Heat Wave in Texas

Summer is here. I couldn’t help notice Texas and surrounding States will be entering a heat wave later this week. Houston will hit 100 F, Dallas 99 F. Stay cool. :cool:

24C4DDD6-0EB6-4140-8FBE-645A496FCB78.jpeg

We've been in the low 90's all week. Tons of sun zero rain for quite a while. Pretty warm week for us this time of year.

Not to push semantics here, but the heat wave has been there for a few days. Central Texas had many records broken a couple days ago, including an all time record of 114F in San Angelo.

When my daughter first arrived at Arizona State University(ASU), we moved her into her dorm in August when it was 118 in-your-face degrees F. And the temps rose to ~120 F that afternoon. I mean, at those temperatures you can't touch anything. Not the door handles on vehicles or sitting around the hotel pool(under the umbrella), even the chairs/loungers at pool side were too hot to touch.

I took a swim in the hotel pool. When getting out of the deep end of the pool, grabbing the stainless steel latter bars were even too hot to touch. So I swam over to the shallow end and walked up the steps to our umbrella table. Even at 10 pm while walking around the ASU campus, the outside temps were still ~100 F and the heat just rose up off of the sidewalks and the paved streets & parking lots.

:eek: As comedian John Pinette(RIP) said when doing a stand-up gig in Phoenix, the outside was the temperature of the sun.

Can barely get out of the 60's here in MA. Strange summer so far here...it's 53F right now.

It's not the heat but the humidity. Luckily it's been pretty mild in the DC area this summer and never got out of the 60's yesterday. Never been that cool here in June before.
I had a meeting a few years ago in San Antonio in May - with the humidity it was the hottest and most uncomfortable I've ever been outside. It made Florida in August feel comfortable. The convention center was about 100 yards from the hotel and by the time I reached the convention center I was dripping. What I couldn't figure out was there were quite a few natives dressed in jeans and long sleeves waiting for the bus in full sun and they looked fine. Maybe it's my Northern European roots but that place is not an option for me.

I've lived in Dallas since 1995, and I don't recall a year with humidity this bad. The temps are livable, albeit a little early, but the thickness of the air is what makes it unbearable. This is what Houston and Corpus Christi feel like for most of the summer. Just don't understand why it's hanging over Dallas.

I've lived in Dallas since 1995, and I don't recall a year with humidity this bad. The temps are livable, albeit a little early, but the thickness of the air is what makes it unbearable. This is what Houston and Corpus Christi feel like for most of the summer. Just don't understand why it's hanging over Dallas.
I think it's because its been raining hard almost every day so the wetness stays around creating the humidity. It's been in the 90's..then about 4-5pm torrential rains then repeat every day the last week here in DFW.

I had a meeting a few years ago in San Antonio in May - with the humidity it was the hottest and most uncomfortable I've ever been outside. It made Florida in August feel comfortable. The convention center was about 100 yards from the hotel and by the time I reached the convention center I was dripping. What I couldn't figure out was there were quite a few natives dressed in jeans and long sleeves waiting for the bus in full sun and they looked fine. Maybe it's my Northern European roots but that place is not an option for me.
Lots of us have switched to the long sleeve and vented fishing shirts from Academy … gonna sweat either way -
May as well prevent some skin cancer 🤕

I would keep a window unit in a box in case the central AC konked out if I lived down there.
No need to keep it in a box. I have three window units to supplement my central a/c. Earlier in the week, when it was 107 degrees and two window units were running, my thermostat still read 75 instead of the 72 it’s set at. My house is an 1800 sf ranch home with a metal roof. Central a/c is a 3.5 ton from 2014. Location: about 15 miles west of Austin.

Back