Help Me Choose Between These 4 Filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to burning oil, at the last 2 changes it was down a half-quart. Doesn't seem too bad. I do check the oil level every 2 or 3 gas stops.

As for the air filter, checked it soon as I got the car, it was nice and clean. Previous owner must of just had it done. Been about 10,000 mi since then. I'll check again this next change, cabin filter too.

I've checked for WIX dealers near me, there aren't many. But there's lots of NAPA's around.

I'll have to take a look on here about Honda filters. I know Nissan filters are notoriously bad, so I'm skeptical. I haven't check pricing but I'm sure the OEM filter is right up there with the ones I've listed so far.

Last edited:
Out of that short list, Fram ultra easily surpasses them all by far! Nothing comes close. The Fram Ultras I buy off ebay are much cheaper than $15.00. Shop around! You can get it for half what you are seeing. I got my Fram Ultras for like $6.00.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: derass
I left out the Tough Guard filter because I believe it still has fiber end-caps. Is this correct? It is my understanding that fiber end-caps can allow the filter to collapse. Metal end-caps seem like an obvious improvement. Does this not concern those who are using them?

The Tough Guard does have fiber end caps. People go back and forth about whether or not this is a bad thing. The filter shouldn't be able to collapse because it is supported by the central tube. Some OEMs use fiber end caps or NO end caps in their canister filter and almost all do in their cartridge filters (afaik). Fram says the fiber end caps actually bond better to the media and reduce the chance of the media tearing.

I like them because they have a silicone adb valve, 99% efficiency (better than the ultra), are rated to 10k miles and are cheap at my local Walmart.

for 5k, even the cheapest filter will do.

The extended filters aren't worth it unless you actually exceed 10k.

In your case, I'd use a Napa Gold every OCI

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The M1 filters are excellent, flow well, and are quite robust. In fact, with Honda and Toyota cars, it's perfectly acceptable to change the filter every other, or every third oil change. Cut one apart after 3 oil changes and you'll agree. As you will find nothing in the element, and no restriction in flow.

ayt6hg.jpg

Been using Gold for a long time, until Platinum came out. They're favoring Synthetic oils. I've had no issues with them, and they seem premium quality.

Platinums were half-off, just the other day. Picked up two of them

In case anyone was wondering, I went with the Fram Ultra. They went on sale locally so I grabbed a few. They were cheaper ($9 USD) than Napa Gold ($11 USD), so I figured why not, even if I'm not using them to their full mileage. I might even consider using them for 2 OCI's, not sure yet. Thanks everyone for the input!

Originally Posted By: derass
In case anyone was wondering, I went with the Fram Ultra. They went on sale locally so I grabbed a few. They were cheaper ($9 USD) than Napa Gold ($11 USD), so I figured why not, even if I'm not using them to their full mileage. I might even consider using them for 2 OCI's, not sure yet. Thanks everyone for the input!

Logic prevails once again.

Quote:
Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 is a great combination that would be my choice..

Surprised to see cod recommending an M1 filter which uses a louvered center tube.
wink.gif
It is a quality filter nonetheless.

As for topic, filter prices seem on the high side relative to here. I wouldn't buy the Napa Gold at listed price either, but at
All things considered including filter price, I think you made a good choice.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
At those prices if it were me I would get the dealer filter if it is less cost. And forget about the rest of it. Can't go wrong with the Honda engineered oil filter from the dealer.

+1 the A02 hondas are fram toughgaurds (with more flow/less filtering efficiency), the A01 hondas are filtech and well made filters with excellent flow, and who knows what kind of efficiency... honda and toyota seem to favor flow over filtering efficiency in the their oil filters, so if you're going to go with the synthetic variety might as well go with the Wix XP since it's cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Any of them will work fine save for the NAPA Platinum (aka Wix XP) which has poor efficiency. The NAPA Gold (standard Wix) would be fine for what you're doing as would the aforementioned Fram Tough Guard. Both can do your mileage and be 99% efficient in the process and be relatively inexpensive to boot.

There seems to be some misunderstanding on the Wix XP filters. I just looked up the Beta ratio online for my 51372xp and it shows a b2=20.
This means that for a beta particle sized at 2 microns, it will have an initial efficiency of 95%. The standard 51372 has efficiencies of
2/20 = 12/25, which means 2micron filtering at 91.6%, and 20 micron at 96%. Hope this helps. Of course the efficiency of the filter changes over time, and so will the numbers as the filter becomes more plugged.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NWCoaster
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Any of them will work fine save for the NAPA Platinum (aka Wix XP) which has poor efficiency. The NAPA Gold (standard Wix) would be fine for what you're doing as would the aforementioned Fram Tough Guard. Both can do your mileage and be 99% efficient in the process and be relatively inexpensive to boot.

There seems to be some misunderstanding on the Wix XP filters. I just looked up the Beta ratio online for my 51372xp and it shows a b2=20.
This means that for a beta particle sized at 2 microns, it will have an initial efficiency of 95%. The standard 51372 has efficiencies of
2/20 = 12/25, which means 2micron filtering at 91.6%, and 20 micron at 96%. Hope this helps. Of course the efficiency of the filter changes over time, and so will the numbers as the filter becomes more plugged.
No-that's wrong-the B2/20 from Wix means 50% at 20 microns. I'm not sure it's possible to get 95% at 2 microns outside a laboratory filter, the best I've ever heard is approx. 50% at 5 microns from an Ultra. I'm not saying "don't run the Wix", but if it's an XP it may take a while to get Ultra/RP/Stratapore levels of oil cleanliness from it.

^^^ Yup ... when WIX says beta B2=20 it means 50% efficiency (Beta 2) at 20 microns.

You can call the WIX to hear it first hand from WIX if you'd like.

http://www.wixfilters.com/ContactUS.aspx

Product Information:
USA: 1-800-949-6698
CANADA: 1-800-567-3703
MEXICO: 1-800-838-4204

Again call Wix. They will tell you, as they have told numerous other BITOG'ers that the XP is rated a dismal 50% at 20 microns.

Hey but it lasts a long time!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: NWCoaster

Negative: https://blog.exair.com/2010/09/20/understanding-oil-filter-beta-ratios/

http://machinerylubrication.com/Read/564/filter-beta-ratios This is a little more descriptive about the beta curves over time.
Sampling and interpreting oil samples on large industrial sealing, bearing and hydraulic systems is part of my everyday job .
smile.gif

WIX does NOT follow that standard when representing Beta Ratio. Call them if you don't believe it. This has been discussed for years in this forum.

If you follow the mathematical formula for calculating Beta ratios, the Beta particle size is always expressed to the left of the equals sign, I don't want to argue, that's just how it is. Plug the numbers into the formula, there really is no wiggle room to debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back