Having kids.....1.5 per family the norm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
An interesting thing we noticed after the third kid is the reactions of other people when you go to the grocerie store. If I take them by myself I am this awsome superhero dad who everyone admires. If she takes them all people look at her like she is a horrible single mom who can’t keep her legs together.

You could be my oldest friend - we're 41 but otherwise your story is exactly the same (though his #4 and 5 were surprise twins) and this anecdote is right on. They have on multiple occasions had waiters in restaurants tell them that some random stranger anonymously paid their bill for them. He's a partner at a law firm making about $200k.

I have 3 kids, two girls 8 and 6 and a boy 2. The latter was my wife's desire more than mine but fortunately he's healthy, good natured and a great sleeper
grin.gif

I always said anyone who had 3 kids was insane. I still believe it
crazy2.gif
We were on easy street with the two girls, but I do love the little guy and couldn't imagine things without him.

jeff

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Why would you be so willing to give up such a basic right when your country has no overbreeding problem?

Because "basic rights" come with massive responsibility that fewer and fewer people have these days. Breeding quantity instead of quality is where the problem comes in. As I said, it doesn't take any brains to screw. Look at the black inner cities in this country. One woman with 6 kids. And she doesn't have a clue who any of the fathers are. Or the Hispanic neighborhoods. Where one last name shows up for a family picnic, and it looks like the turnout for a Yankee's game when they're in the World Series. And most all of them are financially inept and struggling to make ends meet.

Just because someone has "basic rights", doesn't mean they are capable of exercising them. How many idiots own guns who shouldn't? How many couples breed like field mice, then end up divorced a few years later? Or else have 6 kids when they can barely afford one? These kids grow up without proper parental supervision, or the necessities of life because the parents themselves are irresponsible idiots, who ended up raising idiots. The girls end up pregnant at 15, and the boys end up in gangs. Either selling, or else addicted to drugs, in jail, or all of the above. It's become an endless stream of either dysfunctional, or else non existent families in this country.

Then they become part of the "system" that we end up paying for. In and out of foster homes, family courtrooms, prisons, Welfare, Public Assistance, city or corporate funded daycare. Or else tapping into some other form of the, "Great Society" that has proven to be anything but. If intelligence, education, secure finances, and common sense were required to raise a family, we wouldn't be in this mess. But a night in the sack doesn't require any of the above. Just a Welfare State to pay for all of it, because chances are they can't.

This plays out much the same in the animal world. If you want a purebred dog from good, high quality registered bloodlines, you'll pay through the nose. Or you can adopt inbred mixed breed puppies at most any animal shelter. They have more of them than they know what to do with. Right back to quantity over quality.

Originally Posted By: billt460

This plays out much the same in the animal world. If you want a purebred dog from good, high quality registered bloodlines, you'll pay through the nose.

First generation hybrid mutts will be healthier than any "high quality registered bloodline"

Originally Posted By: Shannow
First generation hybrid mutts will be healthier than any "high quality registered bloodline"

Or you can adopt inbred mixed breed puppies at most any animal shelter. They have more of them than they know what to do with. Right back to quantity over quality.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

This plays out much the same in the animal world. If you want a purebred dog from good, high quality registered bloodlines, you'll pay through the nose.

That's all I was saying...I wasn't responding to the majority of your rant about surnames, picnics and races...just the elitist "purebred dog" garbage.

Kids and grandkids are a blessing , without them life would be unfulfilled....

I love when my grandkids want to go to Chick Fil A for a chicken nugget meal and frosty.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I am odd.

Married with five kids. 6 months to 7years old. Mid 30s. Married a year and a half before the first one was born. All kids were intentional. Multiple times have my wife and I had to explain this to people, even doctors, because it isn’t normal around here. With the third kid we were at a prenatal appointment with our wedding rings on and the doctor asked if I was the father. My wife and I were blown away by this but the doctor said I have to ask because it isn’t the case usually.

Money is tight now because we chose to send our kids to a private school instead of the public one. Money never factored into our descision to have kids. My wife quit working after the third kid because day care would have cost as much as she was making but she works part time when she can. She stays busy chasing the kids around and taking them to activities.

I couldn’t imagine life without all five kids.

An interesting thing we noticed after the third kid is the reactions of other people when you go to the grocerie store. If I take them by myself I am this awsome superhero dad who everyone admires. If she takes them all people look at her like she is a horrible single mom who can’t keep her legs together.

jhellwig you are a good man with a good wife....and don't let anyone tell you anything different.

To all those that think the world is overpopulated...if you are such a champion to your cause look in the mirror and put up or shut up.

You could always do like my niece does. She's 36 and has a seven year old son. Refuses to work and lives at home with her dad(retired). She has a great college degree in teaching, with specialized training for disabled children (she knows sign language).

She worked one year out of college then got pregnant by her boyfriend. Moved in with dad, and now has a great life of tanning out by the pool, getting her nails done, and going out for nice dinners.

She gets a nice welfare check every month, plus great doctors for herself and her son. Food stamps, cell phones, and anything else she can scam for free.

She has NO intention of working until the benefits stop when the boy turns 18.

NO ambition to do anything in life. Doesn't want her own house, car, furniture etc.

She's never earned anything in her life. Her dad just bought her a very nice new Honda Accord. And last Christmas her grandmother (my MIL), bought her a expensive Louie purse.

Times are much different than when I grew up in the 60's-70's.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

I don't believe the world is "over-populated". Period.

I fly the globe. Quite simply, there are vast stretches of land with few inhabitants. We are nowhere near saturated.

If I were to guess, I'd say the earth can easily support double or even triple our current population.

Here is what is wrong with that logic:

1. You are assuming the extra billions and billions are going to live as it is today..that is with 2/3's of the population living with almost no energy consumption. You require 10 ++ times the average energy consumption as the lower 2/3's

2. Providing for these people will require vastly more land and resources (energy, energy,energy, food food, food).

I won't wast my time going further.

The problem with energy is we are at the limit of oxygen production. More people needing more energy/food , etc. requiring vastly more deforestation is rapid extinction. Horrible way to dry.

I am surprised that a very intelligent person like you would totally not see that..:eek:
shocked.gif

It pains me that my parents were able to pay instate tuition for me and two siblings but not looking good except my third/last child who is spaced 6 years from next.

I think the salary not in check with tuition is culprit now cooupled to easy access loans.

Originally Posted By: Al
Here is what is wrong with that logic:

1. You are assuming the extra billions and billions are going to live as it is today..that is with 2/3's of the population living with almost no energy consumption. You require 10 ++ times the average energy consumption as the lower 2/3's

2. Providing for these people will require vastly more land and resources (energy, energy,energy, food food, food).

I won't wast my time going further.

The problem with energy is we are at the limit of oxygen production. More people needing more energy/food , etc. requiring vastly more deforestation is rapid extinction. Horrible way to dry.

I am surprised that a very intelligent person like you would totally not see that.

You bring up a good point about energy. Compare what an upper middle class American citizen consumes in energy in one year. To what a Chinese citizen does who lives on average, in a 645 sq. ft. apartment. Or a North Korean who is lucky to have ANY electrical service. Neither own cars. Some are lucky to have a bicycle.

Here in 2009 the average home size was 2,700 sq. ft. Up from 1,400 sq. ft. in 1970. Most families have at least 2 cars. Some 3 or more. Add boats, motorcycles, ATV's, RV's, and we are massive consumers of energy compared to other nations. One American consumes over 10 fold what many citizens do in other countries. Even Japan where automobile ownership is strictly regulated, and expensive. Most there rely heavily on public transportation. As do many in Continental Europe.

There is no way we could support the energy consumption of this nation if we were to triple, or even double our current population of over 326 million. Certainly not for long without serious setbacks.

There is no way we could support the energy consumption of this nation if we were to triple, or even double our current population of over 326 million. Certainly not for long without serious setbacks.

I think its worse than that built...If the world would use even the average amount of energy that the upper third uses. The planet could not support it.

We have so much and take it for granted. Note: I am not suggesting we shouldn't have it..but suggest we should appreciate what we have in the good 'ol USA
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back