Sprinter engine is a 5 cylinder Mercedes-Benz design.

Originally Posted By: cronk
OP- did you search problems with the 3.0 VM diesel? I did a few years back when I was toying with buying a GC with the 3.0 diesel. After reading up on the engine I ditched the idea. There was quite a bit of info regarding problems with that engine. I would read up on it and arm myself if you don't get the warranty honored.

After about 3 seconds of searching again this comment stood out: Ecodiesel 3.0L V6: Known bottom crank bearing issues, known fuel delivery issues (Fiat Multijet), known DPF issues, known oiling issues.... if bored google "Ecodiesel issues"...
There is a ton of complaints and problems scattered on the web regarding the engine.......I'm sure there are plenty of good ones too,[and I'll probably get flamed soon] but I think there's enough info to mount a pretty good case against them!

If I'm not mistaken, the Sprinter engine is not the same as the one you are referring to. Sprinter engine is a 5 cylinder Mercedes-Benz design.

You are correct, it's a different engine. I realized that when it was too late to edit. I would still pull any info I could find on the Sprinter Diesel, it might be helpful.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Also, that doesnt look "collapsed", it looks slightly compressed from being installed into the canister, just like most canister filters pictures I have seen on BITOG.

^^^This!^^^
I too have seen some of the members here post pics with their cartridge filters looking the same way. But, did their engines fail due to a somewhat slightly compressed/collapsed/smashed/pushed down (?????) filter like this? I haven't heard/read it here on the forums, until now. I just don't see it causing the engine to throw a rod. Usually, when an engine throws a rod it's due to oil starvation/bearing score/hydra lock, etc.
Did the dealer bring in a professional (I don't even know what to call such a person) to analyze this? IMHO, I would hire an attorney.

Was this engine manufactured by VM? While it may not be the same engine with mass failures, there may be some shared critical components like the bearings. The stories of the one engine are astounding with main bearing failures in the 20k mile range.

I hope all goes well for the OP, as it should.

OP- did you search problems with the 3.0 VM diesel?

The OP has a Mercedes diesel, not a VM. The only thing in common is that they are both 3.0L V6.

Ed

P.S. My VM runs like a Swiss watch.

Originally Posted By: porschepilot
Hello everyone. I have a 2013 Sprinter Van with a 3.0 Diesel. It has 26k miles and the engine threw a rods and made hole in the block.

Dealer blamed this collapsed aftermarket filter to it's not covered under warranty.

Does this look like it could have caused this to happen?

What do I do?

You still with us porschepilot?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hello everyone. I have a 2013 Sprinter Van with a 3.0 Diesel. It has 26k miles and the engine threw a rods and made hole in the block.

Dealer blamed this collapsed aftermarket filter to it's not covered under warranty.

What do I do?

You still with us porschepilot?

Lol I'm here. Just saw the overwhelming responce which I did not expect but appreciate very much. It is very encouraging! Thank you all! I'll come back soon so I can reply to some of the questions.

Regards,
George

Originally Posted By: edhackett
OP- did you search problems with the 3.0 VM diesel?

The OP has a Mercedes diesel, not a VM. The only thing in common is that they are both 3.0L V6.

Ed

P.S. My VM runs like a Swiss watch.

Yes I realize that, I stated above it was too late to edit. I also stated there were plenty of good ones, and I'd probably get flamed.
wink.gif
My research lead me down another path.

Back OT- I hope the OP gets this resolved under warranty. I would also do some searching about problems with the engine in question here, it might be of benefit.

Last edited:
That filter filter looks like just about every other cartridge filter I’ve taken out of various cars and trucks at my part time job at a local lube shop. To see one not with the waves in it is more rare than seeing them like the posted pic. It’s just from the cap being tightened down as the end caps seal. The o-rings on the stem and filter cap both look intact too.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Bailed Dodge out again and this is how they treat people?No wonder people buy non union cars. Raise heck about it, show the moss magnesun act and get them or someone to fix it

Mercedes makes the Sprinter, not Dodge. But please, don't let facts get in the way of a good brand-bash
smirk.gif

No warning lights came on. Just boom! I'm going to call MBZ and have a Lawyer on stand by.

No sorry that was the only one they sent. I will take more Monday when I see the Van and the Service person.

Thanks for letting me know. I will have to mention this to them. Yes my Lawyer is going to look over the warranty booklet. He did say mostly likely will have an arbitration clause.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

As others have said ... no, a filter having wavy pleats is not going to cause any engine to blow-up. If some of the media tore off and went inside the engine to cause an oil flow problem, then it's possible it was the filter's fault. Was there any missing media from the filter?

From the pic I don't see that happened but once I get to it my self on Monday, ill be taking more pics.

Originally Posted By: Trav
That filter waviness didn't cause the engine to fail, was the O ring intact? How long was that filter in use?

It appears in tact and not sure how many miles it has. I'll have to look.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
I have that engine. Filter looks ok but is not pushed all the way into the housing. That would give you un filtered oil for how many miles?? It looks like a Fram, made in Austria. Who changed the filter? Bad installation.

It says made in Poland they said. I don't know the brand yet?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I hope you still have that filter?

Escalate this to Corporate Support.

I don't it's with the dealer I would assume until I go back tomorrow.

This is a perfect example of how a dealer can jerk around a car owner. Did the dealer prove the filter caused the problem? No, he said it did and then refused to do the work under the warranty. Will it get done? Probably after a fight no doubt, and from the way these things usually go, it will be the vehicle owner proving the filter didn't cause the problem, while the van sits unusable. Another option is to spend a lot of money hiring a lawyer to make the dealer prove the filter was bad. The dealer is in the position of power, not the car owner. FTR I seriously doubt the filter was the cause, as do others, will that help? Time will tell. Good luck!

I'd try another dealership and see how that goes.

they are charging $388 so far so I'll have to pay again with another dealer as well LOL. Thanks! Let see how it goes. I was going to also contact the https://www.bar.ca.gov/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back