Hemi V8 to be Replaced by the Turbocharged T6?

If they're really going all-in on electrification, is it really worth developing a new engine? :unsure:

They can probably use the NA I6 to replace the Pentastar and turbos to replace the Hemi V8. Perhaps they can even make an I4 by cutting off the last two cylinders.

But by now they should've been able to get the V8 to meet emissions and other requirements, and a V8 takes up less space than an I6 which will be 50% longer than a V8

And the important question: will it be slanted 30 degrees and idle at 75 rpm? :D

If they're really going all-in on electrification, is it really worth developing a new engine? :unsure:
The answer is in the name: Global Medium Engine. This looks positioned to be a global engine, which they will continually produce even when most major markets get an electric-only lineup. The fact of the matter is that there are less developed parts of the world that will be many decades away from having the infrastructure to support a shift towards EV.

Well it was never a true Hemi Head like the 426 Hemi....

Most street HEMI's had quench areas (rendering them not truly hemispherical) because a true hemispherical chamber had horrible low speed driveability and emissions performance. At low engine speeds, there wasn't enough velocity in the intake charge to create the swirl necessary for the hemispherical chamber to shine, so you got poor atomization and combustion.

Ford found this out with the 427 SOHC and the street version of the BOSS 429 had quench areas on either side of the chamber to mitigate it (the track version didn't).

This is also the reason for the dual ignition, as even with the quench areas, the big bore and mostly hemispherical chamber is a dirtier combo than a pent roof or wedge.

I posted some more detail and pictures in this post:

Last edited:
Most street HEMI's had quench areas (rendering them not truly hemispherical) because a true hemispherical chamber had horrible low speed driveability and emissions performance. At low engine speeds, there wasn't enough velocity in the intake charge to create the swirl necessary for the hemispherical chamber to shine, so you got poor atomization and combustion.

Ford found this out with the 427 SOHC and the street version of the BOSS 429 had quench areas on either side of the chamber to mitigate it (the track version didn't).

This is also the reason for the dual ignition, as even with the quench areas, the big bore and mostly hemispherical chamber is a dirtier combo than a pent roof or wedge.
The 426 Hemis that I saw with the heads off were true hemies...I think the word they use for the new hemi is a pent head same as the 429 boss..

The 426 Hemis that I saw with the heads off were true hemies...I think the word they use for the new hemi is a pent head same as the 429 boss..
This is a pentroof… the hemi is getting close to it but not quite.

1481EE0B-F8FE-48D3-B358-0EA04A1938B6.jpeg
91567A53-E8DE-49BF-A508-248A08544E2F.jpeg

I can laugh and make fun, but I love my 5.7l V8, it's a very simple engine that makes good power and doesn't mind being worked. Time marches on and so does progress, but I'll do my best to always have a N/A MOPAR V8 sitting in my driveway. If it comes down to rebuilding it down the road if parts are available, that's what I'll do,....or maybe a 6.4 swap, a heart transplant if you will. That would be interesting:unsure:
Anyway, this doesn't mean that I am against moving forward with technology and progress though, I look forward to it. The next 10 years will be very interesting and fun for people willing to learn about new technologies. This T6 sounds very interesting and I can't wait to see what comes of it. Hell, even EV's are interesting to me, as long as we realize the need for infrastructure to support it before forcing it. Baby steps.
All good things must come to an end. (Only to move on to the next good thing) ;) 🍻

What are they going to do with all the spare cams and rollers ?
They probably will have a lot leftover because contrary to popular belief, not every other Hemi driving down the road have these problems. Show me some real-world data (Hemi's sold and on the road vs. Hemi's that had cam/lifter failure) and I'll take that comment seriously. Cheers. 🍻

They been going away since I been a kid. The really cool ones did, but you can still make one if you want.

Thats been happening at roughly the same speed and the metric system arrival along with the killer bees and fire ants from south America.

There's plenty of these around to enjoy for a long time.

Back