Heading out for Black Friday shopping?

Daughter needs some new ballet shoes so the wife and kid are going to head out. Maybe do some shopping on the way home. I don’t think my wife has plans for shopping beyond that, too easy to just have it delivered. :)

Although we were just talking about it this morning, how hard/annoying it is to just flip through Amazon/Ebay. In some ways it’d be nice to walk through a store, to just get ideas. No reason to do that on Black Friday though.

Anxiously waiting for my Wife to get ready- she wants to go to a TJ Maxx in Pallyup.

With limited goods availability, consumers flush with cash (despite what others observe), stores are not so motivated to offer big black Friday deals. When it comes to many retail products, it is a Sellers' market. I haven't seen a major new product, or a new retail store, open up in over two years.

For the life of me I am trying to find something to buy. This maybe the first year that I cant find anything, I guess a good problem to have.
My only regret was missing out on Bose Quiet Comfort 45 headphones, funny the ideal expired at Costco on Thanksgiving. I actually had them in my hands the day before at $189. but didnt buy them because I really wasnt considering them but the price and noise cancelling was awesome, though didnt want to make an impulse purchase, kind of wish I did now, I think.

Today Black Friday they are on sale everywhere for $60 more at $249.00 :(

When I was a boy it was a holiday season treat to go downtown on Michigan Avenue or State Street and be with the shoppers at Marshall Fields, Weibolts and the rest of the big department stores. The store windows were full of marvelous displays. I imagine I was just like Ralphie in 'The Christmas Story'.

Today it makes me melancholy to do that because there is no happines on the faces of the shoppers. They seem to be caught in the annual de rigueur exercise of joylessly buying things nobody needs with money they don't have.

Nope, no Black Friday for me.

Last edited:
Hate Black Friday! Wife and I have finished our shopping weeks ago and now just watch the days (and other shoppers) go by. I am almost 75 and have turned into a real curmudgeon where Christmas is concerned. I hate putting up and taking down decorations that nobody seems to give hoot about. I still do it only for the grandchildren. Left to my own devices, I would lock the doors and drink coffee during the month of December.

I’m working today. My sister-in-law and wife are at the Easton mall in Columbus.
So it's safe to say they probably enjoy "the experience". Unless I'm mistaken all deals are online and the "in-store only" deals have gone the way of dinosaurs.

Sitting in my (temporary) chair at TJ Maxx. Got the first first parking spot, which I would not have taken except nobody can door ding in the the spot. The store is awful quite, as the picture shows.
PXL_20221125_172304049.jpg

I wouldn't go near any of the stores on black Friday or the next few days after Christmas with all the returns that no doubt be happening

I have not physically gone out to participate in Black Friday in over 10 years. First, I don't buy things I don't need just because they're a deal and while I will stretch a purchase if it's close to Black Friday for a deal I typically don't spend all that much on this weekend. Second, I have yet to not be able to find the deal online. Third, the greatest ROI on every dollar you will ever get is not spending the dollar.

I've made a few purchases today online but I'm still in my bathrobe...

I went to Lowe's a little while ago for something unrelated to BF and it wasn't very busy .

Have seen mixed results. Went to the closest Sam's Club nearest us, and there were no lines at the cashier. Cashier said everyone came in at 8 am and purchased electronics and left.

Costco south of us was very busy. Lots more money in that county to spend. Seemed Costco had better deals. We got our Black Friday deals there and left. Bought mostly food items at both places.

I can't go shop; I am at work. The day after Thanksgiving is one of those days the deadwood always takes off as a "personal" day, so the three of us who DID come in today are extra busy doing our stuff (yesterday's and today's stuff) plus everybody else's stuff today.

Reactions: GON
Back