He's Dead Jim! Engine Warranty Denied! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like someone overtightened the filter, (to cause the wavy pleats) that wouldnt cause engine failure usually.

I'd escalate to above dealer and be prepared to lawyer up.

It's my opinion the filter twisted like that upon removal. It probably stuck in place a bit and twisted that direction as the cap was unscrewed. I've seen that happen many times.

Last edited:
Someone already said it, but get the filter manufacturer involved. They sure as heck don't want their filter blamed for an engine failure, especially when it sure doesn't look like the cause. Also good advice to get corporate above the dealer involved. THEN, if no satisfaction, get a lawyer.

Bailed Dodge out again and this is how they treat people?No wonder people buy non union cars. Raise heck about it, show the moss magnesun act and get them or someone to fix it

You've already received a lot of common sense replies; I would add to that to have all communication to and from the dealer in writing; by email which is retrievable, if they haven't already, ask them to deny this warranty coverage in writing, get the filter manufacturer involved and have an attorney inform them of the Magnuson-Moss act. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

My two cents is that you're dealing with a dishonest dealer and their position will not hold up under scrutiny, if you're NOT IN a real large metropolitan area, contact local news and publicize their position, it may change quickly when held up to the light of public opinion. Good Luck.

This is a perfect example of how a dealer can jerk around a car owner. Did the dealer prove the filter caused the problem? No, he said it did and then refused to do the work under the warranty. Will it get done? Probably after a fight no doubt, and from the way these things usually go, it will be the vehicle owner proving the filter didn't cause the problem, while the van sits unusable. Another option is to spend a lot of money hiring a lawyer to make the dealer prove the filter was bad. The dealer is in the position of power, not the car owner. FTR I seriously doubt the filter was the cause, as do others, will that help? Time will tell. Good luck!

I'd try another dealership and see how that goes.

The dealer does not determine warranty support. The factory does. Contact corporate outlined in your owners manual. I would be more inclined to believe the general manager at the dealership wants the shop rate for repairs or wants to sucker you in claming the dealer can deny warranty coverage in buying you new care.

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
that dude needs to cut his nails

I'm not so sure about that but after the shift he certainly needs to change the oil under them.

I had a Mobil1 filter do the same thing with my Equinox. Sent an email to Mobil1 tech support and this was the response.

Bob

The M1C-151A oil filter snaps into the cap and as the cap is tightened down the filter becomes tight and the twisting motion often causes the filter to have bent or twisted media. This effect although not desirable will not affect the performance of the filter. I have seen this effect on many different brands of filters including the AC Delco PF2257G OEM filter.

Technical Hotline Team

Phone: 800-882-8090

Mercedes dealerships have a lot of experience screwing people. You'd think that getting screwed as bad as they're trying to do with you would get you flowers and dinner first.

First, I'd be curious to see what dealership denied it (Benz, FCA)

Second, last time I saw a van like that denied, the dude made out very, very nicely against the dealership.

Just that photo and some denial paperwork is going to eat them alive.....

Yep, Mercedes will cover this.

Surprised the dealer tried to deny it.

Are Mercedes dealerships as bad as VW dealerships about stuff like this?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Yep, Mercedes will cover this.

Surprised the dealer tried to deny it.

Are Mercedes dealerships as bad as VW dealerships about stuff like this?

Those poor Stealerships I guess there just enough profit in one of those things to back problems like this!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Time to call the Mercedes corporate line and then a lawyer.

+1

The filter is wavy. So what? Oil will still flow through it.

That filter looks overtightened. Whether or not that filter contributed to the failure is debatable. I don't think the filter mfg will help you here since it is an installation issue, but they may.

Usually large powertrain repairs are not at the dealership discretion. Most likely, the tech had to open a case with the Technical Hotline and submit photos of what he/she found. In this case, the MB Technical Hot Line most likely made the decision to deny warranty coverage.

Originally Posted By: porschepilot
....What do I do?....

IMO, I don't see enough evidence to prove you did anything "wrong". It can be speculated that the cap was overtightened, but having seen many similar looking post use cartridge anecdotes with proper installation, I don't believe that to be the case. Possible I suppose but doubtful imo.

Also looking at the cartridge I don't believe it to be the cause of the thrown rods. Aftermarket filter(s) an easy target for the dealer in an attempt to deny warranty. If it was honestly the case, manufacturer filter warranty should/would cover it, but it would have to be proven.

Hopefully, MB will work with you to resolve this in a manner satisfactory to you. Good Luck.

OP- did you search problems with the 3.0 VM diesel? I did a few years back when I was toying with buying a GC with the 3.0 diesel. After reading up on the engine I ditched the idea. There was quite a bit of info regarding problems with that engine. I would read up on it and arm myself if you don't get the warranty honored.

After about 3 seconds of searching again this comment stood out: Ecodiesel 3.0L V6: Known bottom crank bearing issues, known fuel delivery issues (Fiat Multijet), known DPF issues, known oiling issues.... if bored google "Ecodiesel issues"...
There is a ton of complaints and problems scattered on the web regarding the engine.......I'm sure there are plenty of good ones too,[and I'll probably get flamed soon] but I think there's enough info to mount a pretty good case against them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back