Here's what happens to some used oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Artem

The government / cities should be in charge of this operation. It's in their interest to recycle and keep the city cleaner.

It's also in THEIR INTEREST to keep their landfills from filling up too fast....

It's in OUR interests, too. When it comes time to build a new landfill you can be sure it will be more expensive and farther away from town than the existing one. That translates into higher waste disposal fees for you and me.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I have a 5 gallon bucket of cut open filters that needs a home at some point.

Local auto parts store will take them...AZ, Advance, O'Reilly's in my area all accept filters.

I can almost guarantee that most who tear their old oil filters apart are not disposing of them correctly. This includes those who post pics of them here on BITOG.

...just sayin'

From the article:

"So the next time you tear the oil filter off you 1975 Mercury Cougar and throw it in the woods, think about recycling it instead."

WHO ACTUALLY DOES THAT? Hyperbole much? Throw it in the woods? Are you kidding me?

And yes, they should be recycled, absolutely.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I can almost guarantee that most who tear their old oil filters apart are not disposing of them correctly. This includes those who post pics of them here on BITOG.

...just sayin'

You’re entitled to your OPINION. I use mine to start a wood fire in my wood burner somedays. I cut and post filters for educational purposes and to learn

Just sayin.....

Who else tears oil filters apart?

How So? Every Wal-Mart, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA that I know of disposes of oil filters--cut apart or otherwise. Little reason to do anything else.

Originally Posted By: car51

...just sayin'

You’re entitled to your OPINION. I use mine to start a wood fire in my wood burner somedays. I cut and post filters for educational purposes and to learn

Just sayin.....
That's a good idea, I'm going to try that! Otherwise they drain for an extended period & go in the scrap pile.

I throw mine in the trash along with the used motor oil. I double bag the oil and place shredded paper in to absorb the oil then tie it up. The city sells oil absorbent boxes which are the same - shredded paper and instructs us to throw it in the trash where it goes to the incinerator to generate electricity. The filters are grabbed with huge magnets and recycled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back