Havoline ProDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree with everything said so give me an idea. I have 30 years master tech before surgery done me in so with scanner, tires, etc. normal I am out of options as I have never seen this or experienced it. I have driven with economy on and off. I was driving with the button off until I got one tank of 13 mpg. Many different stations none matter so I have stuck with Exxon.

Originally Posted by tiger862

Never said from 0w20 to 5w20
I went from 5w20 to 5w20 Napa (Valvoline) to Havoline ProDs cause it was cheaper

But you also never said that👆either. People can only work with what you provide them.

Even still, I'm gonna go out on a limb(...‚) and say it's IMPOSSIBLE for you to realize a drop in F/E from one 5w20 brand to another 5w20 brand. Maybe you got a hold of some bad gas or have low tire pressure or whatever IDK..but it's not from going from 5w20 to 5w20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Never said from 0w20 to 5w20
I went from 5w20 to 5w20 Napa (Valvoline) to Havoline ProDs cause it was cheaper

But you also never said that👆either. People can only work with what you provide them.

Even still, I'm gonna go out on a limb(...‚) and say it's IMPOSSIBLE for you to realize a drop in F/E from one 5w20 brand to another 5w20 brand. Maybe you got a hold of some bad gas or have low tire pressure or whatever IDK..but it's not from going from 5w20 to 5w20.

Yeah... alignment issue (toe in or out maybe?) might cause it... but not oil. My 300 is reporting 27-28mpg running 0w40. The same exact mpg it said on 0w20 and 5w20. Our van is still getting its normal 20-21.

If I were you I'd dump the Havoline and go back to the NAPA and see what happens.
That will tell you if it's the oil or the vehicle....

Originally Posted by pbm
If I were you I'd dump the Havoline and go back to the NAPA and see what happens.
That will tell you if it's the oil or the vehicle....

No it won't. But if returning to the prior lube makes one feel better, by all means do it. [If] there is a bona fide drop in F/E then there is something else at play aside from the lube. Going from one brands 5w20 to another's is not going to register any appreciable difference in F/E; maybe in a lab/controlled setting on a dyno but not so far as the consumer can tell in real world application. Just far too many variables to establish correlation.

There are a thousand other variables that can cause the mileage drop, including perception that driving style has not changed when in fact it has. That's not a shot, but rather reality that could happen to any of us.

It could be engine deposits, increased ethanol in the fuel (just because it says 10% or 15% doesn't mean that's what it has been. I tested my local Shell and it had about 6%. They could easily raise it to 10 and who whould know?) Valve deposits reaching a point of impacting mileage, etc.

Send a sample of that oil for a UOA when you change it out and let's see the viscosity. That's really the only place it could be very different, and even then, as others have said, it wouldn't be noticeable except when spread over a million cars.

I ran 5w20 in my 08 Jeep for 80k miles, then tried 10w30 and even 0w40. It made zero percieveable or noticeable difference in the fuel economy.

Last edited:
Did you do anything else when you changed your oil other than change the oil and filter?

Any brake work?

How is your tire air pressure?

Doubt it is the oil. I see no difference between 0w20 and 0w40 in real world driving.

Just changed my driving pattern this past month and it is major in town down town Fort Worth driving from a lot of highway and small town driving.. That impacted my average. By about 3 mpg. But it's not the oil

I have noticed after the oil change to ProDS 5w20 my fuel economy has dropped. I used excuse of idling, city driving etc. Have checked everything from computer codes to tire pressure nothing is off. I had a funeral to go to so about 400 miles and again I am off right at 3 mpg on average. I had time today to check bottles and website which now I can say it is oil. The only one that is fuel economy one is 0w20 which states an improvement of a 2% over other grades and 5w20 can be replaced with 0w20 to get fuel savings. All grades are for extended drains with severe driving not fuel economy
My situation 60 miles shorter on tank of fuel at 2.50 a gallon is costing me 7.50 a tank so savings on oil is wiped out by 1 tank therefore costing me more money
On the the trip before if I set cruise at 70 dash would show high 28 with average of 24.5 so checked this morning and it shows 23.6 and highest I saw was 25.3 and will know exact figure once I fill up but already know it is off. Less than 12k on vehicle with 20.9 average before change and 17 average after change
Lowest before change was 17 lowest after was 13
Now do I dump this or wait? 2500 miles on oil since April so I was going to April then decided to change at 5k since mileage is down now I know how much it costs more I just want to cut my losses and dump it. It is a shame cause I don't have any problems other than fuel mileage. Opinions appreciated.

In the end you ask for opinions so here goes.

According to Fuelly "Based on data from 38 vehicles, 808 fuel-ups and 204,770 miles of driving, the 2018 Dodge Grand Caravan gets a combined Avg MPG of 18.73"
http://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/grand_caravan/2018

Your statement above refers to 'dash shows' 28, 24.5, 25.3 etc etc etc... its been covered here before that there are so many variables to get those numbers..and is not accurate.

IMHO if you factor in all your numbers... you are stating that you are getting better than the average guy.. so with that be thankful.

Reality is going to be that no matter what oil you use... that is going to be hard to break the 20mpg average.. if you combine city and highway driving.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Did you do anything else when you changed your oil other than change the oil and filter?

Any brake work?

Ethanol conc are a minimum IIRC?? Maybe he got a hold of some gas with a high(er) ethanol content? (ethanol goes up, btu's go down)

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Gebo

Any brake work?

Ethanol conc are a minimum IIRC?? Maybe he got a hold of some gas with a high(er) ethanol content? (ethanol goes up, btu's go down)

Nope nothing changed except oil
11900 miles so not even broken in yet. Factory oil, Napa Synthetic Blend then ProDs
Since this oil change in April mileage is off even gave it some time to improve since this is the first Synthetic oil change
Only E10
Tire pressure normal (36)
No codes

Thanks for the comments everyone. After my short trip to AutoZone I had to merge into traffic and with rpms this engine turns that was reason for Synthetic. I just didn't look to see if it was fuel economy oil like say Valvoline so my mistake. I will run full OCI then go back to Valvoline but that won't be anytime soon as I am half way through this OCI.

This thread is wack but here's my 2¢:

Maybe the engine was overfilled and now there's more drag accordingly

I have noticed after the oil change to ProDS 5w20 my fuel economy has dropped. I used excuse of idling, city driving etc. Have checked everything from computer codes to tire pressure nothing is off. I had a funeral to go to so about 400 miles and again I am off right at 3 mpg on average. I had time today to check bottles and website which now I can say it is oil. The only one that is fuel economy one is 0w20 which states an improvement of a 2% over other grades and 5w20 can be replaced with 0w20 to get fuel savings. All grades are for extended drains with severe driving not fuel economy
My situation 60 miles shorter on tank of fuel at 2.50 a gallon is costing me 7.50 a tank so savings on oil is wiped out by 1 tank therefore costing me more money
On the the trip before if I set cruise at 70 dash would show high 28 with average of 24.5 so checked this morning and it shows 23.6 and highest I saw was 25.3 and will know exact figure once I fill up but already know it is off. Less than 12k on vehicle with 20.9 average before change and 17 average after change
Lowest before change was 17 lowest after was 13
Now do I dump this or wait? 2500 miles on oil since April so I was going to April then decided to change at 5k since mileage is down now I know how much it costs more I just want to cut my losses and dump it. It is a shame cause I don't have any problems other than fuel mileage. Opinions appreciated.

I don't know what happened but I just filled up today from the trip and had a hand calculated fuel mileage of 25.7. This is the best I have ever averaged and the trip took an hour longer than usual each way due to Baton Rouge traffic. I guess I worried about nothing. 25% city 75% hwy

Update. As much as we don't want to believe that an oil change will have a negative effect here is one case that it is so. I have a bunch of running around to do coming up so I went ahead and changed the oil and filter back to Valvoline Daily Protection 5w20 with the belief that what do I have to lose. I did 143 miles with a quarter of a tank burned and this is stop and go, back roads along with some idling even 6500 RPM rev. I never reset the mpg on dash but watched it to see if it would go up, down or stay the same. It went up and is still going up but truth will be when I fill up. Keep in mind I was filling up at 300 miles due to below a quarter of a tank and now I'm have way there now and still have 3/4 tank so mileage definitely improved. The gauge was at 17.2 and today I went to store 6 miles and looked the gauge is 21.8
I guess fuel economy oil works.

2018 Grand Caravan

Last edited:
Looking forward to more updates.

One thing I don't believe has been mentioned is that there is a theory that a different oil lays down its own additives after stripping off additives that were in place previously. Although 3mpg is a huge hit, it may be possible that there is a time when friction increases during the additive changeover.

But that won't explain why the mpg went back up suddenly....hence waiting for more updates...
35.gif

Neither does it explain the mileage hit as soon as Havoline ProDs was put in. I tried so many things cause I like the cost of oil and convenience of 6qt. box. Oh well at least I can get 225 engine quarantee from Valvoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back