Heart muscle

Most people don't know that there is a link between good dental health and heart health.

It's why I'm surprised at how timid we are about covid, partially. It's small potatoes.

It's a more painful death.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
It doesn't help when a person can't goto the gym either.

True but we haven't been on lockdown for the last 30 + years.
I ready to get back to the gym for sure but just a block from my house there is a 12% grade hill .5 of a mile long. Going down hill is a piece of cake but trust my you can feel it coming back if you don't dog it.

I love walking up steep hills for cardiac exercise now that I can't do my regular 'stairmaster' routine but
I started to get pain in my left knee from coming back downhill. (I walk 3 to 5 miles 3 or 4 times a week).
I discovered that the meniscus that I tore at work about 15 years ago is aggravated by walking downhill
.....so I've been keeping more to flat ground lately and the pain has gone away.....also, the curvature
of the roads had caused me to 'pronate' which caused a bad case of 'plantar faciatis' in my left foot
(arch collapse too)...this is why I had started the 'stairmaster'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Positive displacement pump ...
thumbsup2.gif

Don't let it hit "pressure relief".

The heart valves are controlled by electricity, without a wire or battery in sight and the pump is self contained.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Farnsworth
thumbsup2.gif

The heart valves are controlled by electricity, without a wire or battery in sight and the pump is self contained. All that created from a rock circling the sun, but of course that topic is not allowed. Even though it is science.

The heart valves operate solely by pressure. The muscle innervation is bio electric. The valves open by the fluid pressure rise in the chamber as the ventricle contracts from muscle cells depolarizing. The aortic and pulmonic valves close as the pressure in the rv and lv chambers falls off from systole ending. The tricuspid and mitral valves close as the atrial pressure falls. There are papillary muscles and chordae tendineae to limit the travel of the valve leaflets, like rubber bands.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting problem:

Determine the amount of Work W and Average Power P of the Human heart muscle in 1 day.

H = 1.7 meters, height of male; L = 7000 liters (volume of blood pumped in 1 Day).

Determine:

W = mXgXh of course in Joules; g = 9.8; rho = blood density = 1.05 kg/m3;

Average Power in Watts = W/(time in seconds)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
thumbsup2.gif

The heart valves are controlled by electricity, without a wire or battery in sight and the pump is self contained. All that created from a rock circling the sun, but of course that topic is not allowed. Even though it is science.

The heart valves operate solely by pressure. The muscle innervation is bio electric. The valves open by the fluid pressure rise in the chamber as the ventricle contracts from muscle cells depolarizing. The aortic and pulmonic valves close as the pressure in the rv and lv chambers falls off from systole ending. The tricuspid and mitral valves close as the atrial pressure falls. There are papillary muscles and chordae tendineae to limit the travel of the valve leaflets, like rubber bands.

Are you an MD? You say muscle innervation is bio electric. Valve is pressure controlled. OK, I didn't have to put valve, just leave it at heart. Bio or not, it is still electricity. controlling the heart.The reason my heart pumps low is due to the electrical controls. A pacemaker would be the next step, but the doctor is slowing my heart rate down with some low dosages of medicines and it seems to be getting better It was down to 40%. Everything is in great shape, including heart rate and cholesterol, just the electrical controls are not in perfect sync.
That's how I learned the heart muscle is not benefited by exercise directly, but about how cujet aptly explained it.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
... rho = blood density = 1.05 kg/m3; ...
Huh? Maybe 1.05 kg/liter.

Also, I doubt the pressure the heart works against equals the pressure head corresponding directly to the person's height.

A pacemaker would be the next step, but the doctor is slowing my heart rate down with some low dosages of medicines and it seems to be getting better It was down to 40%.

An AV pacemaker innervates the atria and if no conduction occurs to the ventricle the rv is also innervated.Then the impulses cross the septum and innervate the left ventricle( By then the rv has already contracted). The EKG of an rv paced rhythm will look like a wide bundle branch block. Due to no impulses traveling naturally down the Right bundle branch.

If the ejection fraction is lower than normal, LBB can be a problem as the septum ( between the chambers) bulges back toward the Right ventricle. When that happens there is less forward output of blood and less cardiac output.

A Bi ventricular pacemaker, has a lead in the RV and a lead positioned in the coronary sinus of the left ventricle( a vein going around the LV) . That way both chambers of the heart are innervated at the same time, the septum between them does not bulge as much as both ventricles contract together and the forward cardiac output is improved.

Research Bi-ventricular pacemakers. They are usually indicated with Ejection Fractions of less than 30%-35%( 55%-70% is normal) with symptoms of heart failure.

Last edited:
I'm gonna cheat ...
grin2.gif

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/IradaMuslumova.shtml

"The average heart beats about 75 times per minute, which is about five liters of blood per minute. Although this isn't much, it enables the heart to complete a tremendous amount of work in a person's lifetime. The human heart beats about 40 million times a year, which adds up to more than 2.5 billion times in a 70-year lifetime. This results in approximately 2 to 3 billion joules of work in a lifetime, which is a huge amount."

Average of 2.5 billion joules divided by (70 years life time x 365 days) = 97,847 Joules = 27.18 Watt-hour ... so 27.18 x 24 hrs = 652 Watts in a day.

... Average of 2.5 billion joules divided by (70 years life time x 365 days) = 97,847 Joules = 27.18 Watt-hour ... so 27.18 x 24 hrs = 652 Watts in a day.
Try again!

2,500,000,000 joules/(70years × 365day/year × 24hours/day ×3600second/hour) = 1.13 joule/second = 1.13 watts

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
... Average of 2.5 billion joules divided by (70 years life time x 365 days) = 97,847 Joules = 27.18 Watt-hour ... so 27.18 x 24 hrs = 652 Watts in a day.

Try again!

2,500,000,000 joules/(70years × 365day/year × 24hours/day ×3600second/hour) = 1.13 joule/second = 1.13 watts

He said: "Determine the amount of Work W and Average Power P of the Human heart muscle in 1 day."

You calculated 1.13 Joules/sec (Watts), which would be 1.13 Watts x 3600 sec/day = 4,068 Watts in 1 day. I don't believe that answer.

My calculation was 97,847 Joules in 24 hours = 27.18 Watts in a day. My error was I multiplied by 24 twice.

Your calculation was wrong too.
grin2.gif

^^^ I must be coming down with CV19 ... an average continuous output of 1.13 watts is correct. That equates to 27.18 W-hr in a day. Was getting it bass ackwards, lol.

For the heck of it I googled "oil pump flow rate" and found a BITOG link.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1656739
They surmised about 8 GPM, which is around 32 L per minute (might as well round) (with a larger variance between designs and an rpm dependency). So if the heart is running around 5 L per minute and your car at 32... actually I'm not sure there's any comparison to be made, if any issue occurs in either pump suddenly the car engine seems a very trivial repair.

So if the heart moves 5L per minute at 75 bpm, does it move 10L at 150 bpm? I used to wear a heart rate monitor while cycling, and on a 2-3 hour ride it would average 150 bpm for the entire 2-3 hours. With 180+ on any hill (due to my fat carcass). I should dig it out and see if it still works, supposedly max HR goes down with age, although I've done myself no good over the last few years.

Originally Posted by supton
For the heck of it I googled "oil pump flow rate" and found a BITOG link.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1656739
They surmised about 8 GPM, which is around 32 L per minute (might as well round) (with a larger variance between designs and an rpm dependency). So if the heart is running around 5 L per minute and your car at 32... actually I'm not sure there's any comparison to be made, if any issue occurs in either pump suddenly the car engine seems a very trivial repair.

So if the heart moves 5L per minute at 75 bpm, does it move 10L at 150 bpm? I used to wear a heart rate monitor while cycling, and on a 2-3 hour ride it would average 150 bpm for the entire 2-3 hours. With 180+ on any hill (due to my fat carcass). I should dig it out and see if it still works, supposedly max HR goes down with age, although I've done myself no good over the last few years.

As rate increases, efficiency decreases. Especially once you lose the atrial kick.

Originally Posted by Ws6

As rate increases, efficiency decreases. Especially once you lose the atrial kick.

That, and as heart rate goes up, the diastolic filling period is what gets shortened. Less filling time is less volume in the chamber= less output.

This just seems obvious. Pumping is not linear to heart rate. That's how I figured it, but I don't have any data to point to how much efficiency is lost as heart rate rises.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by Ws6

That, and as heart rate goes up, the diastolic filling period is what gets shortened. Less filling time is less volume in the chamber= less output.

Back